1st Gen TM2, did you update to Windows 8.1 ?

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by Genjinaro, Jul 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malangyar

Malangyar Pen Pal - Newbie

Can you switch manually? How's stability?

2. jonpet

jonpet Scribbler - Standard Member

No, I could not get ccc to install. Going to make another image and then restore to the one I made with the old hp catalyst working. Then try again.

Now the 12.4 beta drivers work and it switches to Intel on battery, but no catalyst center.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

3. A30N

A30N Technologist

Guys, it is required that you do a clean install of Windows 8.1, not an upgrade. After it is installed, do the following:

1. Go to "Control Panel", then "Programs and Features", and finally on the left, click on "Turn Windows features on or off".

2. Mark ".NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)" and click "OK". Let it install and restart your computer. Restart again for good measure.

3. Using 7zip or Winzip, extract the HP graphics driver (for me its sp50254.exe). Remember, don't launch it, extract it!

4. Inside the extracted folder, you will see "Setup.exe" with a little ATI icon. Right-click on this file, and select "Properties"

5. A window called "Setup.exe Properties" opens up. Click on the "Compatibility" tab. Mark the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:". From the options, select "Windows 7".

6. Now mark the box at the bottom, "Run this program as an administrator". Click "Apply" at the bottom and then click "OK" to close the dialog box.

7. you can now double-click on "Setup.exe" and install the graphics drivers. After they are through installing, restart your computer, and you are done!

4. Malangyar

Oh man, I can't believe you need to do a clean install, urgh...does CCC and graphics switching work, A30N?

5. Malangyar

Okay the weirdest thing just happened:

1. I had my laptop on and plugged in, in windows 8.1 desktop.
    2. Went to the post office.
    3. When I came back, it was suddenly out of windows with the message that it couldn't detect a "boot device". My initial thought was that probably the SSD had bought it, but when I restarted, it tried to load windows, but couldn't.
    4. Gave me an option to try and "repair" windows. Accepted, but still didn't work.
    5. Tried system restore, worked, back inside windows 8.1.
    6. However, graphics drivers have been reverted to the state I initially described in post #9.
    So...after this whole episode I'm going to try A30N's guide and pray to god I can just get a somewhat stable laptop...now how the hell do I do a clean install of Windows 8.1? :D

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  6. jonpet

Well I got those beta 12.4 working installed over the old hp ones. But can't get ccc to install. I switches fine, but no manual mode.

Very time consuming image after image trying new things. But driver fusion in safe and normal mode should be enough

7. Malangyar

Well, the issue above leaves me in doubt. Maybe there are still some driver remnants left in my system, regardless of me using driver fusion.

I'll try to do a clean windows 8.1 install, use A30N's guide and then install the beta drivers as you suggest. Btw should you install the 12.4 beta drivers in windows 7 compat mode or not?

8. jonpet

I did comp mode when I tried. I tried to only install 12.4 drivers and hdmi audio, keeping the old ccc. The old ccc works but you can not adjust any setting including switching.

9. Malangyar

Tried installing without comp mode. When I restarted I got another black screen. Did another restart and suddenly it booted up. Graphic drivers seem to have been installed, however this is the situation in device manager:

[​IMG]

If it isn't one, it's the other :D

10. A30N

A30N Technologist

Yes! No issues in the last week.

FYI, I'm an A+ certified technician who repairs about a dozen computers a week. In all my experiences, a computer always runs faster, more stable, and with less issues when a clean installation of vanilla Windows is installed. In fact, in most cases, I can demonstrate significant improvements to boot speed and system responsiveness by wiping out the factory-installed Windows and installing a retail version instead.

When you get to the "Settings" part of setup, make sure to turn off "Automatically get device drivers, apps, and info for new devices". Windows downloads a bunch of drivers and installs them automatically, but they are not compatible with our complex & unique TM2's hardware.

Edit: After installing the Catalyst drivers, multitouch appears to be broken. You can still use your finger on the screen, but it only works as a single point of touch. I'm working on a solution but it could be awhile.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
    Malangyar likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.