2019, the worst year for new personal tech since... 2018

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Feb 27, 2019.

1. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Well, let me put it this way... I was a long-time Windows Phone owner. Nobody forced me to own them, but it sure did feel like punishment sometimes.

2. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just to touch upon something of interest to both you and I, which is the subject of the slate PC (the true tablets of tablets for us old-timers ;)).

Have you noticed the sudden rise-and-fall of the detachable form factor?

After the SP3/4 gained popularity, many OEMs tried their hands at creating productivity slates: Lenovo, VAIO, Asus, and finally HP with the ZBook X2...and everyone of those product lines seems to have met an early demise.

In the recent years, OEMs appear to have reverted 2-in-1s back to the laptop form-factor (ie. "yoga"-style or no convertible at all, but supporting pen on screen like the Zenbook Duo). This bodes ill for two reasons: 1) the form factors are usually 16:9 and awkward for tablet use, and 2) more importantly, it relegates touch—and especially pen—to afterthoughts in terms of human UX.

Do a little doodle here, sign a document there...look you can scroll with the pen too! :p

I can't help but feel this is infantile view of tablet PC productivity that has set in and been validated by MS' direction with Windows, thus ending hardware interest in the slate form-factor.

(And after so much potential was ignited by the Surface Pro, Book, and Studio years ago...tears...)

3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

iPad is still a "slate.":p

4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Bootcamp for iPadOS, aka iWin...

Yes ladies and gentlemen - why not? With iPadOS on ARM and Windows on ARM, why wouldn't Apple consider a Bootcamp solution to let tablet users have those Windows applications they can't do without, but back to iPadOS with a restart...

and I claim the name iWin - just imagine the "cat ate the canary" look on Timmy's face when he announces that one...

Seriously, it would be a multi-level Win for Apple selling even more tablets to folks like Jeff!

Oops, well maybe not on the iWin nae - gaming site

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Attached Files:

6. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm hoping MS can turn this lackluster tech year around.

The Surface Book 3 should appear somewhere around October 2019 right? Curious what they do with that one. Did we ever start a wish list / hopes and dreams for that one? I guess not, so here it is. TB3 and eGPU would be a major draw for me.

We are also still waiting for that heavily redesigned Surface Pro, not even sure what to wish for there. TB3 and eGPU as well I guess!

The Surface Laptop could really use a yoga hinge, to make pen support not ridiculous.

But first up: the Surface Go 2 with smaller bezels and Qualcomm 8cx (yes?). That one might be as little as two months away! Any other major devices in the pipeline from MS or other manufacturers?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    lovelaptops and Bronsky like this.