2018 EMR Tablet Pen/Stylus Comparison

Discussion in 'Artists' started by artistebot, Apr 14, 2018.

1. MelloCello

MelloCello Pen Pal - Newbie

Which tablet PC EMR Pen would you say is the best in terms of pressure sensitivity lending itself towards the lightest touch??

I don't care about looks too much, but one button would be nice. just a light sensitivity is key!

2. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

IMHO, the current EMR pens perform similar to each other. The Wacom (non-tablet PC) EMR pen is probably most sensitive.

I like the Staedtler Noris digital the most for sensitivity as it is by far the lightest and most ergonomic for such work.

WillAdams likes this.
  3. ontic00

ontic00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Which EMR pen and tip combination gives the best "pen-on-paper" or "pencil-on-paper" feeling when used on a glossy surface like the Chromebook Pro's screen? My favorite stylus so far is the Noris Digital, but both the Dell Active EMR Pen and the HP ZBook X2 pen here look very nice. With the HP one, is the button easily accidentally pressed a lot? I don't use the button features and I find myself accidentally pressing the button on both the S3 and S4 pens, which annoys me. I also recently found this EMR pen: https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-x360-11-EMR-Pen-with-Eraser-stylus-black/441972349. Does anyone have any experience with it? The reviews aren't very good but I am going to place an order for some other stuff from Walmart in the next few days and am thinking about including this pen, especially since Walmart's return policy is usually pretty generous if I end up not liking it. If I do order it, I will post about my experience with it here. :)

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Which EMR pen and tip combination gives the best "pen-on-paper" or "pencil-on-paper" feeling when used on a glossy surface like the Chromebook Pro's screen?..>>

@ontic00 ...After having owned many tablets, and experimenting with many combinations of nib types and screen protectors, my opinion is that you cannot expect a "paper feel" with any available pen / nib and a bare glass screen. The best you can hope for is a small amount of bite kind of like a dry marker on a whiteboard. This is not to say that you can't find an acceptable pen feel for drawing; I'm only saying that I've never been able to achieve a convincing "paper feel" on a bare glass screen. Add a screen protector, however, and you can start to approach something more like pencil-on-paper. The problem then becomes one of finding the "best" screen protector and nib combination, which is largely a personal preference issue.

At the moment, and in my opinion, one of the better pen-on-paper user experiences is offered by HP's ZBook X2, which comes with a matte screen coating and a pen with a medium-hard plastic nib. I have also had good results with a very light matte Photodon SP and pens that can use a felt nib. I realize that this answer leaves many open questions, but in my opinion, there really isn't any one "best" answer... just many combinations of "acceptable feel"...

<<...With the HP one, is the button easily accidentally pressed a lot?..>>

...No and yes. The button on the HP pen is relatively high on the barrel. When I grip the pen, my two fingers lie below the button, so as I use the pen, they do not tend to hit the button. However, the button is at just about the right position on the barrel where my thumb naturally rests, so I do have to be aware of how the pen is rotated so that I don't accidently brush it with my thumb. It's not bad, though. I very seldom hit the button unintentionally...

thatcomicsguy and ontic00 like this.
  5. ontic00

ontic00 Pen Pal - Newbie

Here are some pictures of the HP x360 11 EMR Pen I ordered from Walmart (https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-x360-...05710417422987783020&affillinktype=10&veh=aff), along with the other pens I own (left to right in the first picture: Samsung S Pen with Eraser, HP x360 11 EMR Pen, Tab S3 S Pen, Tab S4 S Pen, Staedtler Noris Digital).

Here are the pluses and minuses of the HP Pen compared to the S Pens:

Pluses:
    -No button (I never use the S Pen buttons and find I often accidentally press them, which annoys me).
    -A rounder, more pen-like barrel (I don't like the rectangular shape of the Tab S3 S Pen).
    -A working clip.
    -It feels more durable than the S Pens.
    -The included eraser is nice if you use it, though I don't.

Minuses:
    -It is very uncomfortable to hold - I think it is because of a variety of reasons. It is thicker than both the S Pens and also made out of a harder, more uncomfortable plastic. There is a rubber grip on the end, but I think it might make it more uncomfortable to hold and not less.
    -The included tips are more slippery against the glass surface than the black, rubbery tips included with the S Pen and Noris Digital. The rubbery tips are much better against a glass surface and give it a more "paper-like" feel - I imagine if I ever find a good matte screen protector for my Chromebook Pro that the harder tips included with the HP Pen might be better against it, but for now while I am just using the glass I prefer the rubbery tips. (As can be seen in the last two pictures, it is possible to put the smaller tips into the HP Pen, however the larger circle makes it seem less accurate than using one of the S Pens designed for the smaller tips. It also can't be tilted as far if you use that feature of Wacom EMR pens.)

Overall, I found the minuses of the HP Pen to outweigh the pluses and will be returning it. I can't recommend it mostly because of how uncomfortable it was to hold. My favorite EMR pen is the Noris Digital, since it is most like a real pencil. The Samsung S Pen with Eraser would simulate a pen much more realistically, in my opinion, if it removed the button, was a bit longer, and used newer tips (the HP Pen tips and the newer S Pen tips both are too small to fit in the S Pen with Eraser). The next closest pen-like stylus is the S4 S Pen, which would feel almost exactly like one of the multi-colored pens (https://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Color-...r-color-convenience-one-pen-BIC-USA/949929573) if not for the button.

20190223_081029.jpg 20190223_081114.jpg 20190223_141609.jpg 20190223_141618.jpg

thatcomicsguy and WillAdams like this.
  6. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Though you're not into erasers, I wish Samsung would release the Galaxy Book2 stylus for general sale already!

7. wandrinsheep

wandrinsheep Pen Pal - Newbie

I’ve found a few of those styli going for about $57-75 depending on if they come with replacement nibs or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

not genuine...Samsung doesn't have them for sale yet...

noticed quite a few of the ads have the word Samsung blurred out