2021 Kindle Paperwhite

Discussion in 'eReaders' started by dellaster, Sep 21, 2021.

Tags:
  1. dellaster

dellaster Creatively Talentless Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    WillAdams likes this.
  2. dellaster

Instant preorder for me. Just the $140 base model since 8GB is plenty and the signature edition's auto–adjusting front light is likely to be annoying, as such features often are.

I was hoping for the new touchscreen technology for better contrast, whiter background, but it seems not to be. They would shout it out if they improved the paper-whiteness, wouldn't they? Oh well, the larger screen and warm lighting sells it to me all by themselves.

desertlap likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Me as well, it also allegedly has the very newest e-ink tech which significantly reduces ghosting and speeds up refresh rates. Still not video capable......

FWIW much as i use my iPad and now my fold for general e-reading, when I wnat to focus specifically on the reading experience, I still grab my paperwhite.

dellaster likes this.
  4. dellaster

That's one of the reasons why I could give up the iPad mini 5. My S21U is fine for most of the things I used the mini for (surprisingly so) and for lengthy reading, novels etc., I went to my Paperwhite. A better Paperwhite is a no-brainer for my device ecology.

5. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just curious, do you use Kindle purchases for most of your library, or sideload your own collection (converted to mobi/azw format)? Is there local network access to load files from SMB shares?

How is the viewing experience for graphics, especially comics from Kindle/Comixology and the guided reading mode? Is the 'warm' backlighting even and natural, or are there shortcomings that you're looking to the new model to address?

Any other major caveats compared to generic Android-based eReaders?

6. dellaster

I have very few non-Kindle ebooks. I went all-in with Amazon after all the indie ebook shops (and Microsoft's first* ebook shop) went under (around 2007 was it?) taking most of my ebooks with them.

I was going to write of the various ways to read on a Kindle, but Nate did it already, better:

https://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2017/02/15/6-different-ways-to-load-ebooks-on-your-kindle/

It's grayscale @300 ppi and page turns/refresh are e-ink speed, meaning slow, so YMMV depending on content. As @desertlap mentions, this new one should be a bit faster.

Comic books? No color so I wouldn't think it suitable. If we're talking manga it might be fine since they're typically B&W for the most part. Ditto light novels.

The advantages, of course, are long battery life and a reading experience comparable to paper and ink. No headaches and tired eyes after extended reading—which can be all day and evening for me when I find a good book. This new one has adjustable warm lighting to address the blue light problem.

*Microsoft's 2nd foray into ebook selling, in Edge, also disappeared.

WillAdams and Marty like this.
  7. desertlap

Eltos likes this.
  8. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

I have an Oasis (got it on some sale/promotion last year sitting at home during COVID lockdown). While I wasn't crazy about the almost square form factor, I have become fond of the rotational capability. I can turn it around and switch hands very easily - which makes the "grip bulge" quite convenient and comfortable.

No new paperwhite for me.

9. desertlap

@Bishop You bring up something I was wondering about with the Oasis. I have the older paperwhite and the bigger display and somewhat unique from factor was one of my open questions.

I use my current Kindle in one hand with my other hand only for page turns(taps). I haven't actually used an Oasis for any extended period (just playing with them in Best Buy) and my impression was that the page turn buttons while convenient pushed it over the edge for extended one hand use.

But I hadn't considered that you could rotate it either, in my case with the page turn buttons on the left edge when I'm holding it.

Any thoughts on all this?

PS: I did notice that besides size, the display on the Oasis was superior generally to the Paperwhite, but it looks like the new one has at a minimum caught up.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  10. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

@desertlap: I'm naturally left-handed but have adapted to being almost ambidextrous. That makes the rotation especially convenient. I really only use the page buttons intermittently. Tap and swipe work just as well to turn pages. With the "grip bulge" stabilizing the device in my hand, it's easy to just use the thumb of the same hand to hit the button, tap or swipe in either hand.

I had a refurbed paperwhite; but after the last "bump" in my vision prescription, I was keeping the font so large it almost felt like reading an index card rather than a book page. So my main driver for the Oasis was getting the larger screen. The extra configuration options, brighter lighting and grip features were gravy.

BTW: If your current Kindle doesn't have the option to invert the screen (white text on black background), you should seriously upgrade to a newer device. It's great for reading at night without the glow (ahem, iPad) bothering spouses. Being able to tune the "warmth" of the lighting is also helpful, especially for night reading.

Not sure I answered your question.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    dellaster and desertlap like this.