2011 Tm2/tm3

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by shi, Dec 5, 2010.

1. shi

shi Pen Pal - Newbie

It's almost time for a new tablet. I'm still rocking the tx2000. I know CES is just a little over a month away but I was wondering if anybody knows or rather has an educated guess as to what the changes will be with the new tablet.

-Aloha

2. thingemajib

thingemajib Pen Pal - Newbie

i reckon they'll go back to AMD with some description of fusion at some point. From what i gather, fusion sounds perfect for this type of laptop.

3. SDreamer

SDreamer Scribbler - Standard Member

Somehow I think they might stay with Intel, after all the crap they got form using AMD (heat and battery life issues) and wait to see if AMD can prove itself. I think we'll see more of the same stuff of the tm2t, and more likely see, if there is a tm3, a big refresh of hardware and design. I really cannot think of anything else ground breaking they could do. It's got multitouch and pen input, maybe dual boot with WebOS? But that creates confusion for most consumers. Processors wise, Intel has their new sandybridge stuff coming out, so they'll throw that in most likely, with the inclusion of USB 3.0. If they can somehow simultaneously do pen and touch input, I would think that would be the next stop, but from the tm2t, it's more refreshing, quality issues, and design refresh is what I see.

4. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

We have simultaneous pen and touch input, but the touch gets disabled by the wacom driver when the pen gets near because of one obvious reason: your palm.

A refresh will come, but don't expect it to be too soon.

5. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I remember -not that long ago- people were saying the exact same thing about the new i-series processors coming to the Tm2. they were saying midway through 2011 for a processor update; it is only early December, and we've already seen 3 sets of "different" processors (The SU processors, the first i-series, and the slightly better i-series; unless there is one I am missing)

To be honest we have no Idea what so ever as to what HP will do at ces; but most likely they will keep the Tm2 line (it only makes sense they would as they have factories and infrastructure already in place, ones already making Tm2's) But on the other hand HP does a lot of things that make no sense (like not advertising one bit, or even promoting any of their Tablet PC's)

So don't expect much from HP, but be prepared to be surprised. :p

PS: I think AMD barely stood a chance in the mobile market years ago, but all chance of them remaining there went away a while ago. They still make great desktop processors (I would argue better than Intel does) but the mobile market was lost a while ago... Even HP -with all of their brilliant moves- wouldn't go back to putting AMD's in their Tablets

6. Toby

Toby Pen Pal - Newbie

Nothing now, but next year we'll get a much thinner TabletPC, without the battery hump and about the same battery life. Hopefully a 16:10 scren proportion. DLNA, USB 3.0, Bluetooth 3.0, lighted keyboard, dedicated multimedia buttons, SPDIF i/0...

7. wakeupneo

wakeupneo Scribbler - Standard Member

The i5 upgrade was expected, at least I expected it. HP won't be skipping a whole CPU generation in any market segment (they aren't Apple).
    This time HP is expected to bring something really new, not just a new motherboard like it did with the tm2-2xxx refresh (and the 21xx, which uses the same mobo, just a different CPU soldered on it). This takes time.

Putting any speculations aside: There are no ULV Sandy Bridge CPUs expected before 2011Q2, so no new tm2 on the CES. There are some rumours about stuff like i5-2530UM, but as long as there is no i3 equivalent anywhere near the market, HP won't be updating the internals. As you can see from the "national" versions, there are only a very few i5 equipeed tm2s sold.

8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

1. Better viewing angles
    2. 400 Nit outdoor display
    3. No battery hump
    4. Programable express keys on the bezel
    5. A lock for the latch
    6. Overall thinner and lighter.

We all can dream can't we

9. shi

shi Pen Pal - Newbie

haha. Just add good battery life and great performance and I'm sold.
    This is the one I am hoping for that I don't think will happen soon:
    6. Overall thinner and lighter. -We all can dream can't we

10. Juke

Juke Pen Pal - Newbie

One thing I'm sure the TM2's sucessor will have is the next generation of Synaptics Touchpads. Also I hope that multitouch will support more than 2 touch points.