2730p second battery and accessories

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by turbomacncheese, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese Pen Pal - Newbie

My 2730p has only one battery. Is the second battery the same as the first one or is there a specific battery? I only see the one port on the bottom, which makes it seem like it would wobble. Is there a way for it to clip in securely? Does it require the dock? I've already got an external lightscribe dvd writer. What are the most useful accessories for this thing?

Thanks
    Tony

2. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Tony,
    It is called the 'slice battery' and it covers the entire bottom of the 2730P. The battery itself has a latch that catches on the bottom of the device.

The slice battery doubles the battery life and the extra weight is only necessary when you need it. When I was testing with my 2730P I would use it to record my test data and then when the battery alarm would sound I would take the slice out of my bag and clip it on extending my time. This is better than using the AC adapter since where I was testing I would not have access to a plug.

As far as other accessories I found that a zipper 'pad portfolio', the kind that has an 8.5x11 pad of paper in it, will hold it for carrying it around. Put it in, zip it up, and off you go. In that portfolio I used to keep a Wacom 'penabled' pen with eraser. That way I would not have to take the one out of the silo when I wanted to write something.

I chose to go with the dock as well. It makes hook up at home to a mouse, keyboard, and external monitor a breeze. When the slice battery is in place if you needed it during the day the whole thing mates to the dock and charges the main battery first and then the slice. In the mornign when you are ready for work or school you pull it off the dock, remove the battery and put it in your bag, put the 2730P in the portfolio and go!

Hope this helps!

3. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

4. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

My unit came with the dock, and that really is useful. You get heaps of extra ports, and it is a good place to park the tablet for recharging automatically.

I bought 2 secondary batteries (they were very cheap) and I rarely use the unit without them. They make the tablet a little heavy, but really extend the battery life to a useful extent - over 6 hours on my unit. Since they securely cover the entire base of the tablet, the tablet is cooler to use and the battery provides some protection from accidentally restricting airflow through the unit.

As a bonus, docking and undocking now only wears the contacts on the dock and the battery, reducing the chances of needing to repair the same connector on the tablet itself (I tend to keep my gear for a very long time :) )

5. turbomacncheese

turbomacncheese Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the pictures!!

6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Couple of things to add:

1) I'm not sure if this will work, but they came out with a new dock/expansion base for the 2740, and it has two very useful ports the other base is lacking: an eSata for fast data communications and a displayport for digital video and audio. What I'm not sure of is whether yu can use the new base on the 2730. I think there's a 50% chance you can, and since it costs the same and has those very valuable addition, I'd give HP a call and ge the answer.

Second, in case it wasn't clear, the slice battery, while a big weighty (adds 1.2lbs to the 3.7 lb computer) it adds no meaningful size and it fits as ithgt as a drum. Other than the extra lb in your back pack, it'll be like you haven't changed a thing.

Enjoy!

7. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

you can use the base with the 2730p. It will, infact work with all 2700 series tablets.

And if you're looking for one cheap, check the buy/trade/sell sub forum on these boards.

8. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Seems like the dock is physically compatible, though thicker, but you may not get any extra functionality. See this thread:

Re: Is the 2740p Tablet compatible with the 2730p Ultra-Slim... - HP Support Forum

9. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I could have sworn that the 2740p dock was incomparable with the 2730p. I'm pretty sure I read that the e-SATA port, and the Display Port needed the different chipset/ architecture in the 2740p to function.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.