200 Degrees Fahrenheit

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kingofmyworld324, May 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Today is the first warm day in months here in NY. I was watching diggnation and noticed that the cpu on my tx2500 was running at 200 degrees fahrenheit. When I closed the video the temps dropped to around 135F which I think is about normal. I know there is almost nothing I can do about this problem, I just wanna know if anyone else has reached these kind of temps. Thanks!

2. Luthian

Luthian Pen Pal - Newbie

Watching a video, thats a little unusual. But I've been playing Half-Life 2 on second-to-lowest settings and my tx2500 has been hitting 378K (according to the Windows Event log, triggering a "critical thermal event" hibernation) which is about 220F/105C and is above the safety threshold for the Turion Ultra series. I plan on sending it in for a fix this summer (probably needs fresh thermal paste).

3. kingofmyworld324

I recently saw a thread on the forums about applying the paste. I think it said that the factory didn't do a very good job of it. Do you think it will really help you though? I don't play computer games anymore so its not a problem for me, but I heard that flash video is resource intensive so that might be what caused it. Right now I only have this firefox window open with only one tab and speedfan is reading 137F.

Anyone else ever break the 200F level?

4. Luthian

Luthian Pen Pal - Newbie

I'd apply Arctic Silver myself, but I have a little more than 2 years left on a Three Year ADP warranty. I've also had heat shutdowns playing that "falling sand" browser game.

I only recently started having this problem, so them changing the thermal paste might make a difference.

5. gil29

gil29 A.E.

I play battle-field heroes while speed fan is running. Often times when I turn off the game I see temps around 98-102 degrees C. So thats around boiling (212F). I don't really like the fact that my computer does that...what are the temperatures I should be seeing? I'm in the same boat as Luthian, I have 2 years left on ADP warranty...so Arctic Silver is out of the question.

6. kingofmyworld324

7. 2.0™

2.0™ Been Inkin' Staff Member

Arctic silver won't work. It actually makes it heat up faster. What would work better is arctic ceramique. I know, I've tried them both.

But, if you really want to dial back the heat, undervolt. Search for undervolting Turion Ultra thread. Best thing you can possibly do for your TX2500.

I did it to my TX2500 with fantastic results.

Note, undervolting is not underclocking.

8. Mycanid

Mycanid There's a fungus amongus!

Just want to add my 2 cents that undervolting, while a little tricky to get the hang of, actually works very well.

It is definitely worthwhile in my opinion! :)

9. Luthian

Luthian Pen Pal - Newbie

I tried the PumaStateCtrl App, no mo matter what settings I tried (and I tried lots of them) I get a BSOD in under 15 minutes.

I've never heard of anyone have a system get hotter after applying arctic silver, though ceramique is supposed to be better. (Still can't do anything about it for 2+ years)

10. kingofmyworld324

I'm not that familiar with undervolting but CPUs are designed to work with a specific voltage for a reason. I'm not surprised that tampering with it causes blue screens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.