2019, the worst year for new personal tech since... 2018

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by lovelaptops, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

For the record, I shall be holding onto my OLED+EMR dreams of an Samsung Galaxy Book Pro until the zombie pack comes to eat me.

—or Apple releases an bezel-less OLED IPP. :D
    (Even a tablet PC survivalist has limits.)

lovelaptops, dstrauss and dellaster like this.
  2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So, here's the part I'm not entirely getting. The only recent event (not counting today's WWDC; I haven't read about it yet) that you could remotely call a game-changer in the Apple-vs-Microsoft based platform "wars" is that, about 2 years ago, Apple finally decided Steve Jobs' grave could handle the trampling-upon that an iPad stylus would represent. That was a game-changer more for the devotees of this forum than most other tech-consuming populations. More recently, the price point at which one could play was lowered, first last year with the 2018 iPad/Pencil v.1 support, then the game upped with the same support but on the greatly improved IPM.

As far as I can tell, the advent of the Apple stylus - excellent electronically, but crude and uncomfortable ergonomically - first on expensive iPPs, then on popularly priced tablets, has entirely, 100% changed the calculus for the non-artist devotees of the "tablet PC" device-loving crowd, as represented by TPCR, and it has caused the vocal among you to declare Apple the only game in town and Windows the pronounced loser in all respects, even though the Wacom EMR stylus - in its many, many permutations because Wacom licensed it to one and all - arguably is still a more comfortable and versatile solution for non-artists (ie, note-takers and PDF mark-up-ers), nonetheless the jury is in and we should forget about any devices coming down the pike from Microsoft, Samsung, Lenovo, etc in the "tablet pc" genre, because, surprise-surprise, Apple better integrates hardware and software and thus there are no benefits whatsoever to the variety of hardware solutions, massive amount of legacy apps, and questionable benefits of IOS apps for serious knowledge-based professionals.

Do I have it right? If so, then yes, @Marty, let's do rename the forum. Personally, I'm more excited about future iterations of, say, the WOA Surface Go, the follow-ons to the Samsung Book 12 and 10, the Samsung Book 2 next iteration, even what the likes of Lenovo, HP and Dell may be cooking up on the business class side of their houses. Perhaps the new forum could have a section entitled: "Non-Apple Hardware" so some of these devices may get honorable mention, kind of the way there's long been a thread for Apple tablets in TPCR.

Wow, there was a revolution 2 years ago, and I completely missed it. If Apple had only realized sooner that all it needed to do was to license Wacom EMR or - as it apparently found more appealing - re-invent AES - and it could instantly kill off the Microsoft Surface product line and those of all the OEMs that followed the trail that the Surface line was created to blaze. Microsoft is now just a cloud vendor, laptops
    Excellent analysis, @dellaster . Actually, I think in part I am reacting to the fanboy conversion of less than a handful of formerly sober (or so I thought) members :D

Steve S likes this.
  3. dellaster

dellaster Technomad Senior Member

I thought that might be the case. You can delete me from that sober, non-fanboy list if I was on it. My only computers from 1984 to 1998 were Macs. I built my own Windows boxes from when Jobs returned to Apple (never a fan of his) until a decade later when I returned to Apple for a few years due to frustration with Windows 7, then jumped to Windows again with the advent of Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, and all that dreaming of One Windows across phone, tablet, laptop, desktop... everything working together smoothly. So it's pretty much inevitable that I would return to my roots once I lost hope in that dream.

4. Marty

Guys, it's like the 4th or 5th time my "AppleTabletReview.com" quip has been quoted. Go back to my post, I said that in jest! So that it wouldn't become a meme!

Thanks a lot guys. :D

@lovelaptops after some reflection over the day, the best answer I can give is simply compare the OS progression in tablet UX:

On Windows, how many attempts have there been? Windows RT, Windows 8, then 8.1, then 10, and now WOA/Win10S. Now—after all that iteration—swipe-in from the right and click on "Tablet Mode" in the Action Center.

Now you tell me how much the tablet experience has improved. :p
    (That's 5 @^&%* iterations!)

dellaster and Steve S like this.
  5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

@Marty has a point, I think, and I feel much the same way. The best that I can tell, Microsoft is focusing on a keyboard-and-mouse OS experience, with just a few hooks thrown in to mollify their tablet base. Instead of enhancing the pen with new capabilities, the Windows Team thinks it should mostly be another finger. Apps intended to heavily leverage the pen have been more or less static for a long time; the "Ten Best" pen apps are the same today as they were a year or two ago. While Apple is actively working pen refinement, Microsoft seems to just be going through the motions.

