14" Vista Tablet with Wacom?

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Edwood, Mar 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Is this beast even in existance? Or did Toshiba kill off any hope for it appearing anytime soon by cancelling R20 and M7 lines instead of updating them?

I am looking for something that would meet those criteria, so that I could get it by early May. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

2. thundermax

thundermax Pen Pal - Newbie

I called Toshiba about this and they have no plans to ever sell 14" tablets again.

So I bought a refurbed R25 from what now appears to be a shady dealer :(

3. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, the hope is someone else is making them. But I guess Gateway (and finepoint) is the only remaining 14" option...

4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Gateway could clean up if they went with Wacom and maybe raised only like $50 to compensate.

5. chinesefireball121

chinesefireball121 Scribbler - Standard Member

Well there is still the ASUS R1f which is 13"3 which isn't too far off 14"

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I'd be all over the R1F if it had a bezel free LCD casing like Fujitsu and Toshiba TPCs. TAKE NOTE ASUS!!

7. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Agree..... having a bezel edge doesn't help at all when drawing fluently across the screen.

8. The Niles

The Niles Scribbler - Standard Member

I have little to no problems with the bezel. The edge is not as useful in any case given the limitations of the Wacom technology. I can barely write t=near the edge.

9. russki

russki Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, first of all, thanks for all the responses (and Shogmaster - wouldn't that be nice if Gateway reverted to Wacom. Something tells me no, though).

Here's the biggest problem I see with Asus - it's not configurable. So I can't get 2 GB memory without upgrading manually, I get a slow HD, etc. Plus, my gf who will primarily use it, really wants it to function as the home laptop, too, and thus would like the larger size. She's seen 13.3 and 14.1 side by side and is leaning toward the larger screen.

Now, she's not an artist though, so the question is, will Gateway do? (or are all pens total crap and make it unusable - not a good scenario for a $2K piece of equipment)

10. JDragon

JDragon Pen Pal - Newbie

russki

I am in no way an expert as this will be my first tablet, but I have a Gateway CX210s on the way. (Shipped today)

I do not plan on using mine for art where the pressure sensitivity will matter. Which is the main issue most people seem to have with the Finepoint from what I have read.

I will be posting at a minium a mini-review with in a week or so after I get it in the Gateway section.

If you would like me to send you info specificly just drop me a PM and I'll do that as soon as I can.

JD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.