2730p/2710p latch issues

Discussion in 'HP Elitebooks' started by rjh, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Anybody here experienced issues with the latch on the 2730p recently? Problem is the latch fails in tablet mode, is required to stop tablet springing open enough to switch display orientation.

What was the resolution - the latch doesn't look adjustable.

Real shame, as the 2730p is a fantastic tablet in almost every other respect.

2. ajwwong

ajwwong Pen Pal - Newbie

Latch is driving me crazy too. This is otherwise great, but latch frankly is cheap and doesn't belong on this quality machine.

3. ninetynine

ninetynine Pen Pal - Newbie

Has the latch been a problem from the beginning for you guys? Or has it just developed? How long have you had your machines?

4. ajwwong

ajwwong Pen Pal - Newbie

I've had mine for two months. It was bought lightly used. Problem has gotten significantly worse during this two months time. I use my machine a lot, though. (8 hours a day.) Still it shouldn't happen. It's still under warranty for another 2 years. So I might send it in. Otherwise this is an absolutely amazing machine.

5. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

Mine has had this problem from new, I'm pretty much at the point of having another go at getting HP to fix it.

Last time the repair company obtained the wrong part (display without webcam); scratched the top deck (and replaced it with one with failing lacquer finish); replaced the latch. All this really didn't make much difference, I have to jam in a business card to hold the latch in the right position.

I ended up with the unit out of commission and in pieces for a week, and once it was all back together, the deck and keyboard both bulge up enough to touch the screen when closed, or to wear the paint off the back in tablet mode. Audio cable was damaged during reassembly, and the latch still doesn't work.

It is such a shame, because I really like just about every other aspect of this tablet, for me, the latch is the only thing that lets it down.

I've seen a well used 2710p with perfect latching, so I know it can be done, has anybody seen faulty latch issues on recent samples?

Update: Fixed!

I decided to persevere and HP handled the problem internally (rather than contracting the repair out as previously). I'm a lot more happy about the competence of the HP guys than their contractors.

Damage caused by the previous repair meant that the top deck was replaced (again) and the keyboard needed to be replaced. Both the display and the lower body casing were replaced.

This means, that to repair the latch issue, the top deck and latch have been replaced twice; the keyboard, display, lower case have each been replaced once. The only thing that actually improved the latch issue was replacing the display unit. Everything has been replaced except for the system board and hard drive.

Some observations:

Having a 3 year on-site warranty is extremely useful, as it is possible to discuss the problem with the tech fixing it - as it turned out, this made getting all the wrinkles sorted much easier. In my case, it took a further 2 visits to get all issues with the repair resolved.

These tablets are quite difficult to reassemble correctly; in my case, the first repairer had routed cables incorrectly, causing a bulge in the deck and keyboard. This caused the trackpad to rub the back of the display, damaging its finish quite rapidly. There are also issues with the clips that hold the top deck down - if after repair, the deck is anything but completely flat, do not accept it.

My replacement display seems brighter than the original, and somewhat more blue, too.

I think the quality of the build lets this series down, with poor detailing around many of the joints, display etc, and clearly raises issues for repairs, too.

6. rjh

rjh Pen Pal - Newbie

*bump* (added some possibly useful information to previous post)

7. mazzarin

mazzarin Pen Pal - Newbie

Great post, thanks for the details. I'm going to call HP to get my latch fixed as well... good to know what I could be in for (2740p)

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for all the useful insight.

Question: does your screen now latch so tightly to the keyboard that there is no play in it whatsoever if you push down on the right or left? Mine has always latched just fine (only now as I examine it, do I see that the tiny latch pops up - magnetically? - as the lid is nearly closed), and in over a month it hasn't worsened at all, but there is always play on the sides. As I look at it now, the back hinge that swivels raises the screen in the back, so the only way it could hold down more tightly would be if you could make an adjustment in the screen hinge to lower it in back. I notice too that there is just as much side to side play when the notebook is closed with the screen facing up or as a conventional laptop, with the screen facing down. Funny though, I don't notice it when I'm using it in tablet mode - never find I'm pressing so hard with my hand or arm on one side that the screen moves. I'm just wondering if, once it is worked on to make it absolutely as good as it can be, if it locks down tightly so that it feels like one solid piece, such as how the slice battery feels.

My only build complaint - and it may be more design, again depending on whether this can be adjusted in part - pertains not to the latch in front but to the hinge in back. First, I find it very annoying that it doesn't swivel both ways. I can't imagine a justification - cost, durability, etc - that could be reasonable when every other modern convertible "swings both ways" :eek: . My criticism of that hinge continues with my comments above: it elevates the screen in back to that, folded all the way down, it leaves a significant gap between the screen and the keyboard. Finally, I am finding that swivel hinge has a bit of play developing in it, such as when it is in laptop mode and you gently twist it without turning it, there is some play in both directions. I'm hoping there is an adjustment somewhere on the hinge; rjh: did any of the repair work adjust the back hinge to make it generally tighter and also lower it slightly in back so that it allows the screen to form a tighter seal on the sides?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.