2 very important questions...do I need it? If yes..which one do i need?????

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dr. David, Aug 3, 2005.

1. dr.sam

dr.sam Pen Pal - Newbie

:) Hi, every one...this is my first time in this web site and I want u to help me. I am so confused!!! :-{
    I need a laptop and I am trying to see if I should get a tablet instead. but I'm so doubtful if I should invest more than 2000$ in a tablet...let me tell u what I do first ,I'm a graduate student in dentistry doing a residency and a masters. I would preform: internet searching and downloading (articles, pic's...)
    Power point presentations. Patient files and pic's(alot of pics). Research writing. taking notes (not a lot though)..a big screen is a must.
    My colleges advised me to get a regular notebook. But I like the idea of a tablet. i think it might be usefull to me one way or another..
    I never had one so I don't know if it worth it for me or not, putting in mind that with 2000-2200$ I can get a very decent note book. my concern is that i'm going to get a tablet and never use it as a tablet!!
    the second questions. Which tablet. I did a lot of reviewing and I think I'm down to the questions. every one is asking. acer c314 or tecra m4 and let's say there's no different in price, which one is better? And have better service ( I live in California)
    Sorry this is a tow pretty long questions...PLEASE ANSWER ME...ASAP I need to buy something sooooooon
    ThanksThank

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Easy Doc, you're getting too excited! LOL And, the budget is out of whack, if you're not gaming, you don't need to spend that much. The Toshiba R15 sounds like it's right up your alley. Hit the review tab at the top of the site and check it out, seems like a real nice fit for you.

3. Dr. David

Dr. David Pen Pal - Newbie

Dr. Sam
    As a physician I can attest to the value of a convertible computer. I bring my computer into the treatment room for patient encounters. I find typing is faster than writing so I may at first type the patient’s subjective complaints. Then I have an EMR program that is point and click. I convert the 'notebook' to a 'tablet' and finish most of the note. During a patient visit, in tablet mode, I also pull up web sites to show them diagrams and information about their condition. I have a Fujitsu 1040 with a 12" screen. It is not too big to be intrusive during a patient encounter but plenty big for writing and viewing. I have also found another distraction technique. During a minor procedure I will let a patient read the newspaper on the computer in tablet mode. Most patients are fascinated by the technology and forget about the procedure. I don't know if that would work for dentistry...maybe mount it on the ceiling!!!