2730p - RAM, Win7 version. Experiences?

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by rjh, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Intending to upgrade from XP to Win7, on my 2730p with SSD.

Currently running as supplied with 2GB RAM. General SOHO use, some image editing, but generally heavy multitasking, heavy web use and home network.

What is the max memory possible to install in the 2730p, and what do people consider to be the "sweet spot" wrt to memory?

With that in mind, what is the most appropriate Win7 version for a fresh install - 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium or Professional?

Any comments or experiences appreciated. TIA.

2. bboraj

bboraj bboraj

Inking in W7 is great.
    I have a 160GB SSD (intel ) and it is great. I would highly reccomend it. Not only is it quicker I use my 2730 on the move and with no moving parts it is extremly reliable. I have shaken it severely to test it and no problems. I have 4gb of ram but W7 32 only recognise 2.9 so if possible go for W7 64 bit.

Go for both you wont be disappointed.

3. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Add 1Gb of RAM and go for 32 bit. There's no point in a 64 bit OS for SOHO use. Check what features Professional has that Home Premium lacks. For most people it is "none" ;-)

4. pmatulew

pmatulew Scribbler - Standard Member

Except for remote desktop.

If you ever think you might be leaving the tablet home and dialing in from somewhere else, you'll need it to have RDP host capability.

If the tablet is your remote workstation, then no worries. Win 7 Home has the RDP client.

5. excalibur1814

excalibur1814 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ahh, if you've got the cash then get the full 4Gb ram and x64... you'll then be pretty much set for Windows 8 :)

The minimum would be 1Gb ram, 2Gb being sensible, 3Gb being more than enough, 4Gb showing off and 6/8Gb being super sexy and people would probably cry as you walked past. Over 8Gb and you'd be showing off or doing saucy things like virtual machines. :)

If you're going to be part of a domain, Pro, if not, stick with Home premium.

The bottom line is this: If you're going to keep the machine for a few years and you have the cash then heck, get the full 4Gb, x64 Windows to use all of it and there you go. Ram isn't exactly expensive and when you do come to sell (if), future buyers may find the machine quite nice due to the beefed up specs (Although you probably won't get much for it though).

6. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

To interject, the 2730p uses DDR2 ram, up to 8GB (ie: 2 sticks of 4GB), which is very expensive at about $150, sure you can buy smaller sticks of ram... but if you actually have a use for that much ram (as I do) then there is no alternative to more ram; and if your system was like mine then it has 2 1GB sticks and not 1 2GB stick which means you would have to buy bigger sticks of ram anyways (it would be best to open the panel on the bottom and checking to see what your current ram config is)

Depending on how your uses are (how much ram your applications/ multi-tasking uses, as well as how much SSD space you would need) it would be worth it to buy only some ram (1 stick or 2GB, or one stick of 4GB so upgrading is easier in the future), and putting the saved money towards a bigger/ better SSD -The new Intel 1.8" SSD's come in sizes up to 300GB

I got my ram from newegg as they almost always have the cheapest prices, are reliable, and have a decent return policy (here is a link to their page on all the DDR2 ram they have Newegg.com - PCs & Laptops, Laptop Accessories, Laptop Memory, 200-Pin DDR2 SO-DIMM), for the SSD you can either buy used (try and avoid ebay, but things like NBR's market place almost always get you good drives Norebookreview marketplace), or new (anywhere that is reputable is fine as long as the price is good)

7. Hattori Hanzo

Hattori Hanzo Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, we should maybe know wha "heavy multitasking" is. Some people find Excel, Word, Outlook and a browser is that, for others this is just normal computer usage.

I don't get why currently everybody thinks he needs a 64 bit OS. Where's the real advantage?
    Practically, the increased disk stress (larger binaries and DLL, do not underestimate that!) and the higher RAM usage is the only real world difference for most people. If you have 32bit and 3GB or 64bit and 4GB is practically about the same. If you need more RAM, there's no sane way around 64 bit but you should go for 6GB plus to really have a benefit.

Get a 2GB stick and be happy. If you decide to switch to x64 later you can be happy that Win7 keys are the same for either version.

8. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks to everybody who contributed.

Just to clarify, I already have the SSD installed, and initially simply cloned my old XP installation to the new drive.

I've just tried Windows 7 Home Premium, and it seems to do everything I need. Need workgroup functionality but not support for domains, and I only have one processor. The 64 bit version installed just fine in 2GB, and runs OK - very nice. Definitely a no-brainer upgrade from XP, just for the tablet functionality alone.

I think I'll probably stick with this config, as it allows me to add more memory later - I'll see how this goes. There is no price difference for 32 vs 64 bit.

Heavy multitasking for me, is (was) a 2-3GB PF (in XP) - usually 2-3 dozen Chrome tabs open, Picasa, GIMP, Thunderbird, LibreOffice, and uptimes of weeks.

I highly recommend this upgrade to SSD and Windows 7, even without the memory upgrade the system is really very nice to use, though some of that will be because this is a fresh and clean install with very minimal HP crapware added at this stage.

9. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

OK, just a final update.

I decided to go for it and install the whole 8GB of RAM - I use this machine a lot and cannot see any point in waiting until the system is at the end of its life before upgrading, and a replacement is certainly not on the horizon (and what would I replace this 2730p with, anyway?)

Plus, with the USD in the toilet and my own currency rapidly climbing, now is a great time to buy products priced in USD.

8GB is probably overkill (I think 4GB is probably the sweet spot for Win7) but it allows me to run fine without any of the drive thrashing evident in XP and 2GB. Hopefully SSD life will be improved as a result. Plus dual channel memory immediately shows a performance gain (although no corresponding increase in the Windows Experience rating, which is limited by the graphics on this system).

Downside to 8GB is the longer resume from hibernate time. It may be quicker to reboot :)

I can't see any point in getting the fastest SSD available, there are many more limiting factors than SSD speed.

If you think your 2730p is getting tired, and don't require extremely fast graphics, then upgrading to even a cheap SSD, increasing RAM and/or installing Win7 (if you are on XP) is highly recommended. Battery life does not seem to be adversely affected (I use a couple of slice batteries).

System generally runs cooler than it did before the upgrade, and certainly quieter. It is much more responsive, and a delight to use.

10. peterf

peterf Scribbler - Standard Member

It sucks that it uses DDR2 which made your 8GB of RAM expensive, but it might be worth it. I just put 8GB in my 2740p which uses DDR3 so it only cost me $50 but I absolutely love it. 8GB RAM combined with my SSD makes it really fast and I can pretty much have as much stuff as I want open at all times.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.