14inch Convertible w/LED, SSD, Penryn?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by yuphehe, Feb 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jon44

Jon44 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm looking to replace my 15 inch desktop replacement and after trying a few different computers, realize I can't go much below a 14 inch screen and still be happy (maybe 13 inch widescreen if all else is good.)

So my ideal computer would be a convertible 14 inch widescreen with penyrn processor, LED backlit screen, dual touch, and solid state drive of at least 60 gigs. Price below $3,000 or so....

I don't think this exists now, so maybe the question is does anyone have a guess as to when something with these spec's would be available?

Thanks in advance,

Jon

2. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

doesn't exist, and the way companies are to a larger tablet, probably be some time before you see it.

3. powowcow

powowcow Tablet PC Lover

Why would you want a 14" screen on a tablet? That kind of defeats the purpose of the tablet. I went from a 17" widescreen lappy to a 12.1" widescreen tablet and I couldn't be happier. You're aiming to high. Come back down to earth and look at what's available and coming out soon. When it comes to tablets, it's 12" or bust.

4. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I beg to differ. There are plenty of folks who want the 14". Myself included. Weight isn't an issue for me.

You confuse tablets with having to be small and light. While any laptop should be mobile, the capabilities of what it can do is key.

5. mic43

mic43 Scribbler - Standard Member

Considering gateway is the only one making 14in tablets and that tablet is relatively cheap (SSD is very expensive), Penrynn will be long outdated before such a tablet exists (SSD gets cheaper or other manufacturers start making 14in tablets). Thus, I think its most reasonable that such a tablet will never exist.

6. Jon44

Jon44 Pen Pal - Newbie

Sounds like advice to consider.

I'm really concerned that I'll eventually find 12 inches to be hard on the eyes for mobile applications (I have a 17 inch monitor for home use). Not sure what to do, other than borrow a 12 inch laptop for a longer period of time to try it out.

Jon

7. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

I have a 24" Dell monitor for my desk. Trying to use my Sony Vaio's 12" screen was really hard but it was so light that it made up for it in some ways. However, when it got to stressful meetings where numbers on a spreadsheet were always off screen, it was a serious pain. I can't attest to how a convertible 12" would be to write on, but I can for the 14" Gateway. When in portrait mode, some of the desktop writing surface is still off screen and that's annoying. However, in landscape mode, my spreadsheets are much easier to read.

The weight of the Gateway is significant though, so don't underestimate it! If you need to walk around and write or hold it at an angle while sitting, it is quite heavy and will wear your arms down. However, I use it flat on the desk and find it to be a great writing surface with a nice bright screen and easy to read text. My 12" Sony, not so easy to read with my 48 y/o eyes. When I bought it at 43 y/o, I was OK with it, but not now.

The Gateway C-141XL should be out on the 31'st according to the rep I talked to yesterday. That will have the T8300 Penryn and I think he said 250GB HD. So atleast 3 of your wants would be realized. I believe there are some other brands that are 12" that do have LED, dual touch and some will come with Penryn soon. The Lenovo just announced Penryn and do have dual touch models.

No models have everything you want though, so you should prioritize your list and look around.

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ok, the Gateway, 14" display, uses WXGA, as far as I know. All other widescreen 12" tablets use WXGA, too. So you have the same usable desktop size, the Gatway has larger fonts, the 12" widescreen displays smaller fonts, but still big.

There are also 12" tablets available which offer SXGA+. You will have a much smaller font, but a much higher resolution and so you have a much larger usable desktop size on these 12" SXGA+ displays, but it may get hard to read the fonts over a long time.

9. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

Just my $.02

I was one of those "I can't have anything less than a 14" screen" people, but then realized that the companies were moving away from the larger screens for tablets, mainly because most people using tablets want the lighter, smaller form factor. I finally gave up on waiting for a larger screen and bought the x61t, and to be honest, unless I have 2 laptops side by side that are 14" and 12" I can't even tell the difference. I moved to this from a 15" laptop, and again, unless they are side by side, I barely noticed that I'm using a smaller screen now.

Some more things to note:
    a 12" 4:3 aspect ratio (like on the x61t) will actually have the same height dimension as a 14" widescreen (which is all they seem to produce for 14" tablets for the past few years). You'll obviously get about an inch more width with a 14" widescreen, but you have to decide if that slight increase in screen size is worth an extra couple of pounds, especially for something you potentially will be holding a lot.

Also note that 14" doesn't necessarily give you much more screen real estate, since from what I recall the screens are all WXGA. A 12" SXGA screen would actualy allow you to fit more onto it, albeit everything will be pretty small.

Also think about the aspect ratio of 4:3 (standard) vs 16:9 (widescreen), in that a 4:3 dimension is MUCH more like a piece of letter sized paper when held in portrait mode, and in my experience, holding a widescreen tablet in portrait mode makes the screen feel too narrow. If you are used to A10 paper, then maybe widescreen better approximates that, I dunno.

My experience with the x61t with XGA resolution is that it is fine for pretty much everything except for 2 things:
    -programs with big toolbars (take up correspondingly more screen space on XGA than SXGA...something that won't be fixed with WXGA)
    -very large spreadsheets (though I've gotten used to scrolling. Obvious a 14" WXGA will give you a few more columns in width, but again the height will be the same (or virtually the same...depends if the WXGA is 1280x768 or 1280x800

All that being said: I could probably have handled the extra weight of a larger tablet, and I really would have liked the extra "power" of a bigger tablet with dedicated graphics, etc., but in my actual usage a 12" XGA screen has been perfectly fine.

10. Grimnir

Grimnir Think tank & Designer Senior Member

I'd want a 14" screen too, if I could. :D