2710p pen too sensitive for me

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by leslie1, Jan 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KevinS

KevinS Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi, I just got my 2710p, never had a tablet before. I find this pen way to sensitive. It picks up the pen at least a full 1/2 inch from the screen. It makes clicking and handritting near impossible, to write a word, I have to write a letter, and lift the pen straight up way off the screen, and then carefully go straight back down to start the next letter, its hard to do actually. Double clicking is almost impossible, you have to go way up and down and hit the same spot twice, my co-workers agree that there is no way this is right. I can't find a way to adjust it, is there a way? Or is it suppose to be like this? (if it is, I think I will send it back because its unusable IMHO) (2710p running windows XP)

Thanks
    Kevin

2. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Did you have another pen you can try using? It sounds like the pen tip is stuck "down" so it constantly thinks it is being pushed. If you don't have another pen maybe you can try pulling the nib (tip) out and re-inserting it?

If you do try another pen, and that one also fails, then it could maybe be a software problem, but I don't know about that.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's possible that your pen is damaged, because this is not normal ;)

Normal would be: If you hover your pen about 1/2 inch above the screen you only move the cursor, then you have to press down on the screen with the nob and this "starts" a click and you can ink. If you remove the pen from the screen, it stops clicking and you only move the cursor until you lift up the pen above the 1/2 inch.

If you turn your pen around and use the eraser on the back you should see that it behaves as described above, i hope. If not, something else is defect. Maybe a driver problem or the digitizer.

If your eraser works you could remove the nib from the pen with the included tool. If it still clicks, even without the nib, but the eraser works, then your pen is damaged. If it still clicks and your eraser doesn't work normal, too, then your driver or digitzer is corrupt.

But it should only perform a click if you "touch" then screen with the pen nib.

4. KevinS

KevinS Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks guys, thats what it is. i didn't realize the pointed end is suppose to move in and out and cause a 'click'. My tip doesn't move, it slides in the whole way and bottoms out, there is no movement of the tip, must be a broken spring or something. I will contact HP.

5. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Just so you know, the tip doesn't move all that much (hardly perceptable at all) when it is being depressed. It definitely doesn't feel "springy". I don't know exactly how it measures the pressure but it is very firm feeling. It also doesn't make any sort of noticeable "click" noise.

6. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

might be just misconfiguration? Have a look at your pen options (system). Did you switch "hover mode" on? Pen left click on?

7. KevinS

KevinS Pen Pal - Newbie

That was it, the pen. I got it working, pulled out the tip and played around with the mechanism with a paper clip. Then it worked. but if I push too hard, it stops working again, until I get the paper clip going :) I got HP to send me a new pen. That should fix it up.

Thanks
    Kevin.

8. leslie1

leslie1 Pen Pal - Newbie

mine is working great, it came with vista bus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.