2730p bios password reset

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jlelectronics, May 26, 2014.

1. drvenom

drvenom Scribbler - Standard Member

Forget about it and buy another motherboard. I had a similar problem. My stupid hard drive locked me out a while back. It was asking me for some password that I never remember setting up. I researched and realized that a few people were having this problem on the HP 2710p. I called HP and they were unable to help. I had no choice but to cough up the cash for a new hard drive. I suggest you do the same with the motherboard. Besides, not many people will be willing to help you "crack" a bios pass. Also, taking apart the tablet is not that difficult. Just remember to label the cables and screws. :)

2. KLF

KLF Scribbler - Standard Member

I saw one online reseller providing tc4400 with locked bios. I did some initial searching, as it had good specs otherwise.

In the service manual is also said to remove rtc battery for a moment, just like 2710p, but there was an addition that IF certain switch is used in bios only motherboard replacement will work.

Without that switch battery reset works.

I just placed a bid on another tc4400 without bios password. :) It's not worth it, in case something goes bad and I need access to bios.

3. Marie-Jo Jones

Marie-Jo Jones Pen Pal - Newbie

Just experienced the problem. HP doesn't have a routine/device to reset the password.Only way was to get the motherboard replaced.
    There's a website which offers a soft to reset it for about 25 dollars. Emailed them but they didn't reply. So I didn't trust this solution.

4. Marie-Jo Jones

Marie-Jo Jones Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, in my case, it took a seasoned HP technician 2.5 hours to change the motherboard and rebuild the tablet. Watched him all the way. It's miniature watch-maker stuff. Would not have liked to have to do it myself...

5. tvu732

tvu732 Pen Pal - Newbie

If you forget the password of the BIOS Administrator account, then I don't know the answer. :p But if you, like me, have set up a password because HP ProtectTools asked you to do so when you first opened your 2730p, I believe it is not a BIOS Admin password and can be changed. The solution is to create a new BIOS Admin password, then log in to BIOS Administrator account and delete the old user account.

This is how to do it:
    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...bu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc/loc/rbu_category/alerts

6. usmantahir101

usmantahir101 Pen Pal - Newbie

Can this Stringent Security be recovered by rewriting BIOS, Using some hardware/software tool to the other computer ?????

7. mysoulishome

mysoulishome Pen Pal - Newbie

SOLUTION: This is what I did and worked like a dream. Contacted HP, told them the problem. They "escalated the case," took my info. The next day I was emailed a file called SMC.bin. It is formatted specifically for my machine, has to match the UUID. Copied file to FAT 32 formatted jump drive, booted it as per the email instructions, reset bios password.

I did this via chat on HP's website.

Screwing with the bios battery will not work on Elitebook...

8. jlelectronics

jlelectronics Pen Pal - Newbie

the easy and save way to do it it's by replacing the bios chip with a new one that way you dont have to worry about computrace later on you can buy it on ebay for 25buck and if you cant do it ask a tech around you area