22inch LCD Monitor market, latest recommendations 2017?

Discussion in 'Artists' started by doobiedoobiedum, Sep 23, 2017.

1. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi, been away for a while but hoping to start posting regularly again.

I'm looking to get a new graphic screen and not prepared to pay the premium for a Cintiq. Does anyone have any recommendations for the wheat amongst the chaff? There are so many new manufacturers that it's easy to buy the wrong thing.

Ugee? Yiynova? Huion? etc etc - I also see 2000 levels vs 8000 levels and am not convinced by that hype - however if people really feel they can use 8000+ levels I'm all ears.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Welcome back, Doobie!

I've not really looked at desktop models lately either; I've been focused on getting a portable studio working right and ought to be receiving one in the post sometime soon.

I don't know if you've looked at the new Dell Canvas. -Bigger than 22", and far costlier than Chinese cheap-ware, but so far nobody from the forum has brought one home, (to my knowledge).

What portable are you using these days?

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

Thanks Mark, my absence is because we got flooded by a storm in 2015 and I've been rebuilding my home and holding the job down since. So little time for my own stuff in the meantime.

I'm going to have to go cheap ware because I can't justify the cost of a Cintiq or Dell Canvas. I've budgeted around £1200 for a cheap monitor and desktop from the profit of a sale due before Xmas and the rest will pay for a holiday for my long suffering partner and our family. I'm figuring 22inch as there's so little price difference with the smaller 16 or 19 inches. (I could be wrong - resolution might be better on the smaller screens?)

My portable is my old HP2760p - the only device that survived the flood. (We weren't insured at the time) and it's showing its age. The screen has never been as good as the even older Fujitsu t4215 I had. I'd like to replace the HP sometime but I have to make a few more big sales to do that.

Software wise - I still have my suite of Adobe CS5.5 (thank goodness for Adobe software downloads rather than hard media) and I use free or open source software like Tupi 2D animation / Inkscape and Blender for my paying projects.

4. thatcomicsguy

Damn!

I heard England got whammied by some weather, but I didn't know you were in one of the affected areas.

Well, I'm glad you didn't get washed away and have been getting up and moving again!

Hey, maybe you should get one of those old 21UX Cintiqs? -They're going for a real steal these days, and mine has got to be one of the most reliable bits of computer hardware I've ever owned. I'd trust it over a shiny bit of Chinese tech any day. I was going to either update it or my portable and I ended up going with the decision to retire the old Tecra. -Which turned out to be *perfect* timing; the Tecra just died three days ago! Graphics driver finally bit the dust.

If I'd gone with a Dell Canvas or something, I'd be all flashy in the studio, but out of luck in the backpack department. (I also recently donated my 2760p to a young art student. -Great, tough little machine! I'm not surprised yours survived a disaster! But that left me down to a sputtering Win Xp Toshiba M200 which is pretty much falling apart. I could probably cobble together something from parts and keep on limping along, but I figure I've done my duty by way of respecting old hardware value. Time for something new.)

Otherwise.., I hear pretty good things about some of the new batteryless pen screens coming out. There's an "X-Pen" system (I think that's what they're calling them), which is getting goodish reviews for a very reasonable price.

5. doobiedoobiedum

Yeah, whole ground floor wiped out - 3 tablets and my previous desktop & monitor combo plus all my sculpting tools covered in thick disgusting mud.

When I look at it in perspective though, the poor folks in the Caribbean had whole islands wiped flat and in parts of the US, whole houses destroyed so I'm thankful the top floor survived.

Had a look at older Cintiqs but the prices on Ebay are still ridiculous here. My whole budget would still be gone on the monitor alone so I think I have to go Chinese.

Can't believe your old Tecra finally died? That must be frustrating, I remember you had built a permanent desk to fix it onto for drawing. A bit of forum history has gone forever. :(

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry to hear about your misfortune, it must be quite a job drying out the place and patching everything back up after that, especially when you have to fund everything yourself. I'm lucky enough to live a top of a big hill so flooding isn't likely here fortunately.

Is a large format an absolute requirement and do you need full desktop performance? I only ask because there are some great 2in1's around at the moment and a couple pending, that are very well equipped, with reasonable screen sizes @ 12, 15 and 17 inches. And the pen accuracy on the most recent EMR equipped devices is nothing short of amazing. Unfortunately the one that meets your budget with EMR isn't available here in the UK. If it's of any interest to you I have a Companion 1 that I will probably be selling in a month or two, maybe sooner if you're desperate. It's had some non-Wacom remedial work done to fix the power connector issue, and has been working fine for a few weeks since that. It has a bit of an issue in the bottom right of the screen where there is a ghostly shadow type mark. The mark doesn't seem to be an issue once the led's are powered up, and being right handed it's hasn't been an issue for me with respect to drawing etc. I will probably let it go for about £450 or so taking the screens condition into account. I have the box and all the original contents, and it's been well looked after. Some of the grey finish has worn of the pen body from normal use. It has an i7, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and Windows 10 installed. If it is of interest let me know and you can have first dibs when it's ready to go. You would really need to collect it so you can see the mark on the screen and decide if it's acceptable to you or not? I'm North Kent, Surrey border based, but could probably meet on the road if that would help? It might do to tide you over while you track down something in a larger format? Just a thought.

