2019 Tech Purchase Confessions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JoeS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

You might want to look at the Boox Max 3 as well. I haven't used it, but it also sounds pretty great.

Lilawyn likes this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

LOL. That's cool! You should head to the reddit forum for the ReMarkable tablet. It's active and has lots of good input. The new update to 2.0 has been a big deal. Lots of simple, good UI improvements.

This device has been my favorite tech purchase from the last few years, and the only one that's stuck. It's not an iPad, and it's not a Kindle. That's for sure. It doesn't have a browser, it doesn't do email, it doesn't read kindle format ebooks. It just writes really well, has a cloud backup service, has a big enough screen, and is easy on the eyes. Above all, the textured screen and little graphite-style nibs have a lovely tactile feedback that, I guess, I required-- because it's the only writing device I've ever used beyond professional reasons-- for diaries and calendars and thinking and such.

It still has some basic functions that it needs (copy and paste, anyone!?! or merge down layers), but for what was a crowdfunded device, it's really very successful. It has allowed me to focus in a way tech has never been able to do for me before. When they make a "2", I'll be getting it.

Two simple things that helped me out? 1) make a template for a calendar just the way you want on one layer, and use it for calendaring on a nice digital sheet on another layer. And 2) export drawings as vectors with svg. Scaling is very good.

PM me if you have any questions. I hope you like it! And you get 30 days to try it out anyways! :)

Lilawyn, dstrauss and JoeS like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

HP Spectre x360 (early 2019 version) - returned - poor video performance (iTunes) and too chunky
    iPad Pro 11 512gb/LTE (used on eBay with AppleCare) - still have but not used a lot
    MacBook Pro 15 (used on eBay) - returned after a week of extreme frustration
    Lenovo c930 - returned for video performance issues (gotta run iTunes without hiccups)
    Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet - complete disaster - after three failed repairs Lenovo bought it back
    HP Spectre x360 (late 2019 version) - bought 11/09/19 and still running great - just don't like HP's pens

The Spectre x360 is a keeper - the first laptop I've tried over these last two years that will likely replace the venerable GB12. The performance is outstanding, including video performance thanks to Iris Plus Graphics. The screen is every bit as good as the GB12. Memory (16gb) and storage (iTB) are outstanding, supplemented by a 512gb mSDXC for backup purposes. No LTE, but after my latest data plan change, which includes a separate bucket of 15gb per month for tethering, it is a non-issue. Battery life is solid (7 hours for a 4k OLED is pretty good in my book) and the keyboard is second only to the ThinkPad in quality and performance. All in a package the size of the old Apple MacBook Air 11" - and weighing only 7 ounces more than the Surface Pro X. The only negative at this point is the HP pen - particularly its slipperier than iPad Pencil on glass feel. But I am experimenting with a Surface Pen nib in the HP Tilt Pen version, which gives a much needed grippier feel to the pen.

I will be keeping this powerful laptop for my real work, but I feel that job 1 for 2020 will be settling on a note taking device to supplement the x360. I will likely fail in this regard, unless either Apple releases an Apple Pencil compatible iPhone 12, or Microsoft is capable of doing what even Sasmung could not do - convert me to Android. For a while I have also been contemplating a MacBook Pro 14 if Apple deigns to grace us with its presence, but I can't for the life of me imagine what it could ever deliver that the x360 does not have, with the extreme disadvantage of being MacOS.

Marty, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  4. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh yeah, the post everyone has been waiting for, and it didn't disappoint.
    Although in accounting terms, there's a YoY decline of about 15%

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

dstrauss, DRTigerlilly and JoeS like this.
  5. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

A very respectable list of choices! :vbeek: :thumbsup:

nnthemperor likes this.
  6. nnthemperor

nnthemperor Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, first and foremost since we in Asia are already 12hrs into 2020, a happy New year to all. I can tell you all, it does feel like a promising year in all aspects; health, finance, family, and especially tech wise.

Was a flat year for me too.
    IN: only the GTabA with S-pen. Great little device, but I find myself using it less and less lately. Finally convinced, with an Android phone, I don't need an Android tablet of any size.

OUT: Nothing handed down to the family. Daughter still wants my GN8, but that'll be this year. Ordered a $200 Umidigi F2(still a month since order and no sign of it) on AliExpress because it comes with vanilla Android 10 and a 5000mah battery.

I guess holiday 2020 will be deciding what kind of year it will be for me tech wise. Still a long way off.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

@dstrauss What was the frustration with the MBP?

