1st Gen TM2, did you update to Windows 8.1 ?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Genjinaro, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malangyar

Malangyar Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks A30N! I'm doing a clean install right now following your tips. Btw I'm going to create a new thread to collect all our info on getting Windows 8.1 to work on the 1st gen tm2. Currently all the useful info is spread out in numerous threads, I think it would be very useful if we could collect it all into one unified optimal Windows 8.1 installation guide. ;)

EDIT: Done, check it out: http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/hp-...stallation-guide-latest-drivers-software.html

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Malangyar

Having a problem. Did a clean install and followed your post #13 and #20. However when I reach the middle of the ATI setup, the screen flickers a few times and then turns black. Then the laptop resets and gives me the message "Your PC ran into a problem - This problem caused your PC to restart yadda yadda yadda" when I get back into Windows 8.1. The graphics drivers are not installed.

Any tips?

EDIT: Okay I tried again, did another clean install but this time I turned off Windows Update completely. Not sure if that was the problem, but the installation worked ;)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  3. A30N

A30N Technologist

So the multi touch issue is related to the graphics driver. I too did another clean installation, and installed all drivers except the catalyst hybrid drivers. Windows detects a two-point touchscreen, and you can swipe from the right to get to the charms menu normally. I am going to make an image of my hard drive and then look into alternative graphics drivers.

Malangyar likes this.
  4. Malangyar

Great work. Few questions; 1. What software do you use to make the hard drive image? 2. Did you install the Intel chipset drivers? Do you think it's necessary?

Good luck on the alternative graphics drivers btw. I think jonpet has all but burned himself out trying to get the 12.4 beta drivers to work.

5. A30N

A30N Technologist

I use Acronis True Image. If you have a Western Digital Seagate hard drive, you can download a basic version for free from their websites. I find it strange disk imaging was a feature in Windows 7 that has been removed in Windows 8. Oh well.

I installed the following drivers in this order:

Intel Chipset (from HP)
    Intel Matrix Storage (from HP)
    Wacom Digitizer (latest from Wacom)
    IDT Audio (from HP)
    Synaptics Touchpad (from HP)
    Realtek Card Reader (From HP)
    Qualcomm Mobile Broadband (from HP)
    Quicklaunch Buttons (from HP)
    Accelerometer (from HP)

ATI/Intel hybrid graphics (not installed yet)

6. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

seems ati and ccc had several problems after 8.1, just google it.

I have 3 images to play with,
    1. after 8.1 upgrade
    2.8.1 with old hp drivers working
    3.8.1 with hp drivers and 12.4 beta installed over it, same procedure as on win 8. This one have error with ccc, it will not launch.

I have been playing with the 13.1 legacy drivers, but grey screen.

But display uninstaller + driver fusion in normal and safe mode seems to work for testing.

so far not found a good slution.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    Malangyar likes this.
  7. A30N

A30N Technologist

After messing around with the video drivers for a few hours, I've narrowed it down to an issue with the Intel part of the driver. If I install just the ATI part, whether it's the HP version or the latest AMD version, multi touch seems to work just fine. Will do more testing tomorrow, I'm going to bed now.

Malangyar likes this.
  8. paulbee

paulbee Pen Pal - Newbie

How do you go about installing just the ATI drivers? I'm trying to run my TM2 as an under-counter media center; I don't need switchable graphics because it's plugged in all the time. What I do need are ATI drivers (the software for my external Blu-ray drive won't work with the Intel graphics) that are WHQL-certified (so Windows 8-native video apps like Netflix will run). The Win7 HP drivers don't fit the bill, but it seems as though if I could get recent AMD drivers installed without any Intel drivers, I'd be set.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Malangyar

Anyone have any idea what this device is?

unknown.jpg

Seems like I've tried every driver in the book...

EDIT: Found it, turned out to be HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  10. Malangyar

A30N, when you say Accelerometer, do you mean you installed the software from this thread, or are you referring to the HP mobile protection/HP protectsmart drivers?

'cause I just tried installing HP protectsmart (latest version), Visual C++ 2010 x64 and CompuGeek's software, but the screen rotation worked very sporadically.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.