13"

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Do you think it's related to the fact I installed the latest Intel drivers vs using the HP version of the driver? I had to update to the latest Intel drivers because when I first got my system, I noticed that Netflix and some other streaming services went blank when playing until I installed the latest drivers.

2. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Oh, that's possible. It would be weird, but it's possible. I will say that the very latest drivers (.7810) offered by HP/Intel via Windows Update should've fixed that Netflix bug. I had the exact bug for ages, but I can't reproduce it on the latest .7810 set.

HP.com also is now offering the .7810 drivers, too, so if WU isn't offering it automatically, you can just download it directly . These are dated Apr 1, 2020 and, according to HP, these are the first set of official HP/Intel iGPU drivers to support Windows 10 1909.

3. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

I should try that! Thanks! I'm running the HP PC hardware diagnostics tool and it shows that everything has passed.

ikjadoon likes this.
  4. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

I think it may be related to having the HDR setting on in Windows. I'll test out what happens when I turn it off.

ikjadoon likes this.
  5. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes, that was my issue.

ikjadoon likes this.
  6. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Ditto this, HDR support in general on laptop displays is still very much hit and miss, and frequently buggy. For instance with some Dells, viewing HDR 10 content and then Dolby Vision or vice versa will cause a blue screen crash.

In fact Dell at one point considered pulling HDR support on the latitudes because of this. Now of course that's the word of one engineer we talked with so might not be the company line

7. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone use this laptop with an Aorus 1080 gaming box? I notice that you have to unplug the eGPU first every time and connecting it only when your system is running. I find that every time I forget to disconnect and reboot, the system goes right into bit locker screen. I have to always disconnect before booting. Also, when I try to connect the laptop to an eGPU in tent mode, my wifi disconnects and my Bluetooth stops working. Anyone else notice these quirks with an eGPU?

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Help please. I'm finding this device has really bad Miracast (or whatever protocol it uses to send screen to TV) latency/bandwidth (via Roku, which works perfectly with other devices, many older). The delay, until the device screen is on the TV (not including the Roku/TV interstitials), even for still images is longer than with any device through the same Roku TV, but worse, streamed content, which is fine on the Spectre x360 is frozen for seconds at a time on the TV screen. I've tried moving the device closer to the TV (helped, not enough - at worst, it's 12 ft from the router and TV with nothing in the line of sight) updated/reinstalled the wifi driver, not sure if there is a different one for this kind of transmission. Need to use this for my wife's educational purposes, not to binge-watch Netflix. Thoughts? Similar experiences? Thanks.

9. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@lovelaptops Hey Jeff, we've seen this with other windows laptops though I haven't tried it with my wife's X360

Windows likes to send large packets when using Miracast and most routers set to default settings will fracture them.

This is for Netgear routers but the basic principal applies

https://kb.netgear.com/25675/How-do-I-change-the-MTU-size-on-my-NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-DSL-Gateway

Marty and lovelaptops like this.
  10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Thanks for the quick response. I'm a bit confused; might I improve the situation by lowering the MTU on my router? Any suggestions for the right level, what problems that might cause me in other applications? (could just do it for Miracast transmissions) Finally, this doesn't happen with my MS Surfacebook 2 or my wife's LG Gram 8th gen. Could anything be wifi 6-related?