2019 Tech Purchase Confessions

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JoeS, Dec 31, 2019.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

We did one of these last year and it became a fun thread, so let's make it a tradition! Let's have an end-of-year discussion of the tech that we bought or got rid of this year. Even though 2019 was to be the worst year for personal tech since 2018, personally I had quite a bit of turnover! :eek:

Tech outflux
    - sold an iPhone 7 Plus 256GB on eBay, I wanted AMOLED, wireless charging, and a better camera
    - sold my Surface Go 8GB/128GB on eBay. It was just too weak and still had bad battery life

Tech influx
    - bought an iPhone XS 256GB. Mostly love it, except the pretty bad TMobile reception
    - bought a Galaxy Book 2. $500 on eBay was just too good to pass up. Great media machine.
    - bought an X1 Tablet 3rd gen i7/16GB/1TB refurbished from Lenovo for under $900. I mean...

Keepers
    - still got the X1Y3 16GB/1TB, it's hanging in there, but the battery not so much
    - still got my iPad Pro 10.5 512GB. Can't do without the music apps, so I'm keeping it.
    - still got my Apple Watch 4 LTE. I'd like the always on display of the 5, but not at that price!

So in summary, I actually managed to keep some stuff, but that's still way more turnover than I had expected. Oops.. How about you guys?

Lilawyn and nnthemperor like this.
  2. JoeS

nnthemperor likes this.
  3. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

You expect me to remember what happened all year? Here's a list of things that may or may not have happened in the past year:

Tech out:
    - I think I only sold the GoodEReader 13.3, but I'm not sure if that was actually in the past year.
    Tech in:
    - Yogabook C930. Typing on it now. Well, actually, typing on an external keyboard through a USB-C dock with a 4k monitor attached now.
    - So many thinkpads. I got into classic thinkpads again. I've been using the x61t with the SXGA+ screen. Fun little machine.
    - Galaxy Note 9 and Dex dock. Sometimes my monitor and keyboard are connected to the phone, it's surprisingly useful. I just got my NexDock delivered today, so I can also pretend my phone is a laptop, but it has a flaky USB-C in connector, so I've got a support ticket open and it may be going back. Beautiful hardware otherwise.
    Keepers:
    - Despite much thought given to alternatives, I'm still using a first gen iPadPro12 as my primary music reader.
    - My Galaxy Tab A 9.6 with S Pen has been re-enlisted to occasional duty as an ereader.

Sad tech lost: I briefly had a Kindle Voyage that I was really enjoying, but lost it somewhere in Wyoming. I think it fell out of the van door at a gas station. :(

I keep almost buying a Surface Pro X. I have a few hours left in 2019.

Lilawyn, nnthemperor and JoeS like this.
  4. JoeS

Haha, you and me both. But between the Galaxy Book 2 and the X1 Tablet 3rd I think I'm all tableted up for the moment. Give me a few weeks. :D

nnthemperor likes this.
  5. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

A quiet year tech-wise for me. I'm still on the 5!! year old Thinkpad 14, my 4 year old Iphone SE, and my 1-year old Remarkable E-Ink tablet.

I really love the 10.1" textured, e-ink Remarkable screen with Wacom EMR pen for note taking at client meetings, calendering, using as a diary, some sketching, and some lite pdf book reading. It is a very simple and limited device, but it does exactly what I like- help me focus and drill down without distractions.

The Thinkpad does fine. I've changed a hinge, a charging port, and a battery over the last 5 years. I've sent it to the repair depot, and I've had a technician come to my house. Thinkpad service is always fantastic, and I treat my devices like crap, so that's good news. LOL. I've looked at the Samsung Pen devices (super pen, terrible typing experience, generally terrible sound), the Surface Book 2 (good typing, great screen, average pen input, average sound , and the Thinkpad Yoga Carbon G4 (superb typing, average pen, good sound, runs hot, smaller screen than I want) many times, and the iPad Pro 12.6 (great pen, great sound, smaller screen, no good docs for typing though) but none of them have a sophisticated enough feature set for me to want to switch. I'm currently waiting for Ice Lake devices to come out, because the battery boost seems like it will finally be legit for light users like me. I really want a 15.6" device with great typing and great speakers that runs cool and quiet with great battery life and a super pen. Hahahahaha! Each device almost does what I want, but I can't seem to get the complete package.