If this seems pessimistic, consider Microsoft's latest attempt at internal realignment, per ZDNet:

"I've heard the "all-hands" meeting where Microsoft execs showed off the Centaurus prototypes coincided with yet another Windows-related reorg, announced internally on May 31. Microsoft often reorders the corporate org chart ahead of the start of its new fiscal year (July 1).

I've heard from a couple of contacts that Microsoft is continuing to try to figure out which teams in the Windows organization should stay part of the Azure engineering org's COSINE (Core OS and Intelligent Edge) unit. Sources say Microsoft moved the Inking, Accessibility services and more AI services under Corporate Vice President of Essential Product Group Joe Belfiore's team, which is part of the larger Microsoft Experiences & Devices organization.

In early May, Microsoft moved the OneNote, Sticky Notes and To-Do teams under its Mobile and Cross Platform Experiences group, which is also part of Belfiore's organization."
    Now, recognizing that names can be misleading, it nonetheless appears that Microsoft considers inking to be an activity that is only peripheral to the OS, not a part of it. Assuming that is correct, it will never be more than an add-on, and I don't think that bodes well for the tablet platform. Say what you will about Apple, but at least they seem to be sincerely embracing the pen and weaving its functionality into their tablets...

dellaster likes this.
  6. Marty

You mean going through no motions. :p

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Microsoft is focusing on a keyboard-and-mouse OS experience, with just a few hooks thrown in to mollify their tablet base...>>

...And another thing! It occurred to me to visit the Microsoft Garage because the various projects there likely provide an indication of what Microsoft internally considers interesting and worthy of study.

The stats aren't encouraging: Out of 35 active projects, only three appear to feature any kind of pen employment (Plumbego, Sketch 360, Ink to Code; note that Sketch 360 looks very interesting. I've used Plumbego for months, and I like it for what it is...). Out of 63 "completed" projects, only one appears to be vaguely related to inking, and maybe not even that one (Sight Sign).

So only 3%-4% of Microsoft's public research seems to be devoted to inking. Maybe that says it all...

8. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Hey troops - didn't mean to ignite a platform holy war with my thoughts and comments. Remember the "P" in PC is "personal" and that's what our individual wants, needs, and desires dictate, and clearly there is no one size fits all. As so aptly pointed out by @Marty I have taken strident positions and pontificated about my "computer of the day." My waffling is notorious.

One thing I can declare rather factually is that I want my work and down time to co-exist as easily as possible. For now that means Office 365 & Adobe Acrobat Pro (or kin) needs to mix with News+ (I'm a Texture addict), iTunes music and movies, NetFlix, DirectTV online, Amazon (videos and books), photo management and editing, etc. Of course, I want ALL of this in one device - NEVER going to happen. The first half of the equation is ALWAYS best on a Windows device; the second half on an iPad; and never the twain shall meet.

The two camps come from exact opposite directions (Microsoft desktop down; Apple tablet up). The tablet uber alles that I want so desperately does not exist, and absent a major surge in desktop capabilities on the iPad Pro never will. To answer @lovelaptops, it is not my relinquishing of sobriety as much as it is an acknowledgement that Apple makes the best consumption platform on the planet, and is now dipping its toe (actually whole foot) into the productivity pool. Just tell me you don't think when you look at an iPad Pro - if only it could run Windows and iPadOS. So realizing that my trusty GB12 can STILL muster more than enough power to run multiple instances of Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat DC, OneNote, and Outlook, it is being relegated to heavy lifting with multiple screens on my desktop and remote sessions where I am trying to slay a work dragon; while I keep plugging along with the iPP11 as Apple sorts out just how far they are going to let iPadOS be the gateway to ARM on Macs (I see the iPP11 & 12.9 as direct replacements now for the anemic MacBook 12).

So, do we need to change the forum name - of course not as long as we can all agree "PC" does not mean ONLY Windows tablets, but Android and iOS as well - BECAUSE - Microsoft clearly sees it that way in their software development - just look at the ONLY app for productivity in the WWDC keynote:

[​IMG]

dellaster likes this.
  9. AveSharia

AveSharia Scribbler - Standard Member

Wow, those colors took me right back to the BBS days. :)

I guess you can count me among the converted fanboys. I had a love/hate relationship with my (EMR) Helix 2, but I spent almost as much time calibrating the damned thing and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers as I did drawing.

I know there was like a decade in between their release dates, but the IPP just draws where I put the damned pen. And it starts up in like 20 seconds. And OneNote somehow functions better in large notebooks than on my desktop. So I guess, after a decade of trying so hard to be an MS fanboy... I fell into Apple's lap. Sorry MS, but... not sorry.

efjay, dellaster and dstrauss like this.
  10. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

"Fell" or were "pushed" (by Microsoft)?