2730P WiFi Switch Won't Move

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ScubaX, May 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Two days ago I turned off my WiFi during an 8 hour conference conserve the battery. Yesterday when I went to turn it on, the switch would not move. It is stuck so solidly it feels like there is something jamming it. Anyone run into this issue?

Anyway to turn the wireless back on without this switch?

2. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

hmmm... i cant say i remember anyone having this issue. Its possible to go into windows mobility center and turning it on there.

3. ScubaX

Nope, its all grayed out. I guess it's into HP for warranty repair.

4. ScubaX

Contacted HP via chat and they are sending me a box. Hope this is quick, they said turn around is 3-4 days plus shipping time. Now I gotta get a cat-5 cable so I can back up - no way to get wireless on.

5. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I had a similar issue but ended up breaking mine in the on position (the switch slides back and forth with no resistance now). I did not bother to get it fixed yet since I can turn it on and off via the software method.

6. ScubaX

Mine is solidly stuck in the off position and I don't want to force it and break it more and void the warranty. All the options for turning on the WiFi are grayed out. I have not looked at the device manager yet, maybe I can turn it on there.

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

Probably a good idea. Keep us posted on how this goes, it's always interesting to hear about HP warrenty work (Excellent or horrible :p)

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

I didn't break mine intentionally and was bummed out when it happened. I was lucky it happened in the on state is all.

9. ScubaX

Device manager won't help as it is enabled there. Anyway, the box arrived today and I will ship it tomorrow.

I think I will contact HP chat and see if they can look at the accuracy of my screen/pen. It bugs that it is not as accurate as my Gateway. Seems like for a business machine, it should be as good or better than a TPC that costs much less.

Also, I can't get the bios password to disable. It keeps insisting the TPM Preboot and a couple other things be disabled. None of which are present and TPM is not being used. It did accept a change, but won't let me put in a blank password.

10. fldrice

fldrice Pen Pal - Newbie

The switch fell off its track on the motherboard. If you are comfortable with removing the keyboard and the top cover, you can reset the switch to the correct position. Otherwise, give HP a call.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.