$150 N3350 11" Chromebook with EMR? OK. I'll TOFTT...

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Shogmaster, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

So the HP Chromebook x360 11 g1 is a terrible looking giant bezel Chromebook for education market that has the Wacom EMR pen as the only redeeming factor (and the 8GB of RAM). But HP started out charging $500ish for these so HAHAHAHAHA no is what most people said rightly. But now, Amazon Refurb program has these bad boys for $150 out the door! And last Chrome OS update for this device will be in June of 2024, a good 3 years out!

So I ordered one. It should be here by end of the week. I'm not sure if the Android version running under Chrome OS is at least 9.0, but if it is, I'm installing Android CSP on it as usual. I'm expecting performance on par with Tab S6 Lite, which would be more than fine. Can't wait to find out!

Along with that Dell Chromebook 7486, these educational Chromebooks are turning out to be a real boon for my EMR obsession!

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Touchscre...p+chromebook+x360+11+g1&qid=1624891055&sr=8-3

darkmagistric and Marty like this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

Looks like it's down to $129 now.

3. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Are you sure that model has the pen? The Amazon page lists nothing about, and it could be possible they made variations without the pen.

Not for Art reasons, but I was somewhat contemplating a Chrome Book purchase. One major benefit Chrome Books have over Android is the ability to run Linux Apps, and I was looking for a low-cost backup solution for a device that could run VS code without any convoluted server hacks. This looks almost perfect for that purpose.

jedah likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

No sir, i am NOT 100% sure. That's why it's TOFTT purchase. But it's an Amazon renewed so low risk with easy return.

5. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Couple questions - does CSP still come as a subscription only purchase for Android and how many installs are you allowed if you have CSP for Android?

Pretty sure it is the EMR chromebook, the G1 is listed in the UK with EMR stylus. Your alternative could be the Lenovo 500e - that definitely has the EMR pen but could be more expensive in the refurb program.

6. Shogmaster

CSP is sub only for iPad OS and Android. But IIRC there is 3 month free trial.

As for alternatives, the only reason I bought this was the ridiculously low price. I have zero desire to buy anything with Celeron CPU for over $200. I'd rather turn my Helix 2nd gen I have lying around into Chrome OS device by Linux hack or Neverware process. And Helix 2nd gen has much more powerful 5Y71 Core M (which chokes in Windows 10's CSP but I suspect will be more than fine with Android CSP?)

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  7. Shogmaster

Yep. Too good to be true. No EMR. They made 2 versions: for for education with EMR (EE at the end of the name), and the consumer version without EMR. Going back to Amazon.

Marty likes this.
  8. doobiedoobiedum

Finally a little portable chromebook with Wacom EMR at US style prices... £179 or $249 (which is still too much for a chrome device without a keyboard) If I could live with 10 inches - it would be a nice little sketchbook.

[​IMG]

https://www.johnlewis.com/acer-chro...7-inch-qxga-touch-screen-indigo-blue/p5367588

Cheaper new and boxed than you'll get pre-used & unboxed on Ebay but I'm not going to regret passing on this like I regretted passing on the Samsung GB12's when another retailer was selling them of very cheaply.

bloodycape likes this.
  9. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

If I remember correctly those Acers were for the education market only on the US & the ARM cpu was a bit lacking?

doobiedoobiedum likes this.
  10. doobiedoobiedum

Yes, they were designed for education - plastic, easily changed back panel and most kids wouldn't be doing much heavy graphic work with one so it didn't need a powerful CPU.

I was tempted at first, my zbook is not a light, "out and about" sketching tablet and this Acer is still far too expensive for what it offers so my hunt continues.