2021 Kindle Paperwhite

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by dellaster, Sep 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Thanks actually quite helpful. I use the night adjustment on my iPad and my Kindle doesn't have that feature, so it's another good reason to update. I now have one on hold for pickup at BB on release day.:D

Thanks again :)

Bishop likes this.
  2. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Comrade! Sort of...

Born a lefty, I was a compliant child and did things right handed because that was the assumption. Everything taught to me I do as a righty (writing, throwing a ball, etc ). Anything I learned on my own I do as a lefty (e.g. playing pool/billiards). It wasn't till I was in Army basic training that I found out why I was awful at many things: my drill sergeant recognized the signs.

JoeS, Bishop and desertlap like this.
  3. desertlap

That's really interesting. My father is left handed and has said similar.

I'm generally a right hander, but playing both little league up through high school baseball, I both batted and threw left handed.

And now that think about it, I hold my phone in my right and use my left for all the gesture, swping ect.

You know, what" TLDR I'm just odd I guess :)

dellaster likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

My grandmother was left handed. She wouldn't let them force me to switch to right handed penmanship. Neither of my parents were lefties. Of her 14 grandkids, only one other was a lefty.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    dellaster likes this.
  5. Bishop

I threw and batted left handed (finding a right handed glove wasn't easy or cheap back in the day). The guy who taught me to play golf only had right handed clubs - and a blade putter just like putt putt. I did learn to drive right handed. Really screws with new guys when I switch sides to putt. :cool:

dellaster and desertlap like this.
  6. desertlap

Well, I will have the "signature edition" in hand sometime tomorrow as my nearest best buy will be getting a shipment apparently.

I'll post impressions when I do.

dellaster and Bishop like this.
  7. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Seems a lot of us are lefties on here (count me in too)...something about us being natural-born misfits in our world of misfit devices? :p

Ah, what ever would we do without TPCR?

dellaster and JoeS like this.
  8. Bishop

[​IMG]

9. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

My regular version w/ads is due tomorrow, but the mail place where I have things sent while in this area doesn't open Wednesdays. So I'll look forward to your impressions.

10. desertlap

So I have it in hand along with the red leather cover.

It's slightly taller and wider than my previous paperwhite, but only noticeable when viewed side by side, but not really perceived in hand.

OTOH the display seems significantly bigger than the .8 inches would imply. I'm certain that's due to the significantly smaller bezels (though they are still large compared to something like an iPad Mini.

Besides the size difference, the contrast is also quite a bit improved. I'm certain that's due both to this being a newer generation carta display, but also what many don't realize is that e-ink displays tend to lose contrast over time and as much as I used my previous kindle, that's likely the bigger factor.

It's nice to have USBC instead of Micro USB for charging. My old Kindle was the last device I have that uses that connector.

Page turns are a quite a bit faster and so far I haven't seen any ghosting, unlike my old one which would get them about every 5-8 page turns.

One significant note, out of the box, it comes with apparently a fairly buggy load of the OS including the keyboard not appearing, issues connecting to WIFI and overall stutters in use.

Fortunately after installing the system update, all those went away and overall it feels a bit faster than my older Kindle.

I'm not sure what to think of the warming light option yet. You can vary it from standard white to what seems to me to be ridiculously orange looking. You can control it manually, or have it gradually shift on schedule.

That being said, I already think I'm going to be happy with it. I don't buy in to the IMHO unsupported idea that e-ink is easier on your eyes compared to a LCD like in a tablet. I do OTOH believe in a preference towards if for extended book reading (myself included).

Not to mention that a dedicated e-reader just feels less distracting than a phone or tablet and thus feels more immersive as a reading experience.

My two cents anyway :)

BTW: This is getting repetitive I know, but from what we've been hearing if you want one of these for Christmas for yourself or to give, buy it now as they are likely to get very scarce the closer we get to Christmas.

PS: The new case is an exceptionally tight fit on the new Kindle, so much so that for a moment I thought I might have had the wrong case until I fully inserted it with a bit more force than felt comfortable.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    dellaster, Bishop and JoeS like this.