17 Inch 2-in-1 Inspiron 17 7000

Discussion in 'Dell' started by kneehowguys, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Azzart

Azzart Late night illustrator Senior Member

If it's any help, even the Asus PT201Q with its technology similar to wacom active stylus gives me these kind of stray marks where the hand rests from time to time.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Just switched mine now to TabletPC mode. -I'm not sure what this means exactly, but I'll see what it's like this evening after drawing for a while.

I don't have any rings or anything.

Cheers!

3. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

TabletPC mode uses Windows Ink or RealTimeStylus for pen pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've tried both Wintab and Tablet PC mode. I don't wear a ring.

This is clearly electric noise issue as I have shown through using different power outlets. Lots of things plugged into the surge protector = consistent and frequent palm rejection errors. Also only happens when part of my hand is touching down as I'm making marks. When I hover my hand, no errors.

5. Shogmaster

To be clear, this is not unique to Dell's AES implementation. I've seen this to a lesser degree on BB460. But it happens so rarely, I didn't make a big deal of it.

i don't remember Miix 700 doing this to me, even when plugged in.

I think it has a lot to do with size of the screen and shielding in the laptop:
    Miix = 12" and jam packed innards. Nice metal chassis = no occurance.

BB460 = 14" and jam packed innards with lots of shielding = very rare occurance.

Inspiron 15 7568 = 15.6" and practically empty inside with very little shielding = lots of errors.

P.S. Also, I've seen similar errors on iPad Pro's early demo software (see one of my Youtube videos). Good thing is that, I haven't seen it since that early demo version so it may be something that can be fixed via software. It just may be that Wacom's current Wintab driver sucks at AES palm rejection on big screens.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  6. Shogmaster

I found a simple solution! LOL, you guys enjoy this video. ^_^

7. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Cool.

-And actually, back when I did all my work on bristol board, I'd use something like that to keep my gross sweaty mitts from smudging the pencils and inks. -Especially in the Summer months when it was too hot to hope for sweat-free hands.

I used a piece of heavy paper with some textured plastic taped to the back to help it slide. Worked great. I've not used anything like that in a few years now, but I may need to revisit the idea.

It's not so bad most of the time, but last night was annoying. More static in the air or something...

8. surfaceproartist

So I spent the whole morning drawing in CSP on the Inspiron with the Wacom Bamboo Smart, on a 10x15 canvas at 600 dpi in portrait mode, careful to rest my hand and forearm as often as I could (it's not practical to remain in that position 100% of the time if you're not drawing in the upper left quadrant of the screen). Running in TabletPC mode, I never experienced a single stray mark.

I'm tempted to say that you have a defective laptop and/or pen, but here's one more thing to confirm: under Preferences, Modifier Keys Settings, Single Swipe. Is it set to Hand? This disables touch input.

Despite that setting, you can still toggle finger painting on and off with the second button from the left on the Command Bar.

Also, do you experience this issue when folded over entirely into tablet mode or only when the keyboard and display are laying flat?

9. Shogmaster

LOL, it happens even better in Tablet mode with keyboard underneath.

Were you plugged in when you were testing? It only happens to mine if I'm plugged into my crowded surge protector. This is why I know it's electrical noise issue.

Perhaps your power source is much cleaner than mine. I don't know. Maybe the problem is me! I might have X-Men like electro-static interference powers...

10. surfaceproartist

I do have a Monster power surge protector that claims to clean power. Always assumed it was BS. But in any event LA has really dirty power. Fried many PSUs over the years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk