2018 EMR Tablet Pen/Stylus Comparison

Discussion in 'Artists' started by artistebot, Apr 14, 2018.

1. artistebot

artistebot Scribbler - Standard Member

I used to have the Fujitsu stylus, just like TCG said, the offset was large, plus no support for tilt. I have not tried the Parblo pen, if you get one, please post here about it. :)

I have the Wacom Bamboo Smart pen, and it has worked well. The Smardi Pen looks pretty neat, I might order one to try it out, thanks TCG!

I prefer the HP Zbook x2 pen the most, I use it and the Norris STAEDTLER most of the time.

https://store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-zbook-x2-pen

HP used to sell them for ~$57 (w coupon) so I bought three of them.

I also use the Dell "Active EMR" pen, almost as good as the Norris in feel, but also has the tip eraser.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/sho...sEALw_wcB&lid=5704670&VEN3=111404599852803089

In regards to Pen surgery, I was thinking of 3d printing new buttons for them so they stick out a bit more. Maybe when I really need to....:)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  2. jbomb

jbomb Scribbler - Standard Member

yeah, I also wonder why more don't include the eraser. if you're using that technology a lot of programs work with erase.

artistebot likes this.
  3. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There's one on UK Ebay right now, £50. However don't you think your search is for a simpler time when Windows wasn't updating every 6 months and screwing over all your settings or breaking your drawing experience with Windows 10?
    I really liked drawing on the old m400, that's the machine that got me into digital art but it was a heavy thick brick. Strangely I don't remember cursor offset issues on the old Toshiba in the same way later HPs and Fujitsus had. Am I wearing rose tinted glasses regarding that old computer?

Are you?

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

For £50, I am somewhat tempted to find out! Though the seller says he won't ship to Canada.

Bearing in mind, my "simpler time" was only 13 months ago. That's when my Tecra finally died.

I do still have an old M200 which remains in working condition. I treat it with kid-gloves; it's my absolute emergency fallback machine when all else fails.

Plus it has a phone jack on it, plus software which allows me to use it to send FAX documents.

Cute side story: A common ploy with the Canadian government, when they want to throw down a road block in any sort of bureaucratic process, such as filing a tax form in an audit which they realize too late is going to cost them money rather than net them money, (d'Oh! Shoulda done their research before coming after me back then. The hell were they thinking?? I wasn't scavenging eBay for cheap used gear merely to entertain myself. Christ.), but they'll only let you file critical off-the-hook documents via FAX, knowing full well that nobody in the goddamned civilized world has kept a working fax machine in operation since the 90's!

Except for me, that is.

eBay is good for more than just cobbling together DIY Cintiqs!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Tams, doobiedoobiedum and WillAdams like this.
  5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

That is seriously impressive. I guess also one of the best returns on Monday spent on a digital device as I'm guessing your original one was from Ebay?
    Sad to think in comparison how little financial return many get from spending thousands on newer, supposedly better machines.

6. WillAdams

WillAdams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, I was very sad when I chose to give up using my Fujitsu Stylistic ST4121 and feel nostalgic every time I haul it out (it still works with a scanner, and I use its outdoor-viewable, transflective display when using a CNC machine out-of-doors.

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Holy crap, dude! When you post stuff, you POST stuff..!

8. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

OMFG what happened to that machine! that's so painful!

9. kneehowguys

kneehowguys Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Someday when I learn basic video editing, I can finally attain the sarcasm levels I've been dreaming of

Been messing around with a free video editor LightWorks

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

sowwy :(

hiramkey likes this.