2010 SSD and fan noise / heat

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by thrawn86, May 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello to all of you pioneers who swapped out your 2010's hard drive to SSD (and also those who ordered the OEM 32GB SSD from Fuji, if you feel you can contribute to this discussion).

The fan noise on my 2010 (as others have also noted) is near constant and loud. Underclocking or changing power options are not acceptable options for me. I am considering swapping to an SSD for this and other reasons.

Does the SSD reduce the fan on-time, as compared with the original "platter" hard drive? By how much? I would assume it does, since it reduces heat and the fan is a response to heat. But I want to hear from the horses' mouths on this before I shell out $1K for the SSD! :confused:

I particularly want to hear from 2010 owners, but I am not sure if others' experiences would be relevant to my situation. Anyone know?

Also, if you have an SSD (at least 32GB) or a favorite vendor to recommend please do so!

THANK YOU!:)

2. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Does your hard drive actually get warm? It never does for me. What does get warm is the ram probably because it's 4GB.

3. cheesetogo

cheesetogo Scribbler - Standard Member

I would imagine that an SSD is not likely to reduce the fan noise by much. The fan that you're hearing is used to cool the processor, and the warmth on the processor is not likely to decrease much at all with a switch to solid state. By removing your traditional hard drive you might be able to reduce some of the heat, it's doubtful that it will make a significant enough difference for the fan to slow down.

4. cyrus23

cyrus23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I hate to say it, but more processor = more fan. Its that simple. The fan only increases when things get hot. Like Cheese said above me, HDD don't tend to make lots of heat (not laptop drives atleast) Also the smaller the computer and the more you demand from the processor is going to equal lounder fan. Larger laptops with equal processors tend to be quieter because they have more space to quiet the fan noise. I use a 2010 and don't do anything crazy on it. As i'm writing this I have zero fan noise, but then again all i'm doing is typing.

I do own an eeePC, which is driven all by solid state memory. That little bugger gets hot when i'm playing video and other stuff. So I don't see sold state being a huge advantage in heat reduction. Sorry, I wish there was a better answer. But its just plain thermodynamics. Check out this site about CPU temp monitoring, and maybe you can figure out what is causing your fan to kick in:

http://www.yugatech.com/blog/freewares/monitor-your-cpu-temperature/

5. 919jack

919jack Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for the very helpful replies zunq, cheese, cyrus. I will go and check out the yugatech site for more info on what is heating me up. I suspect with email, office apps, and 5-50 firefox tabs always open, I am destined for some fan noise. I will probably hold off on the SSD until my price-to-fascination ratio drops a bit more;)

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Look at this review about the 32GB Crucial SSD. Looks like the SSD produces more heat than a normal hdd:
    So it looks like a SSD is faster but not always cooler.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  7. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

I've heard that SSD is better for the CPU, because of lower access times.
    In the T2010 the cpu may be the biggest culprit that's causing the heat(causing the fan to go on), and not the hard drive so I think a SSD would in the future be a better solution when they fix the heat problems but it's too expensive right now to even consider it.

8. gcox

gcox Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the 2010 with the OEM 32GB SSD drive. This was a refurbished one from Fujitsu. The fan does run more than I thought it would. I have 2 GB ram and In/out screen.

Using it at work I don't notice the fan noise. At home I can hear it sometimes.

GC

9. dmiris

dmiris Pen Pal - Newbie

gcox: can you please share you impressions from the stock SSD in T2010? In particular:
    - Do you happen to know/have measured the read/write transfer speed?
    - What is your cold boot time with Vista?
    - Energy consumption: have you had a chance to run your T2010 with a regular HDD and did you notice any battery life increase with SSD?
    - Any sign of/issues with SSD producing more heat than HDD?
    - How much useful storage space did you have after a fresh Vista (and perhaps Office) install?

Thank you!

10. gcox

gcox Pen Pal - Newbie

1) Windows Experience rates the SSD Hard drive at 5.2.
    2) After Vista, Office 2007 Student/teacker, OneNote 07, McAfee, and all the other odds and ends I am left with 10 gig of the original 28 gig with another partition of 1 gig. I have a 16gb SDHC and a 16gb Compactflash for space. Compact flash slot is very slow. SDHC is fast enough.
    3) HD Tune gives an average 41.9 mb throughput and a max of 45.4 mb/sec.
    4) Don't boot very often but wake from sleep is very very fast...about the time I get the lid open with figure print software is ready for log on.
    5) Batter life has been great but I haven't used a ragular HD in it.

The odd thing is it looks like the cable/connection to the 32gb SSD is not SATA so I can't swap it out...unless someone knows where to find the cable that will replace this cable and connect to an SATA drive.

I have ordered more screen protectors to try. The stock one is grainy so I ordered a couple from nushield to try.

Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.