$191 64gb Vivotab Note 8, get going!

Discussion in 'Asus' started by spinedoc77, Jul 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jb82

jb82 Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news....

"Dear J,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Service.
    My name is Ellie and it is my pleasure to help you with your problem.

For the question, according to your SN, your laptop doesn't support international warranty. "

2. snoxu

snoxu Pen Pal - Newbie

I'll have to look elsewhere then. Thanks for emailing them. Seriouly thanks for the help.

3. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

just got my 32gb from staples. its a 2014.04 unit

applied windows update, new wacom driver. Edges still not very accurate, but somewhat loveable given there are no alternatives.

fingers crossed...

4. stegg

stegg Pen Pal - Newbie

damn you people :D I just saw this thread and couldn't spare me to purchase the 64gb model for 229 us$ (that's 240 euro including shipping&customs to italy in 3 days)!

i have not very clear what are pen issues: i just saw videos of border drawing not accurate, but i can live with that. anything else?

i'm coming from a samsung note 2014 and fed up with Snote lags!

5. jb82

I don't think there are any real issues with the digitizer when it works and stays working. There are some issues with the edges but it isn't too bad after the latest wacom driver update. There has just been a significant number of failed digitizers (where the pen just completely stops working permanently) in the past requiring replacement via warranty return.

I have not noticed any lag with mine so you should be pleased.

Just be aware that there is no international warranty with these - at least there isn't with mine (see last few posts)

Woohoo 100th post - hope this helps!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
    stegg and Bronsky like this.
  6. stegg

stegg Pen Pal - Newbie

just received.
    build date 2014/5.
    everything's GOOD and i hope i will prevent myself to update everything :D

7. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

64GB from staples or Amazon? Trying to track down who has the latest build date

8. stegg

stegg Pen Pal - Newbie

amazon.
    moreover it arrived in italy 36 hours after the payment. i'm amazed.
    sorry for the advertisement but if you'd live in italy you'd understand how unbelievable is receiving a shipment and customs clearance in such a short time

9. jb82

My digitizer has died already. Jan 14 build from amazon.
    Hopefully I'll get a later build with the replacement from amazon.

I hope the next one works out as I am loving this device otherwise. I have a shiny surface pro 3 that I was going to try out but it is just sitting on my desk at the moment. I guess the vivotab wanted to give the surface pro a shot.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
    Bronsky and Mesosphere like this.
  10. Jackyhk

Jackyhk Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting... because I would like to know what Ellie had been smoking while typing that e-mail. I also had the same dilemma and e-mailed them. Due to the disclaimer in the e-mail, I am not gonna copy and paste it here, but in generally I asked 3 very basic but important questions

1) Can I receive free international warranty?
    2) The tablet is not being sold in the country I will be using this at, so will the technicians be able to fetch the required part and have the skills to fix them?
    3) If the local service center does not have the parts required for repairing (since we all know pen fail due to hardware problem), will they be able to ship the required parts

And, according to a very helpful Lily, this is the answer I got:

1) yes, free international warranty in said country
    2) They will be able to fix it for you, but its uncertain if they will have the parts
    3) If they don't have the necessary parts, Asus will ship them to your local Asus center.

So yeah. Unless Lily and Ellie were talking about different tablets, one of them must have been seriously high when replying the e-mails. Not that I would encourage anybody to go ahead and grab that likely to fail tablet, but this e-mail was reassuring enough for me to throw that money into the roulette.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.