2019 Tech Purchase Confessions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JoeS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

• Keyboard - the new 16" is better but still not near as good as my x360
    • MacOS -
      • to start, it seems like everything is "different" for difference sake - command vs ctrl; option vs alt; delete instead of backspace
      • harder to access a hierarchical file structure
      • harder to browse NAS devices (at least to me)
      • all windows share a single menu bar - not my cup of tea - especially with two external monitors
      • even with third party utilities, no real Windows snap ability - critical to my workflow
      • the trackpad is way too big - brush it constantly
    • No touch screen - this is critical, I use it for selecting targets, scrolling pages, and manipulating images
    • Corollary - the touch bar is a waste of time compared to a touch screen
    • Even with "good deals" it is WAY OVERPRICED for the hardware it delivers
    I think it just comes down to the fact there are too many ways it is "different" from my 40 years of experience with DOS and Windows - I know that is very "ambiguous" but it is more than just muscle memory and refusal to learn a new way of doing things. I now have everything the MacBook Pro could offer (save discrete GPU - which i can add via TB3) with better OLED screen, touch, pen, mSDX reader, USB A in addition to two USB C Thunderbolt ports, 2-in-1 design, tiny footprint, and all my familiarity with Windows, for $1000 less than the MBP 16 with 1tb drive.

I would love to have the MacBook Pro/iPad/iPhone environment integration, but the real problem there is my devotion ot iPhone, not that it couldn't be better if I had an Android device. Maybe that will change this fall with Duo, but I'm still on the skeptical side if for no other reason that MS just doesn't seem to have the same level of control even among its own devices. Now if they roll out an SPX2 with real Intel innards, and a DUO that makes me forget about Windows on a Surface Phone...

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I would probably add Surface Book (ie. detachable keyboard base that extends the chipset) to list of major innovations in tablet form-factor. It coincidentally also came out in 2015. :p

If only they did not price it like it was made of moonrock, I would have probably sprung for the 15" already.

And for the love of...they need to add some ports to the tablet side! (At least one SD and USB-C port!)

Here's hoping for 2020 true fusion of SP and SB into the ultimate slate convertible. :cool: Cheers guys, Happy New Years!

3. dstrauss

I'll second that thought and sentiment -

HAPPY NEW YEARS TO THE TRIBE!

Lilawyn and JoeS like this.
  4. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Fun thread -

Tech Out:

• Surface Book 2
    • One Netbook Yoga Mix 2S
    • Samsung Galaxy S9+
    • Surface Go (Moving to my wife's private practice)

Tech In:

• Surface Go
    • One Netbook Yoga Mix 3
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    • Surface Pro X
    Keepers:

• Surface Pro X
    • Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
    • Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
    • One Netbook Yoga Mix 3 (possibly - still on the fence)

Future Purchases:

• Surface Neo
    • Surface Duo

5. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

Tech Out:
    • New Surface Pro (aka Surface Pro 5) - Sent to live with another loving family
    • VAIO Z Canvas - After four years of service, sent to live with an avid collector
    • Surface 3 - Family room floater sent to my tech closet, replaced by my Surface Go LTE
    • Asus RT-AC66U Router - Replaced by an ax-capable successor
    • Lumia 950 - Although I use a Galaxy Note 9 for day-to-day, I continued to use my Lumia 950 for a couple of games during 2019. But now it's time to retire the 950 to the tech closet
    Tech In:
    • Surface Pro 7 - The many individual improvements add up to a significant performance jump. Plus some Spectre / Meltdown mitigations.
    • Surface Pro X - Curious about why Microsoft thinks this is the future; I disagree, at least for now.
    • Surface Slim Pen - Someday, Microsoft has to fix the pen and screen digitizer. I thought this might be it, but...
    • iPad Pro 11 - Curious about iPadOS 13 and abetted by too many Best Buy bucks
    • Pencil 2 - Can't have the iPP without it, right...?!??
    • Asus RT-AX88U Router - 'Cause 802.11ax is now a thing, you know?
    Keepers:
    • HP ZBook X2 - Despite the recent problems, the X2 is working again. It has always been a pleasure to use and, of course, EMR...
    • Surface Pro 7
    • Surface Slim Pen - Incremental improvement is better than no improvement at all!
    • OmniCharge Ultimate Battery - Easily the most flexible power source I've ever used, and I've used most of them.
    Future Purchases:
    • Surface Neo - For sure
    • Surface Duo - Maybe
    • ZBook X2 Gen 5 - If, in fact, there is a refresh to Gen 5...

nyb72, Lilawyn, Marty and 2 others like this.
  6. dstrauss

I agree with your disagreement...

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I'm getting just a liiiitle bit jealous! :D Great collection :thumbsup:

Lilawyn likes this.
  8. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

Tech out
    - finally 950XL especially now that the WOA project appears to be dead
    - iPad mini 5 with pencil... Tap tap tapitty tap
    - MacBook pro 2019, I'm afraid I've spent far too much of my career in Windows to unlearn things

Tech in
    - Glocalme G4, a pocket Mifi that uses a global sim, and can also browse Google maps and translate on the screen. Can also double as an external battery. Used it in two countries and it is awesome.
    - Surface Pro 5 for work, see above

Keepers
    - GB12, still none better to me
    - Galaxy Note 8, headphone jacks please. Been using dex more and more.

Future purchases
    - LAMY Wacom EMR pen. Looks good in pics, not terribly expensive it seems
    - indiegogo Castaway Chrome OS phone case 2nd screen with EMR... cause why not

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Lilawyn, dstrauss, JoeS and 1 other person like this.
  9. dstrauss

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Good decisions all, but these three really caught my eye - and especially the third. If Samsung would only take the Galaxy Book 2 body (with kickstand) insert the GB12 innards with an Ice Lake i5, 16gb RAM, 1TB SSD, LTE, and a built in S-Pen, I would easily pay $3000 for this solution...

Lilawyn and DRTigerlilly like this.
  10. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

I saw a mention of this on reddit yesterday, and had to immediately pre-order one. It looks so beautiful. I used to collect luxury writing instruments, and I thought those years were behind me. Oh no, my two favorite interests are merging. :eek: