14inch Convertible w/LED, SSD, Penryn?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by yuphehe, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'll take more pixels over more inches every time. More pixels mean documents are that much sharper and easier to read. Are books hard to read even though the text is small? No, of course not, and that's because the text is sharp. If you want the sharpest text at any size, you need to go for the greatest number of pixels. Now if there were a nice lightweight SXGA+ 14" tablet, I might consider it, but since it's already available in a smaller package that's easier to carry around and easily manipulate one-handed to show things to my peers, it looks like I'll be sticking with 12" screens unless someone pulls off a 14" tablet that can't be matched by a 12".

2. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Actually yes, books with smaller print are harder to read than books with larger print :p Obviously not as much if you have perfect vision, but still, they are harder to read. That's why they make those big-letter books for the vision impaired. Heck, I know someone that has like a 30" screen for his computer just to read e-mails with huge font because his eyes are that bad (even with glasses).

Also, for the same "actual size" of the font on a 12" and 14" screen, you could then have even more words on the 14" screen.

With that said, I do think 12" screens, especially for a tablet, is pretty ideal in size for the weight tradeoff, and ease of holding.

3. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

smaller screens are great if you have a better resolution. Lacking that, there is no difference. That's why the SXGA are generally used in alot of the smaller tablets.

4. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean. Resolution is independent of screen size. A smaller screen with XGA resolution will have smaller pixels than a larger screen with XGA, since they still need to get 1024x768 pixels into the smaller space. SXGA would confer the same benefit to whatever screen size it is applied to.

The only thing I think you might be saying is that a 5"x5" (real size) image on a smaller screen will look better than that same 5"x5" (real size) image on a larger screen. Again, this would be because the smaller screen has smaller pixels, so on an inch by inch basis the resolution would be "better" (though for the entire screen size the resoultion is the same).

5. yuphehe

yuphehe Pen Pal - Newbie

just buy the gteway when penryn comes out, and install your own SSD drve.