And to anyone else reading, please don't PM me inquiring about the machine, because it's not an open offer to everyone and I'm in no hurry to move it on! Thanks in advance for your understanding.

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. doobiedoobiedum

Hi Shizaru

Thank you for the very kind offer, my BIG priority at the moment is a much more powerful desktop: I really do need a more powerful desktop as my old desktop machine struggled when I had to work on large vectors / video rotoscoping or animation stuff.
    I'm staying extra time at work to use the Mac desktops for rotoscope and vector work but I want to be able to do this work at home. That's what pays for me.

I've lived with 10-12 inch screens of varying accuracy and I don't like them - Mid term I will upgrade my portable studio - my old HP 2760 has served me reasonably well for some general drawing but I tend to find 12-13 inches quite restricting - I did car design and like to use broad sweeping drawing gestures.

I guess I need some kind of compromise machine(s) that will do the grunt work I need and allow me more screen real estate. I wasn't convinced regarding the Companions when they came out - how have you found them to use?

8. Shizaru

Shizaru Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks for clearing that up I wasn't sure how concrete your requirements are. The Companion 1 certainly wouldn't be a good match given your use case imho.

My feelings with respect to the Companion 1 are mixed...I like the drawing experience and the express keys. I don't tax it at my level of artistic abilities so I can't say for sure how good it is from a professionals perspective? The machine is capable enough for what I require of it which is a mix of artwork mostly in Krita and Gimp and general day to day usage which includes some web development, very limited video editing etc. as well as the more mundane day to day stuff.

My big gripe with the Companion 1 is related to the reliability i.e. the Manufacturing defect with the power connection on a £1700 professional device. The poor customer service compounds the issue and makes for a very poor experience, so much so it's highly unlikely I will buy another Wacom machine - accessories maybe but spending thousands on a device is off the table for me.

The good news is I think I have fixed the Companion 1 myself and it has been working fine since taking the time to fix it. While I had it in pieces I went in search of a replacement, and I finally settled on the Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 15" model. I have been blown away by it so far. The drawing experience is really good, the screen size for me is ideal and it really nicely built. I had to import it from the US so it has been a bit of a saga, but totally worth the effort and it's relatively in expensive considering what you get. My biggest gripe with the N9P is that Samsung have screwed with the pen integration, but there are work rounds it's still annoying that they have done that though.

I think you have hit an interesting time to be looking for a new powerful desktop with the new AMD's causing a stir. There are so many options right now for building a high performance desktops tailored very tightly to match the workloads required of the machine. I'm waiting for things to settle down before I commit to a build which maybe a Ryzen 7 or a Threadripper? The version 2 boards should iron out a few kinks and more cooling options should appear plus pricing should become a little more favorable.

You will have plenty of interesting choices when it comes to finding a replacement for your portable device as well...there really has been a major leap forward in pen enabled devices. The large format Cintiq market is also blossoming with worth while alternatives to Wacom.

The future seems bright, good luck on your mission.

9. doobiedoobiedum

I have been completely out of things - first I've heard of the Samsung is your post. I also feel your pain looking at what is available in America and not available in the UK.

I have however followed news about the Ryzen processors and things look exciting there - which is why I am also looking at a screen that can do justice but it seems Wacom tech (pricey though it is) still stands out. Trouble is (for me) I can't justify even second and Wacom tech right now which is why I've looked at Chinese screens.
    I am going to have to leap - I can't wait for whatever is around the corner. I'll do some research on what is available and maybe do an update / post some artwork when I've got my kit.

Shizaru likes this.
  10. thatcomicsguy

Yeah, the new Samsung 15" Notebook 9 Pro is shaping up to be a very nice bit of hardware. I'm still a bit nervous. It's only been a couple of months since its release, and there's always the possibility of early hardware problems cropping up, but at the moment it's impressing the heck out of me!

Though sadly, yes, the whole issue of getting one out of the U.S. adds an extra dimension to the process. I had to put a call out to the fine folks who read my work, and one of them in the U.S. did me the sterling favor of playing middle man to ship a unit across the border. -Easy enough in principle, but the added steps pushed the final cost up by a few hundred bucks.

At first blush, I think it was worth it. I've not invested in such a new and solid piece of kit in a very long time. I've been working on cheapie half-baked products and duct tape solutions for years! I picked up a mass of valuable knowledge I would have missed otherwise, had a lot of fun with it, but it was time.

doobiedoobiedum and Shizaru like this.