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Well as far as portable tablet gear, my 2015 time capsule continues...still rockin' my Z Canvas and Note 5 duo (which honestly doesn't feel that old! :p).

In fact, I might be traveling back in time having obtained yet another Z Canvas (courtesy of @Steve S) which looks practically brand new!

And honestly...I'm loving it!

Have I gone off the deep end? I'm probably one of three people to personally buy two Z Canvases, and somehow I'm feeling really good. :D

Lilawyn, dstrauss, Steve S and 3 others like this.
  9. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Nah, I feel ya Marty. IMO, the last few years have been very slow and iterative tech-wise. The last big shifts were... the Surface Pro, the concept of the Yoga, and the iPad getting a pen? And those were, what.... 7 or 8 years ago, and 5 years ago? And we've been at 14 nm for ages. All the improvements have been small refinements, step by step-- a tiny bit more battery life, a bit better speakers, a bit better pen, a little thinner, a little lighter, a bit better screen, etc.

I think 2020 looks interesting. We'll be getting the MS Duo and Neo, and that will be a big push into new form factors. An iPhone with a pencil would be awesome too-- about the only thing that would make me try out a big phone. I'd upgrade for that. But mostly, I haven't felt a need to upgrade. The tools I have do what is necessary, and if you don't need a lot of power or a lot of ports for monitors and such (both of which I don't need) the newer devices haven't really offered much that's substantially better. Definitely not 1500$ worth of better.

nnthemperor and Marty like this.
  10. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Oh let’s see here.

New Tech -

iPad Mini 5 - supprisingly I almost never draw on it.....the file system and somewhat critical flaw of how the pen zaps power when it’s physically in motion....usually means when I do want to draw on it, good chance the pens battery will be dead. For every other purpose however....it’s great.....probably use it more then any other device....even my phone. Really wish they used Pencil #2 instead.

Note 9 Phone - bought cheap refurbished one from eBay for half the retail price. Came in mint condition and still works great. Bought it more as a backup replacement for my Note 8 phone for a month long Asia trip.

HP Zbook X2 - bought 8th gen, 16GB dream color model....not for drawing but to use for a coding bootcamp. I love the device...but given the size, thickness, and weight being significant over that of a Surface Pro....I constantly wonder if I would have been better just upgrading to a Pro 7 instead. But I always wanted the Zbook so it fulfills that desire for it.,,.and the Bluetooth detachable keyboard really comes in handy with multi monitor setups.

Asus Zen Touch Pro - 15.6 inch, multitouch, USB-C monitor with a built in 4 hour battery. I bought it to use with the Zbook X2. It’s a workable set up....but the screen res is only 1080....where the Zbook res is much higher.....so there is a size issue moving programs between monitors (VS code). So for 2020 I will consider potentially getting a 4K monitor instead.

LG 29 inch ultra wide monitor - my current home desktop rig is a Cintiq 21 Ux with two additional 29 ultra wide monitors stacked on top of each other (21:9 ratio). I basically bought a 3rd so I can arrange it vertically next to the other two. Still haven’t set it up yet.....I had a spare monitor mount arm....but can’t seem to find it.

Surface Slim Pen - even though the underlying digitizer tech is the same....used with current Surface Devices.....the slim pen is still a significant improvement in my book. Since getting it....I haven’t even touched my old Surface pens. The new nib assembly, room temp plastic construction, and greater (more natural) control over the lower end of the pressure curve make the Slim Pen so much more enjoyable to draw with.

Remaining Tech

Mobile Studio Pro 13 - had this for over 3 years....still runs good...but given the shift in my computing needs from art to coding....I really haven’t used it much lately.

Galaxy Book 10.6 - still my little tablet that could. I use this primarily for travel and life drawing classes....over 2 years old and it still runs well. Should it crap out....I would very likely secure a replacement from eBay.

Surface Pro 5 - still running good....but I have half a year left in my Microsoft complete protection plan....with 2 accidental breaks still.....so come May or June....I predict some calamity will accidentally befall my Pro 5....and hopefully Microsoft will give me a Pro 6 or 7 for replacement instead.

Surface Go - almost never use it.....when a more compelling Microsoft product comes out......like the Neo, Duo, or a Full redesigned Pro 8.....very likely I would trade in both my Pro 5 and Go towards a new device.

Lilawyn, JoeS, Marty and 1 other person like this.