2 in 1/detachable or convertible for use with lightroom - tight budget

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by schnozzles, Sep 15, 2017.

1. schnozzles

schnozzles Pen Pal - Newbie

1. What is your budget? <£800

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished? yes

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible? As long as I can run the full version of Lightroom CC, and it has USB 3 and takes an SD card, I don't mind

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • between 12 and 15 inches - ideally no bigger than 14

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]? UK

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes? Not really

7. How many hours battery life do you require? 4-5, realistically

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc) General day to day surfing, editing photos in RAW format in Lightroom & possibly PS, casual gaming including probably PlayStation Remote

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently? Windows 10 for Lightroom support

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc) Office, Lightroom, Photoshop, Playstation Remote

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list. Probably just the odd casual game or connecting to my PS4

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system? no but must have bluetooth to connect to speakers

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution? not as long as it's good for photos

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Probably not

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    See the above linked FAQ for guidance
    Yes, with pressure sensitivity as I'd like to use it for artwork

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory? HDD size less important as I store data externally, memory 8Gb plus and exapandable would be nice. Prefer hybrid or SSD drive for speed

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs? Full size SD would be good as that's what my camera uses but if I can get converters/readers with no loss of speed then I'll settle for must have at least 1 x USB 3 for my external drive - unless you folks have a better suggestion!

Misc
    1. Other non specific items ~ please add other items you require not covered above?

2. Additional requests ~ anything other you wish to take into consideration?

2. the_whiterabbit

the_whiterabbit Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm not too familiar with UK stores and pricing, but you could probably get a Surface Pro 4 refurbished/used (ideally with warranty/Microsoft Complete remaining if you go used) with an i5, 8 GB RAM and 256 GB SSD right at the top of your price range, which really seems like it would be just about perfect for your uses.

Failing that, I'm betting a non-refurbished Surface 4 m3 would be available in your price range--though it would definitely be less idea, especially since it only has 4gb of RAM.

Good luck!

3. convergent

convergent Scribbler - Standard Member

I would not go with anything less than an i5 w/8G RAM. Agree with @the_whiterabbit that a refurb Surface Pro 4 is a good option. Also, look at the Acer Switch Alpha 12... you may even be able to get a refurb i7 in that price range. I have not had any hands on time with the Acer, but they got pretty good reviews and seemed to run about 40-50% less than the Surface Pro, prior to the Surface Pro 4 dropping after the new one came out.

4. schnozzles

schnozzles Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all

My budget has just jumped a bit to around the £1000 mark and there seems to be a lot more choice on the market - any more ideas?