15W, quad core solutions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RT545, Mar 11, 2020.

1. RT545

RT545 Scribbler - Standard Member

With the arrival of ice lake for INTEL and zen2 for AMD, it would be nice to have a list of the different devices released that will have a 15W TDP (max), quad core (min) CPU.

Please feel free to post here any device that you have in mind, as they are announced, that is a windows 10 tablet or convertible in which there is a 15W TDP cpu (fanless of course) that is at least quad core,

starting with the surface pro 7

(http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/surface-pro-7-discussion-thread-october-2019.75235/)

and the HP spectre X360

(http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/threads/13-spectre-on-ice.75231/)

2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

This isn't a confirmed release, but Eve is currently running a poll to choose between active vs. passive cooling on their upcoming V refresh.

If they end up choosing active cooling, I think a Zen2 CPU could be in the cards.

Given that they went with a i7-7Y75 in the previous high-end config, I think a 4300U would be under consideration, but hopefully a 4600U (or that sweet, sweet 4800U if the community votes for it ;)).

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...Eve is currently running a poll to choose between active vs. passive cooling on their upcoming V refresh...>>

Seems to me they left a few important considerations out:
    1. The thermal mass required for satisfactory passive cooling may result in a heatsink that is large enough itself to be both sizeable and heavy
    2. The conducted and radiated heat from this heatsink may result in surface temperatures on the case that are objectionable
    3. A passive heat sink may result in undesirable heating of the batteries, shortening their operating life
    4. Vents in the case may still be desirable to provide better design optimization of a passive cooling approach...

4. Marty

Ok, ok, I know this isn't 15W part, but man oh man, is anyone else salivating at the thought of a VAIO Z Canvas with this processor inside?

Considering how well they tuned the 47W i7-4770HQ, imagine what they could do with the 4900HS! Side anecdote: I often find myself choosing my Z Canvas over my SFF desktop, because the ZC actually has better thermal consistency under load, it's so damn, well-cooled. :)

Sigh, VAIOOOO please make the ZC successor! For the sake of all tablet lovers...you were the chosen one!

RT545 likes this.
  5. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

No worries for ultrabook users because the Ryzen 9 4900U should have you covered. Lenovo leaked it inadvertently on their website some time back. Hopefully, the 4900u will be even better than the already compelling 15-watt, 4.2 GHz boost, 8-core, 16-thread Ryzen 7 4800U!

RT545 likes this.
  6. RT545

And if this is not sufficient, maybe you will get 5nm ryzen as soon as 2021, as AMD has already booked TSMC production lines:

https://wccftech.com/amd-zen-4-5-nm-launching-2021/

Maybe you will get next gen version of 4900HS for 15W by then...:)

sonichedgehog360 likes this.
  7. Marty

I know this is probably wrong to say...but once you have tried full desktop power in tablet form, you can't go back!

So while my logical brain tells me that the 4800/4900U is more than enough and a 5nm die shrink sounds amazing!...my animal brain still wants to behold the full 40W threshold in a solid slab of power. :)

"Once you have tasted the taste of sky, you will forever look up..." —Leonardo da Vinci

(Help! :vbeek:)

RT545 and sonichedgehog360 like this.
  8. RT545

… And if it's cold in winter, you can still use your device as a radiator… I understand :)

By the way, with coronavirus, satellite images show that there is less CO2 pollution right now. So let's continue to reduce global warming, shall we? ;)

Steve S and Marty like this.
  9. Marty

Eve just launched another poll on the industrial design direction of their Eve V refresh.

They have 3 interesting options:

"Powerhouse" (SSD hatch)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Workhorse" (screw-assembled screen panel)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Better up" (screw-assembled back panels)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Nice renders, but the troubling part is...they don't seem to show any air vents (those are just dissipation ridges behind the kickstand), which sort of precludes it from being either a 'Powerhouse' or 'Workhorse'. :confused:

I've put in a plea for them to consider designing for the new Ryzen 4000 chips, and basing their active-cooling system on VAIO's design.

If they go passive it will such a tragedy, let's hope they don't put aesthetics above performance at this crucial stage.

10. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

Well, just to tempt you more, rumor is now verified fact. The Ryzen 9 4900U was not a typo on Lenovo's site. It's real per this benchmark result:

[​IMG]

Source:
    https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-R...rst-appearance-on-UserBenchmark.459954.0.html

Marty likes this.