2 questions for my new tc4200

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Noahas, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

Just got an obscene deal on a NEW tc4200 yesterday - $1000. There are 2 more available if interested. I was hesitant, since I have always despised (strong word for a strong feeling) laptops because of the limited cpu power and smaller keyboard vs a desktop. I figured at $1000, if I don't like it, I can put it on eBay and probably make a profit or break even at least.

I thought it might make sense since when I meet with clients (I have an investment advisory firm) I take paper notes, then go into Goldmine (my contact management program) and re-type all my notes, then give a copy to my assistant to have her do the things she needs to follow up on. The tablet, was seeming to be quite a time saver, to allow me to take notes and then convert to text and move right into Goldmine and also just send a copy of the note file (I don't know all the terminology yet) to my assistant.

The following day after thinking about this (this past Friday) I was at the Chicago Autoshow and the sales people walking around the Nissan booth had the NEC Versapads and were jotting notes and taking name/address info right as they were talking to people on the floor... I was hooked, had to do it. Did a ridiculous amount of R&D this weekend, and pulled the trigger yesterday (Monday).

After that brief :D intro, here are my couple of questions that I was hoping someone might be able to help with. The more I look at the specs on this, I am thinking that for my business uses (don't need to run games, music, encode videos, etc.) I could almost use this to replace my 1 year old desktop since it is fairly close to equally powerful. But I have 2 monitors set up now, if I use the docking station, can I do some type of dual-screen set up? Or even without the docking station, but I assume that would be necessary if it were possible.

And question 2 ... well, I typed too much and forgot question 2 already, so I'll have to save that for another post.

Thanks in advance.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

3. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

And you might be able to use the Matrox setup if two external monitors are important.

4. rankine

rankine Pen Pal - Newbie

So where did you purchase it?

5. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry, what would the "matrox setup" be?

Also, I looked at the link on the Intel site and it says it should be able to support 2 devices (SVDO or something), but I assume since there is only a VGA output as well as an S-video output according to the pictures in the review here:

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=250

That I would need to have an LCD monitor that supports S-video (or an adapter if possible)?

-- The eBay seller I got it from was: microsne

I talked to him for some time on the phone. They are a regular computer business in MA dealing mainly with universities and had these 6 tc4200's to compare to some x41's for a client. They are all sold as new and these are all still in the original plastic wrapping.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the advice on the dual monitors, if I am able to get this working ... I may have a 1 year old desktop for sale ...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

7. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

Fantastic, thanks for the reply Brian, the desktop is fast looking like it is in trouble ...

8. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

It's possible. I'm not familiar with the insides of the tc4200, but if the processor is better than a Celeron (preferably a Centrino) and you get at least a gig of RAM in the thing, I think it may be safe to say you'll have a more powerful tablet pc than your desktop.

If you can get a 7200 RPM hard drive, you'll really be set in the speed department. Again, I don't know what the default on your tc4200 is.

I've always been happy with HP computers, myself. All three computers in my house (my desktop, my sister's desktop, and my sister's notebook) are all HP's. My sister's desktop kinda stinks but thats because it's underpowered with a Celeron processor and 256 megs of RAM. So as long as you have some decent insides to your tablet pc, you're sure to be happy.

I also hear that the tc4200 seems to be a sturdy builded tablet pc. I was looking into it quite heavily before the M400 came out.

9. Havraha

Havraha Pen Pal - Newbie

Just looked up the tc4200. I'm unfamiliar with how the Sonoma processor works (how well at least), though the review I was reading said it lacked an optical drive and some "vital business ports". Nonetheless, if you have the base, I think that thing comes with an optical drive, usually. If not you can always buy an external optical drive. Just addin those suggestions, though they may be obvious. ;-)

10. Noahas

Noahas Pen Pal - Newbie

As infrequently as I use the CD/DVD drive, an external one is just fine for what I need. Thanks for the help, once I get it I will see what I can do about the S-video to VGA converter and then I SHOULD be all set.