17 Inch 2-in-1 Inspiron 17 7000

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kneehowguys, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oh dear... I have cornered myself into a position where I might have to actually have good thoughts about a Monster product... LOL

2. Fluffyfurball

Fluffyfurball Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm thinking about picking up one of these for inking mainly in OneNote. Just a question though: I don't know if I'm still in the stone-age but how do you guys manage all of your data with the teensy drives in these computers?! In the good old days my old Fujitsu T5010 (it died this week) had an extra drive bay for storage. Do you guys walk around with external drives, or something? Thnx!

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Save to Dropbox or OneDrive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I don't know how much data you work with, but I find I get by with a 16Gb USB stick for transferring stuff between my tablet and my desktop machine. (I like the SanDisk Extreme sticks; they come with their own SSD controller chips built in; they're as fast as a good external drive and so far no failures!)

I also have an external portable drive which I sometimes carry with me.

5. Fluffyfurball

Oh okay, thanks. Yeah, I have those cloud accounts and they work great for documents and OneNote but not so great when there's no Internet or big files involved. The cloud services also corrupted a database once so I've been warned not to use them to store or sync those.

Thanks, thatscomicsguy: I might have to go with an external as you say.

6. Shogmaster

Fluffy, this thing is waaay too big for inking purposes. I don't know why you wouldn't pick up something like Miix 700 with top end configuration which is going for $800 at costco.com

7. Fluffyfurball

Lol! You think so, huh? Thanks so much, I will look at the Lenovo (never really looked at their stuff). I had the Surface Pro 3 but that went to my sister. I prefer a laptop form factor anyway. It's the pdfs though: bigger screens really help.

Thanks for the help. Sorry to derail the thread.

8. Shogmaster

Actually, if you want something in laptop form factor and very light, get the Lenovo Yoga 900S (the "S" is very important since normal 900 does not work with a pen) and tell us how it is. Take one for the team! :D

Fluffyfurball and JoeS like this.
  9. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Wow. The Q&A section of the Lenovo Yoga 900s site actually has several questions answered by the sales support staff regarding the stylus.

One of them was curious:

~~~~~~~~~~
    It's not clear: could you confirm if the yoga 900s is or is not compliant with active pen ? If yes, where and when could I buy it ? Alain

alainbron
    · 3 days ago

First problem, the pen is not delivery in Switzerland from this link. 2nd, problem, de delivery time is 4-5 weeks. Last problem: the swiss Lenovo sail support write me "Since there were several problems with our pens, the Lenovo Yoga 900s doesn't provide the pen technology any longer. If or when they can support them again isn't time to tell for now"
    ~~~~~~~~

This sounds a lot like Dell's weird lack of support of the feature.

Maybe they see the various minor issues with it and said, "Let's just pretend it's not part of the machine when we sell it, and that way we haven't made any promises we need to keep".

Fluffyfurball likes this.
  10. Shogmaster

Wha?!? That is cray cray...