2018 Tech Purchase Confessional

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by JoeS, Dec 18, 2018.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

I thought it might be fun to have an end-of-year thread where we discuss the tech that we bought or got rid of this year. If nothing else, it might be a reality check! First step toward recovery is admitting that you have a problem.. :D

Tech outflux
    - sold a TPYoga 12 8GB/1TB. Got very little for it, these things don't hold their value well :eek:
    - handed down a SP4 8GB/128GB, found it was a little too large for an 'around town' device
    - sold an iPhone 6S Plus 64GB, was filling up, and didn't like the camera.

Tech influx
    - bough a X1Y3 16GB/1TB, very nice machine, but so.. many... issues….! :mad:
    - bought a Surface Go 8GB/128GB, still like it, but battery life is pretty bad
    - bought a GTX1070 eGPU, love that thing
    - bought a Samsung Odyssey VR headset, love it but it's very heavy
    - bought a used iPhone 7 Plus 256GB. That should do it :)

Overall not too bad. The most likely victim in the coming months is the Go. If MS releases the Go 2 on ARM I'll give it a good look. How'd y'all do this year?

pierro78 and Marty like this.
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Decided to donate old hardware and get a write off, instead of selling on eBay. Got ride of an old x230t with dock, an old Thinkpad tablet 2 with keyboard and case, and old Thinkpad tablet 10 with keyboard, and a broken Thinkpad helix gen 1. Definitely made me assess the amount of tech cr*p I have lying around.

Still itching for a 15.6” convertible with good pen and good sound. So much research, but no love so far. :( can’t get the right combo of size and features. If they made a 15.6” X1 Yoga I would have gotten it. If they made a 15.6” c930 yoga I would have gotten it too. Alternately, if they would just make the 15.6” yoga 730 have the c930s sound bar, I’d get it, etc etc. I really would like a bigger screen, but can’t get the right features to come with it.

In September I picked up an e-ink wacom tablet, the “ReMarkable Tablet”. This is now my mobile note taker with clients, journal, and sketchbook. It has its issues, but I actually like how it’s limited in ways because it helps focus me. The Wacom EMR tech is great, and I like the e-ink display a lot.

pierro78, doobiedoobiedum and JoeS like this.
  3. JoeS

Nice, thanks for chiming in. Looks like we're at a similar point. I also did some major tech clearing over the past two years. Last year I got rid of my X220t. I do still have my X61t for sentimental reasons. Runs pretty good with Windows 10, minus losing touch capability. The full-size Wacom pen (in a silo!!!) still works great. Coincidentally I also very much like my 2017 purchase of the Sony DPT-RP1 e-ink PDF reader with pen support. I appreciated the focused nature of it as well.

pierro78 and nnthemperor like this.
  4. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...

Tech Influx
    • Surface Book 2 (see Tech Purgatory below)
    • HP Spectre x360 - returned an overheating demon
    • HP Spectre Folio - attempt one, returned because screen too washed out and blurry for my old eyes
    • Surface Pro 5 LTE - returned because Surface Pro 6 announced - but STILL no LTE
    • Surface Go - returned in hopes of trying LTE
    • iPad Pro 11 - returned because it was just to expensive and too limited on the productivity side of things
    • Surface Go LTE (see Tech Purgatory below)
    • HP Spectre Folio 4k version (on order)
    Tech Outflux
    • Surface Pro 4 handed down to son for Surface Book 2
    • iPad Pro 10.5 handed down to my newly minted professor - she needed LTE around the campus
    • Sold iPhone 7 Plus (surplus to my iPhone X)
    • Sold Galaxy Book 12 - had to move away from my biggest crutch (or was that crush)
    Tech Purgatory
    • Surface Book 2 - great device; overheats in Draw mode, so tough for full time note taking; poor Clipboard battery life; GTX1050 is serious overkill for what I do - going back to firm for re-purposing
    • Surface Go LTE - probably headed to return bin, but it is just so tiny and precious - puts the iPad Pro 11 to shame
    General Condemnation

To ALL OEM's of devices that use pens AND DO NOT PUT THE PEN IN A SILO - magnets and loops ARE NOT THE ANSWER! Either provide a stick in silo (even if you up-charge us for a full size pen), or incorporate a pen clip that slots into a groove in the frame - A REAL ATTACHMENT POINT!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  5. JoeS

Haha, thanks, this is the post that this entire thread was started for. I have to say, it does not disappoint, good grief! :D Your tech influx section is basically a "Tech throughput" section :eek:, not many keepers this year. The Folio 4k is the lone device that has a chance to stay in the arsenal until the end of 2018. And only because there's fewer than two weeks left.. :)

That actually made me wonder about Tech Keepers, stuff that I still have from 2017 or earlier. For me those are a Lumia 950XL as bedside reader, the Sony DPT-RP1 e-ink reader for focused annotating, an ancient Kindle paperwhite that I turn on once a year, a 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9 for the great music apps (Cubasis), and the ole X61t for sentimental reasons. I like to think that this is still in the 'enthusiast' range, as opposed to hoarder.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    nnthemperor likes this.
  6. dstrauss

