2730p Digitizer Issues

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by Incitatus, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. runningcode

runningcode Pen Pal - Newbie

being nice isn't "not calling his bs". you aren't required to be overly grateful and nice to people that ruin your stuff. you are just doing yourself a disservice if you don't.
    if a hp agent came to my house without any knowledge of how to disassemble my machine i wouldn't even let him touch it. i would have just called hp customer service right away and escalate the case.

hp better replace that machine and pronto with a brand new one. if not I would call the better business bureau or local news station or something to get the word out.

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I have a similar issue with my 2730p in that when I do the initial calibration, the bottom line of points are off by about 1/2". All I did was estimate the correct spot to get through the calibration. Then I redo the calibration with the fewer points and it seems to improve it quite a lot. Not perfect, but workable enough. I would be interested in you results, I will also PM you with my email to get that firmware.

3. Incitatus

Incitatus Scribbler - Standard Member

With a heavy sigh...

I gave the HP engineer who broke the tablet a chance to make it right.

Seemed like the right idea, He got this logistics guy to have a 2740p mailed to me next day. (I'm not going to argue about an upgrade for my troubles :) )
    So I got it this morning. And it is not "New" as I had thought, but refurbished. this means that it has a 1 year warranty on it, not the standard 3 year. That's okay, I'm positive with a call or two I can have the warranty migrated.

The machine shipped to me does not have a WLAN card in it. Uncool because the 2730p's WLAN card is incompatible.

the top lid does not close snugly to the rest of the machine, with a lot of wiggle and play to the point of excessive and uncomfortable to hold in slate mode.

On top of that, it seems to have a violently flickering display.

So... I called the HP engineer again, explained to him all of my concerns. He is going to talk to the logistics guy and see about sending another one out.

I'm debating whether or not to call HP tech support and pursue a BRAND NEW one as well.

Upgrade = Cool, replacement is also a lemon = Uncool.

I appreciate the effort I'm seeing. It seems like they are trying to make this right in a great way... but their quality control system SUCKS, BIG TIME.

4. Zweistein

Zweistein Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello Inciatus,

I seem to have a problem very similar to yours. I have a 2730p bought from Ebay.

Could you send me the firmware update from HP, please? I'm hoping it might help me, since I'm not exactly in the position to ask for a replacement unit.

Thanks.

5. Incitatus

@Zweistein
    Send me a PM with a non-gmail email address and i'll send it to you.
    HP sent it to me as a .zip containing an .exe gmail, for obvious security issues won't allow transit of emails containing .exe files, archived or not.
    I have a University Email address I can use to forward it, though.

HP is sending me out another refurbished 2740p with an outdoor viewing display on top of the already loaded configuration I had previously.

Here's to me hoping that as of this Friday, when Laptop #3 arrives, that I'll be done with this mess.

6. Incitatus

So friday came and went... the tablet was never mailed.
    Okay, big oversight, no big deal. They set out to mail the tablet to me for today.

I get a call this morning, and much to my anticipated angst, it was not going to be delivered today either, it was mailed to Houston Texas, instead of to me. Why is anyone's guess. But I was assured an identical model will be mailed to me for delivery tomorrow.

Keep in mind these are all "next day air Priority FedEx express" shipments.

Watch me hold my breath that someone at HP might actually come through for me on this latest promise for resolution.

7. Incitatus

So I figured I'd update the resolution.
    HP sent me another 2 refurbished 2740Ps.

The First one they sent me had a working outdoor display but a stripped configuration and a loose hinge, the second had an i7vpro with a 160gb intel SSD, but a faulty digitzer, and the third had an i5vpro with a new 2740p docking station but also another faulty digitizer.

All in all, each time they sent me a refurb, they sent me one that had some kind of issue (unbeknownst to them), but they added some kind of perk to try and make me happy given all the failures of the case.

So I took matters into my own hands. With the now 4 elitebooks in my possesion I tore them down and swapped parts. The hinge from the defunct display to repalce the hinge of the outdoor display. The Outdoor Display then to replace the defunct display of the i7 machine.

In the end, one month to the day that I purchased the defective unit I have a happy solution.

I spent $669, 20+ phone calls, 4 months back and forth, and the technical knowledge and skill to tear apart these machines to end up with a fully functional, fully loaded configuration that retails at ~$3200

So in the end, I'm quite Happy. :)

8. dceggert

dceggert Owner of a TabletPC Museum Senior Member

Oh my gosh...I just stumbled on this thread. It makes me rethink the potentially stupid idea I have been kicking around about buying a new Slate (Win 7) when it is released in the unknown distant future.

Lucky for me my 2730P with Win 7 runs just fine, but I must admit that it is not handling the daily use durability as well as the old TC1100, Motion LS800, or my very old Thinkpad laptop(s). My keyboard light latch broke in the open position (I slipped a piece of cardboard inside the bezel to hold it closed), all the rubber feet are gone, the silver paint or whatever finish it is is wearing off revealing gray plastic underneath, and the trackpad moves the curser around when I am using it in tablet mode (I have to turn the trackpad off). And on top of all that it is also suffering from the reported 'latch' issues.

Not a good sign for this US based computer company...

But I will add this to reiterate...it runs like there is no tomorrow!

9. Incitatus

Not resolved afterall. The current machine has a backlight flicker and this strange behavior where occasionally on AC power it starts right clicking all of the corners rapidly.

I narrowed the second problem down to the digitizer, as it only occurs after installing wacom drivers.

This is entirely ridiculous. I'm calling HP up and politely emphasizing the case history, and demanding a Brand new replacement. I will not accept another refurbished lemon.

If the brand new replacement has ANYTHING wrong with it. I'm hocking it and buying a Lenovo. I think I've exhibited exemplary patience with HP, in the middle of a semester nonetheless (And I'm NOT a communications major :p)

10. Incitatus

HA!

Contacting HP on the matter, they escalated the case to Customer relations.
    Customer realtions has reviewed the case and is now offering me a Brand New 2740p to replace the current refurbished one I have, citing that I should never have been given a refurb to replace my original machine.

I have told the Case manager that I want a replacement identical in Configuration to the Machine I have currently (i7, 4gigs, outdoor view, INtel Wireless N, bluetooth, yadda yadda)

I'm not sure what happened next. The following email is what I got:
    So I called Sales and explained the situation to a sales rep. Placed the order, and he wanted to confirm the details with the Case manager before submitting. Called me back 5 min later and said I would be expecting a call back from my Case manager momentarily and they would finalize the process.

That was Monday. yesterday I called the sales rep who called the case manager. The Case manager never responded to either my Calls or the Sales rep's calls.
    4 hours later, with no responce, I call the Sales rep who suggested that the case manager may either not know what to do, or not be willing to help further, and that I should try to get someone else in the department to help.
    He emailed the CM, and i called the Customer Relations mainline and had the service lady email him aswell.

Today, still no responce, I emailed him aswell.

I am determined to get some kind of responce from this guy... Otherwise after my thrusday exams, I will just call his department and speak with his boss and try to get this resolved over his head. Because at this point... I'm about ready to lay the machine down in traffic and submit this entire thread to The Consumerist and every similar Publication.

But I still remain delightful and gracious, albeit persistant, in my dealings with HP... My patience is wearing THIN though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.