I broke my iphone SE, got an iphone 6, didn't like it and returned it, and then fixed the screen on my SE. Back in tiny-phone heaven. ! I've looked at a variety of what area called "voice phones," but dumb phones still don't do enough for my work needs.

I'm hoping this next year finally provides me with some opportunities to upgrade. I'm ready for an Iphone SE2, a ReMarkable 2, and a new super fancy laptop. !

Lilawyn, JoeS and nnthemperor like this.
  6. violajack

The Samsung Galaby book thread was active again and I was on ebay today looking at the 10.6, the night it young. But my poor Yogabook struggles to drive the big display with 4GB of RAM, as nice as the spen is, I don't need another 10" screen with 4GB RAM.

Waiting on this silly Nexdock (that I'm typing on now BTW) has really slowed me down this year. I backed the Kickstarter in the spring, it was supposed to ship in August. Every time I would get bored and think I wanted to try something else, I would just think that I should just wait a little for this thing to come and then I'd get to play with the Note 9 being my primary device. I sprung for the 512GB note because of this thing. I finally gave in a little and got the Dex dock when my husband offered me a 4K display he didn't need anymore.

I mean, I've been dreaming of this kind of modular set up ever since the Palm Folio. I had an Atrix dock back in the day too. The hardware has finally caught up. The experience is fluid. But the software is still awkward in places. Mobile Chrome is almost there and Samsung's browser is almost there in different ways. I use the spen and note as a small notepad often during the day, but sometimes I need a bigger screen I can write on. So, the Note can do a lot with these two docks, but not everything.

Although, now I'm tempted to pick up a Lumia 950XL or something like that to try contiuum.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lilawyn likes this.
  7. JoeS

Yeah, now that I have usb-c docks around the house, I occasionally hook up my 950XL to my keyboard, mouse, and monitor, just to see what could have been. Such cool technology, such bad product mismanagement by MS. :confused:

8. Lilawyn

Lilawyn Pen Pal - Newbie

This thread has already been incredibly informative. There's still a few hours left to make good decisions... but as of this writing:

Tech Out
    None, which surprised me! I did a major house-clean of old tech in 2018, which is probably why this year was refreshingly minimal.

Tech In
    + Surface Studio 2. I bought the mid-range Surface Studio 2 directly from the Microsoft Store at the end of January, to replace an old desktop+Wacom combination I had to get rid of in 2018. It's a 7th gen i7 / 32GB / 1 TB / GTX 1070 beast, which is a sight bit better than the desktop it replaced. I have loved it so far. I'd forgotten how much of my weekly work routine was struggling Wacom drivers... until this year, where the sum total of my struggles have been to update one WinTab driver, once, to get the right pressure curve in Illustrator. Otherwise, no tablet crashes, no driver nonsense, no resetting the whole system because the pen stops working in the middle of client work. It's been...suspiciously delightful.

+ Accessories! I own three Surface Pens in various colors and the surface dial. I really love the minimal aesthetic.

Keepers
    + Surface Pro 6. It keeps chugging along, and has served me well as a portable note-taking device. I've experienced an 8% loss in battery life in its first year of operation, which isn't great. I've been trying to get better about not leaving it plugged into the dock overnight, but I'm terrible about remembering to check this.

+ iPad Pro, 12.9" (2017 version). It fell out of favor as a media creation tool last year, but I love it as a tablet that I use in bed. I suffer from pretty acute panic disorder, and the iPad's been pretty great about helping me focus & fall asleep without sedation.

(Edited) Purchases I made RIGHT NOW
    + Remarkable E-Ink tablet. Steve B's description of this sounds AMAZING, and it might be what I'm looking for to replace my paper journals. Edit: I'm not going to wait, I'm going to jump on this immediately. Cheers to 2020!

Purchases I'm Thinking of Making Soon
    + A Wacom AES or EMR tablet to give me a better drawing experience. I've enjoyed using Surfaces, but I think I'm willing to put up with some driver shenanigans to experience Wacom-levels of pen responsiveness again.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    JoeS likes this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Big spender?

This year I bought the

Galaxy Note 9 128gb dual sim Snapdragon model (courtesy of China)

And..

An 8qt Ninja Foodi Deluxe

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

JoeS and Lilawyn like this.
  10. violajack

Doooooood! I was tempted by those too, but I already have an Instant Pot. So when we moved, I got a giant toaster oven that air fries.

JoeS, Lilawyn and DRTigerlilly like this.