2730p bios password reset

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by jlelectronics, May 26, 2014.

1. juaO

juaO Pen Pal - Newbie

Can anyone tell me how can I reset my bios passord... I've fogotten... :S

Thanks!

2. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I really doubt the 2730p's bios password can just be reset without the help of HP. It's a business class model designed to be secure.

Call them and prove ownership and they may have a way to do this.

Something in the spec's says
    - is that something for resetting it?

3. v0va

v0va Pen Pal - Newbie

I doubt you will be able to reset the BIOS password without some serious hacking, your SOL....sorry

4. Brian Forbes

Brian Forbes BigB

In the "Maintenance and Service Guide" for the 2730p on page 41 ... the following is stated:

"Unknown user password
    If the computer you are servicing has an unknown user password, follow these steps to clear the password:
    ✎These steps also clear CMOS.
    1. Shut down the computer. If you are unsure whether the computer is off or in Hibernation, turn the computer on,
    and then shut it down through the operating system.
    2. Disconnect all external devices connected to the computer.
    3. Disconnect the power from the computer by first unplugging the power cord from the AC outlet and then
    unplugging the AC adapter from the computer.
    4. Remove the battery (see “Battery” on page 4-8).
    5. Remove the real-time clock (RTC) battery (see “RTC battery” on page 4-23).
    6. Wait approximately 5 minutes.
    7. Replace the RTC battery and reassemble the computer.
    8. Connect AC power to the computer. Do not reinsert any batteries at this time.
    9. Turn on the computer.
    All passwords and all CMOS settings have been cleared."

Here is the link to this manual if you wish to read further or download it ...

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01593724/c01593724.pdf

Sorry to say that I tried this (which involved removing the keyboard and the top cover - which was a mission in itself !!) and the only thing that was reset was the date/time.

Any ideas how we can challenge HP on this one ?

5. rocke86

rocke86 Scribbler - Standard Member

The cmos battery doesn't look like the easiest thing to get at

[​IMG]

Depends on how experienced you are and if you want to take the risk.

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

for a business tablet it would be stupid if that works.

Normally there shouldn't be such an easy way to reset the BIOS password
    Sorry, but if a normal user can reset a password without knowing the password, then the password is almost needless. And the procedure to remove the RTC battery seems to be very simple.

If HP built it safe then you should have to send it in to them and they will flash the EEPROM. Should cost around 50$ probably and you'll have to show them your proof of purchase. At least this is how other companies handle such a situation.

If it's not really secure then it's possible that you can somehow reset the password by shorting a few pins. What pins, don't know. I just read that some people were successful with their notebooks, but I don't know what notebook this was. Maybe you find some information about other notebooks and try this with your tablet.

7. Kyle Porter

Kyle Porter Veteran Moderator Senior Member

If this is a successful way of doing that, i am honestly considering switching to a more secure tablet. The point of the preboot password is to keep people who don't know the password OUT. If they can get in this easily, thats just unsafe.

8. rocke86

rocke86 Scribbler - Standard Member

I think most pcs can be reset this way, If security is a concern, drive/file encryption is a must, and is much better than bios passwords since the drive can be removed and accessed on another pc. Most business pcs come with drive encryption software(I think the 2730p does but I don't use it because I don't need high security in my setting). If not truecrypt a free opensource app will do hard drives w/ preboot authentication(may not be pen friendly) or virtual drives to secure sensitive files.
    http://www.truecrypt.org/

9. Slidje

Slidje whats a slidje?

Removing the battery will not work, period. Its using the TPM platform which is rock solid. The only way i know to reset it is with a dell laptop that has a serial port, not this laptop.

Youll most likely need to send it HP, theyll replace the board or manually attach something to the circuit board to reset it.

10. Slidje

Slidje whats a slidje?

You could ask HP`s engineers how to do it if you can get through to them. Its resettable if you can attach something to the circuitboard but i dont have a clue where it would be.