2-in-1s workstations similar to Acer ConceptD 7 Ezel (specs-wise)?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Viktoria, Nov 16, 2020.

1. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

I am very curious to know how drawing in this setup feels, how stable it is, and if the latency would be noticeable to me compared to drawing on a cintiq or directly on the EMR screen of my HPZBook x2.

Have you ever filmed yourself using the tablet in this way with that laptop? I would love to see it in action. It sounds like a brilliant way to circumvent the price of a powerful convertible like the D7, and you get to have a nice fancy android tablet that can be used standalone as a bonus.

If this was useable to do serious full time work on in this setup, I'd be very keen to know more. Mostly just really dubious that the latency would be tolerable in my workflow (really fast painting with no patience for lag or unresponsiveness... Ntrig is absolutely a no go for me for instance) and also wonder if android updates or driver conflicts with windows updates would risk throwing it all out the window (more potential software bugs)

nyb72 likes this.
  2. Viktoria

Viktoria Pen Pal - Newbie

Oooh thank you, that is so good to know! (edit) though I haven't seen any with multiple buttons? If someone has any ERM device pens with two buttons in mind, I'd really appreciate it! Just to kind of map out my options before I decide. Because I've really gotten used to it, and I don't understand why the Ezel Pen and Wacom tablet pens have two but thicker ones don't...
    (edit 2) Hmm well I guess I could always just put grip helper on top of the pen, I actually did that for my current one too. So. Not a dealbreaker, but if there is a 2-button-one out there that's possible to get and is thicker, that would be epic - I just don't like not having a good alternative, tbh. Like the Ntrig market has so many pens to choose from, going from that to "stick with the included pen or only have one button" is just kind of... sad to me. I could certainly adapt to the workflow, but id prefer if i didn't have to.
    So technically the pens would also work on a galaxy tablet? Maybe that's something I'm going to put into the back of my head while I contemplate my decision further haha.

Thank you for the Lenovo suggestion! It does look pretty good (though why are all these pens so THINNN. who wants a nintendo stylus pff-)
    I haven't made my decision yet and it's probably going to be a while, anyway, since I want to make sure I have enough money buffer.

Haha, I hope I can eventually! I'm pretty new so I'll have to look into where and all that, but I'd love to ramble even more after the fact haha.
    Honestly for me it is also partly the "cool hardware" factor, it's just so unique and I want to try it because it's fancy and I've kind of crushed on it since I first saw it, as dumb as that sounds. And the Acer store does have a lower specs version with 2 TB right now, so I'm heavily considering that instead of the Pro version.

That is really cool though! I like that whole setup. And I get why you stick with it, I think once you got that figured out and "habit"ized it's really handy.
    And thank you for the encouraging words haha-

And thanks to everyone for all the helpful replies so far ^^!
    I'm going to sleep over this.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
  3. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

I would just get the pen of the HP Zbook X2 and see how it works with the 7 Ezel.

Naaah, who am I kidding? I would just get the Steadtler Noris Digital again and again, even if it doesn't have ANY button.
    Better pen ever made. :D

Anyway, there's currently three models of the ConceptD 7 Ezel available in Europe, or at least in Italy:
    -the €4000 beast with the RTX 2080 Super 8gb
    -the €3500 with a Quadro RTX 3000 6gb
    Both sold directly from the Acer online store, they came with 32gb of ram and 1tb ssd plus a 4 years warranty included until past week, now I don't know if there's still the added 2 years.
    -a €2760 model with the RTX 2070 8gb, only 16gb of ram and 1tb ssd.
    This one Acer send you on ePrice to get though.

By the way: stay away from the ConceptD 3, that's absolute crap with a Wacom AES pen.

4. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, I have that Lamy pen lol. It is a solid pen but it does miss a 2nd button or eraser.
    Also you might want to keep that Bamboo Ink pen since it supports AES and Microsoft devices (Wacom's Universal Pen Framework (UPF)). So it will not support EMR but does work with almost everything else from what I gather.

5. Montae Dean

Montae Dean Pen Pal - Newbie

As Starllcraft said earlier, the ConceptD 9 Pro's pen has 2 buttons AND a tail eraser. I likely didn't look into it because ConceptD 9 was waaaay out of my price range. It's apparently a full-size pen. I definitely would have bought that instead of the S4 pen if I knew.
    You can get it from here, though idk how reliable this site is: https://www.zandparts.com/en/acer-nc-23811-070
    I couldn't even find it in my country - a Canadian site was the closest bet for me, and the price was more than double. I've at least seen Zandparts before, but when it's the only option that shows how rare the item is I guess

Marty and daddyfish like this.
  6. starllcraft

starllcraft Pen Pal - Newbie

Wacom EMR pen screen edge cursor offset is related to the digitizer version.
    After 2017, the new version of 4096 pressure sensitive feel EMR technology generally uses screen non air gap technology, which generally solves the problem of cursor offset at the screen edge.
    In a good electromagnetic shielding device, almost no screen edge cursor offset can be felt.

nyb72 and daddyfish like this.
  7. nyb72

nyb72 Scribbler - Standard Member

There are a bunch of youtube videos that show SuperDisplay in action. In fact, Shogmaster posted one about two months ago that I think would exhibit exactly what you are looking for.

I don't think I would be a credible judge of lag since I don't tend to draw with fast/broad strokes nor am I doing much digital illustration. Nowadays, I'm really only using the tablet for texture mapping, photoshop touch ups, and character animation sprites. I tend to be more concerned about feel, which I love on the S-Pen. To put this in relative context comparison, I personally don't like the feel in N-Trig, AES, and Apple Pencil is a meh to me.

Yes, I do like this setup to circumvent things. In the end, I'm hoping more EMR laptops have better discrete GPUs in the future. But I have this pessimistic fear that Intel Xe graphics will prevent that from happening. The Ezel 7 looks amazing, but I have little motivation in spending >$2,500 for a laptop these days.

I've used this setup on a Tab 6 Lite and Galaxy Note 8. I'm seriously considering supplanting both with a Tab A P-205 as both my daily driver phone and something that reminds me of the VivoTab Note 8.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    stoneseeker likes this.
  8. Montae Dean

There are also decent Fujitsu pens with 2 buttons out there too. They seem to be a bit older though - and fujitsu's website is unwieldly...they're such a strange company. A focus on having every port imaginable while also being as light as possible. At CES last year they broke the record for lightest ultrabook, not that it's relevant here. Anyway's they're always so overpriced even for outdated hardware.

Okay I'm going on a tangent, sorry. If you're willing to trade a button for an eraser, the Acer Chromebook stylus is an option to consider: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NP.STY1A.010

9. Montae Dean

While I'm sure at a technical standpoint Apple Pencil is the best, I just can't rely on the wide pen tip for precise lines. Yeah the pen itself is precise, but with a tip that wide I may as well be drawing on a screen with a mm of parallax. If I were someone who preferred pastels over ink then I'm sure I'd use an ipad, but I know what mt prefernces are

10. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

, and the Apple Pencil does not even have a select/eraser button does it?

, good igpu graphics only help since it will create competition with lower end Nvidia's MX series (to prevent that a >2 year newer MX card is just a refresh, looking at you MX250). And an EMR laptop with a good dgpu (Nvidia 1650 or better) is very rare even before Xe (heck even for Ntrig pen supported laptops this was rare up to recently, with Surface Book line still being king).