I didn't even think about closet bound retirees - I have an x61s, possibly one of my favorites, back there, as well as a Toshiba T1100 Plus (still fires up I think) and a dead Toshiba T1000 (best computer ever made - "only" 6 pounds in an era of suitcase sized portables).

pierro78 and JoeS like this.
  7. dellaster

dellaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That makes me feel like I didn't sin at all. :p

Out: iPad mini 4; iPhone SE; Playstation 4 Pro
    In: Surface Book; Galaxy Note8

I still have a TPT2 w/keyboard, dock, case; Yoga 710 11.6"; NUC6i5syk w/4k monitor; and Fujitsu Q584. I should find a home for the first three. The Q584 stays till it dies. ;)

The Surface Book, though it's been great, will likely get replaced this spring by a 2-in-1 with a 15.6" 4k screen and beefier dGPU, which also pulls as much below 100W under gaming load as possible. The new HP Spectre x360 15 "gem cut" with 1050 ti Max-Q is in the lead. We'll see how the reviews look and what gets announced at CES.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
    JoeS likes this.
  8. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I had a baby in 2017, so much of what happened in the actual last calendar year vs after baby but still in 2017 is a complete blur. As a teacher who has babies in the summer, I tend to think more on a school year basis anyway. But here are the most recent things I can think of

Out:
    Surface Book: was great when I was teaching all day in a classroom, pen wasn't good enough and short battery life made it iffy for performing. Also I found an amazing deal on a Surface Pro 4.
    Surface Pro 4: again with the pen issue, I just don't like the way the Surface pen writes for me. It went out on a trade for an iPad Pro 12.9 with cellular data
    Chromebook Plus: loved it and used it as my main machine for quite a while. But it was getting crashy with the way I used it - tons of tabs and half a dozen Android apps all at once. I think it just didn't have enough RAM. Also, the keyboard started to feel mushy and the over all plastic feel was getting to me.

In:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7 with spen x2: My oldest liked it so much, I gave it to him and got another one for me. At $100 a pop, why not? I had plans to have him use it to do worksheets since we're homeschooling this year.
    GoodEReader 13.3: Wanted to see what big eInk was all about. Turns out, not much when it doesn't run google play as promised. My sheet music in on Google Drive and in Google Play Books.
    Thinkpad x300: It had actually been sitting around for a while, I grabbed it out of nostalgia when it popped up on craigslist for $80. It's a brilliant little machine with terrible battery life, but it reminded me why I love thinkpad keyboards, which lead to all the rest of this list.
    Thinkpad T420s: With nvidia optimus graphics because I like to pretend that I have time to play games. But I don't. Also, it's slower and bigger than I'd prefer. And the stock screen is crap. There's a WQHD mod available for it, but I don't have the time and the performance would still not be up to speed.
    A lot of thinkpads: Literally a Lot. Of 10. Found it on craigslist for cheap, for parts or repair, thought it'd be fun to try to piece together some working ones. I came out of it with a working T60, a quirky but working T61 hackintosh, three working really old 23 somethings with XP and no wifi, and 4 T40s in various stages of failure, but one that might work if I replace the backlight. But I really have no time or space to mess with them and need to sell the pile of leftovers.
    Thinkpad X250: I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the chicklet keyboard vs the classic, but I remember liking the it well enough when I had tried them in the past. Found one with a 1080p screen. Typing on it now. Wish it had more battery life, but I like the size/feel.
    Galaxy note 4: my nexus 6p battery was nearly toast from playing Pokemon Go all the time. I can replace the battery in the note 4 and I always wanted a note phone.
    We've had a lot of annoying large expenses come up lately, so my biggest purchase was the X250 for $275. I'd love to have a Note 9 or that ridiculous Huawei mate 20x, a yoga book, some of those new iPads that work with the pencil for the kids.

On the way out:
    GoodEReader 13.3: it's cool but I'm just not using it.
    A million old phones: My husband keeps claiming we need to keep them as "testers" but he's not developing apps anymore, so...
    Many of the thinkpads: I've had the T60 on craigslist for a while and gotten some interest, but no follow through yet. I need to list the T61 cheap because the cmos battery connectors need to be soldered back on so right now the BIOS clock needs to be reset on each boot. I may keep one of the really old ones for old XP games, but we're decluttering, and right now, it's just a box of hopes, dreams, and clutter.
    Probably the T420s also. I've gone back and forth, but I think I'll keep the X250.

I've come to the conclusion that I like to have a laptop for table work and a much smaller tablet for writing/couching. With the baby still being in the cuddly/snuggly stage, most of my couch browsing is done one handed on a phone still. As he gets older, maybe I'll invest in something better than the Tab A.

JoeS likes this.
  9. JoeS

I truly appreciate it when I read a sentence that I am 100% certain I have never read in my life! :thumbsup: Otherwise a very impressive list of tech, especially the collection of ThinkPads. :vbeek:

doobiedoobiedum, Marty and violajack like this.
  10. dstrauss

And you guys call ME addicted...

Azzart and JoeS like this.