2710p impressions

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by radioactif, Sep 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tabrev

tabrev Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok...so its been around 2 weeks of me using hp's new generation laptop. My impressions can be summarized in two words: utter disappointment.

This laptop, though has no major issues with it, didn't appeal to me very much. First, the screen in tablet mode with a wacom digitizer pen had no resistance at all. none what so ever! It was like writing on an oily screen. Even thinkpad x60t had much better resistance than compared to this. Furthermore, it wasn't very responsive until I downloaded and installed wacom's driver on wacom.com.

This tablet is built for mobility, mobile professionals. This doesn't mean people who like to work slow. The boot up time for this computer was anywhere from 3 minutes to 7 minutes. Disabling windows sidebar with its gadgets did help a little. I define bootup time as from pushing the power button till the moment where I can click on "start" without any delays. They have used very very slow processor. Just installing microsoft office 2007 enterprise edition which I got from my university took around half an hour. I also used it for an online tutoring program, which uses whiteboard, and instant messaging system. occasionally, the software was an overload for the computer.

Furthermore, thinkpad's touchstick can be programmed to be touch sensitive. By this, I mean that you can use just the touch stick to click. Thats not the case in HP, and I confirmed this with their tech support. The click buttons aren't very comfy either, or very responsive. Quite a few times, I had to push twice.

Sound quality/speaker is abysmal, compared to thinkpad or fujitsu or gateway. I had to sometimes bow down to the notebook to listen to some music turned up all the way.

Another big issue is with the "ambient light sensor" which works perfectly fine if you are plugged in with the charger. Once you take it off, then your heart will skip its beat. The screen went black, making me think if i accidentally turned off the computer. i didn't. it was a problem with ambient light sensor. HP tech support made me do a static discharge, but it didn't solve my problem. So if you are in poor light condition, you might have to disable your "ambient light sensor" thus making it useless. Also, the screen lighting wasn't very good either. It kept dimming and lighting up.

Webcam also had some issues with it. I have already posted another thread for that. Nothing solved my problem. I couldn't take pictures, even with 3rd party software or with HP quickplay.

Enough of bad...now some good stuff :)
    I loved the design. Its silver/aluminum cage was really impressive. It also had sturdy feeling in the tablet mode, though in notbook, the screen wobbled a little. The touch controls for volume was pretty cool also. The led lighting was also awesome. Fingerprint reader worked perfectly also.
    The battery was also really good. When HP said "fast charge", they really meant it. It charged quickly, and lasted longer than anyother tablet I have tried, though none of them had this poor slow dimwitted performing processor.
    Another cool feature was the night light. i simply loved it.

Solving the problem: I talked with HP tech support, who were friendly, but quite frankly, illeterate about this new notebook line. At almost each question, they had to put me on hold for 3-5 minutes and check with their supervisor. I wondered if they sent me a lemon, and asked them about it. They told me to run system recovery, which I did. But it was no good. Even then, they said this is not a lemon. I agreed. But I was disgusted at this laptop, at which i had spent around 2200 bucks. I called them, and told them that this DOA unit is to be returned. After spending hours on phone, they agreed, and I shipped it back to them on thursday.

Specs:
    1.2 ghz, 100 gb hdd, 2gb ram, vista business, integrated webcam, docking station ($ 299 separately), 3yr ADP pickup and return service.

2. IsLNdbOi

IsLNdbOi Scribbler - Standard Member

The hard drive is a slow 4200rpm drive. Replace it with a 5400rpm 1.8" drive or an SSD and you should see a performance increase.

Get a pack of those 3M screen protectors Fujitsu sells for their T4220 / T4215 to fix the oily screen feeling.

HP does state that it has a mono speaker so no surprise there.

3. sumitagarwal

sumitagarwal Pen Pal - Newbie

Get Wacom's felt nibs for the pen. It will help a lot with the resistance.

4. Pyxus

Pyxus Pen Pal - Newbie

The trackstick is definitely touch sensitive... look in its properties.

5. KensingtonPark

KensingtonPark Pen Pal - Newbie

Pyxus is right. The feature is called "Press and select". It's under Control Panel, mouse, settings.

6. Janson

Janson Pen Pal - Newbie

I like my 2710p...the HD is a killer though...could one of you direct me to a site that would sell a good SSD for it?

7. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

8. MT77

MT77 Pen Pal - Newbie

9. Rudegar

Rudegar Scribbler - Standard Member

could it not give problems that the samsung is 1.8"
    where the hd in the hp is 2.5" ?

10. radioactif

radioactif Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'd just like to know what type of HDD is in the 2710p. I know it's a 1,8" PATA, but what type of connector ? Could you please give the exact reference number you find in the device manager ? Thanks a lot, I may get one in the next days :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.