13"

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Jarkko

Jarkko Pen Pal - Newbie

Does anyone know whether HP is going to update the Intel Iris Plus graphics drivers regularly? My rig is brand new, and yesterday when doing the standard initial update process there was a single graphics drivers update available on the Windows Update service (November version). It seems that HP handles the graphics driver updates mainly via Windows Update, as well as Bios updates?

The newest version with latest optimizations on the Intel site is released in February, and comes with the version number 26.20.100.7870. I tried to install the newest version first with the Intel Update Tool and then manually, however updating wasn't possible (error message stating that you can't update a manufacturer specific driver, contact your system provider etc.)
    Is it possible to update the Iris Graphics Plus driver manually somehow? Any drawbacks if going this way? The November driver really is quite old and missing all kinds of optimizations that sound quite promising when reading through the release notes of last three Intel driver releases.

Another question, my X360 doesn't have the Intel Optane SSD (instead it came with a very fast Samsung M.2 drive). Can I safely remove all Intel Optane tools and utilities from my computer? Intel Update Tool recommended installing Rapid Storage Technology drivers and tools, might this be helpful concernig the drive perfomance and reliability?

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Sorry, though I own this, I'm not the guy with answers. Still, have to say: welcome @Jarkko - great, thoughtful questions! I know you will get good responses here soon.

Jarkko likes this.
  3. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'll take a stab a a couple of the questions.

1. If you don't have the optane drive installed you can uninstall the intel rapid storage without any downsides except possibly one. It's not clear how the TRIM function is implemented if the intel software is not there. I'd assume if the system comes from HP with the Samsung SSD, it wouldn't be an issue as the management software would be present, if however you installed it yourself I don't know.

As to the Intel graphics software, you are better served by the new Intel Graphics Control Center which is in the Windows App Store. That being said, HP is historically very slow to update their drivers vs intel. We've always been told by HP it's because of the qualifying process and the wide range of SKUs they offer. Take that for what it is since it comes from HP.

4. ikjadoon

ikjadoon Pen Pal - Newbie

I would've agreed with you a month ago, but perhaps my panel is similar to theirs. It did feel just a tad too warm, as if it's got a permanent "Low Blue" mode, which is apparently better for your eyes. Nevertheless, I couldn't get over it and someone else mentioned installing Notebookcheck's calibrated (to their unit's panel, not mine, mind you) ICC color profile, and, wow, it's a lot better. If someone were used to calibrated whites, especially, I could see how they'd pick a more calibrated panel over a higher brightness, higher gamut uncalibrated panel.

So, I'd recommend not installing the profile if you don't notice the difference as then you'll journey in the wilderness of color management in Windows, which can be a painful journey to say the least. But, with those quirks fixed after installing the ICC profile, it's just gorgeous to my eyes now. I refuse to watch movies/TVs on any other PC displays I have, which are admittedly much older, haha.

I think you got the touchpad fixed (which I hadn't experienced on my unit, FWIW, so I was a little unsure), but on the "narrowness" of 16:9. I fully agree: I promised myself I'd never buy another 16:9 laptop, but my old laptop died and I couldn't stomach the updated XPS 13 2-in-1, so I'm still at 16:9.

What's helped me: I don't really multitask too much on the laptop, so I've set the taskbar to auto-hide (which I previously hated). I also installed Preme so it auto-appears on the desktop (all windows minimized) and disabled Windows 10 theme syncing, to stop the taskbar disappearing on my "workstation" with dual monitors.

It's made for a much nicer transition away from 16:9. Removing the taskbar alone isn't 16:10 territory, but more like 16:9.5, haha.

Two things helped me here with the heat and eventual fan noise: uninstalling McAfee (you may have already) and seeing what was eating CPU cycles. For me, it was this wild HP HSA service (I think "HP HP Support Assistant", but who knows?). I'd already uninstalled the Support Assistant, but this service stuck around gobbling 1% to 5% on idle, so I gently disabled it in services.msc and no consequences that I've seen yet. Since then, it works fanlessly 99% of the time (with my relatively light usage).

However, it will use the fans during 1) Windows Updates, 2) any of the "invisible background" antivirus scans, 3) if I'm charging it while using it. The benefit is the 65 W charger. The negative is the 65 W charger.

I can confirm, too, that the latest BIOS update F.13 (March 9, 2020) has cut down overall fan usage even during those "intensive" moments.

It's taken me some time to get used to the bottom palmrest edges as they are a little steep. It'll depend on hand size, but I found a moderately comfortable position by just moving my hands forward a bit.

I agree otherwise: a bit more screen would've meant a bigger touchpad. And, while it's their aesthetic, but I could also do with slightly more rolled edges, hahaha. Overall, though, the laptop really is hard to hate and easy to love.

I was just thinking about that. I'm on .7463, which downloaded automatically, even though HP's site only offers .7060. There are a lot of updates missing specifically with fixes for problems I've had with the 10th gen (external monitors esp), so I'm hoping HP hurries the heck up.

My only optimism that's delaying me forcing the update: Windows 10 update 20H1 / 2004 is coming in a few weeks, with a new driver model (WDDM 2.7). That will require new drivers and older drivers designed for 1803/1809/1903/1909-only won't offer WDDM 2.7 support, if I've understood the situation correctly. Thus, HP may be waiting to "update" to Intel's WDDM 2.7 driver first.

But I wouldn't mind if they released a few more, in the meantime. Had a 30+ minute call two days ago with Netflix's Tier 3 Support explaining some crazy flickering on their Microsoft Store UWP App (bug not present on .7060, partially present on .7463; not at all present in Chrome) and they said it's a known issue.

We'll see what happens in the next few weeks.

EDIT: and, can confirm the BIOS updates are all coming through Windows Update for me. F.12 and F.13 both came through Windows Update automatically.

EDIT2: on the Intel Rapid Storage, I think not needed as these are all NVMe drives, not SATA-AHCI drives. According to Intel,

"Can Intel RST assist me with single drives too?
    Through AHCI, storage performance is improved with Native Command Queuing (NCQ). AHCI also delivers longer battery life with Link Power Management (LPM), which can reduce the power consumption of the chipset and Serial ATA (SATA) hard drive."

Dell agrees with Intel here. I don't understand what it does for NVMe drives whatsoever. I have it on my systems and now I don't know why, haha! Even with it installed on my desktop, my Samsung 960 EVO is still running Microsoft's stock NVMe driver...

Why did HP install it? There's not a single SATA device on these little things... Bloatware, perhaps...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    lovelaptops likes this.
  5. lovelaptops

One quick question @ikjadoon ; how did you uninstall/remove HP Support Assistant?

6. ikjadoon

It's been some time, but IIRC, I just uninstalled the Support Assistant like a normal application via Apps and Features.

I was surprised that didn't remove the HSA service, but perhaps my guess was wrong. The HSA Service appears as "AppHelperCap.exe" in Task Manager, FWIW. In Services.msc, HP App Helper HSA Service notes it launches the AppHelperCap.exe process.

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. Jarkko

Jarkko Pen Pal - Newbie

Yesterday I applied the newest Intel graphics driver using these instructions: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...aphics-Driver-from-Intel-Skylake/ta-p/7185608

Everything seems fine so far and apparently you can use Intel installers and Driver & Support Assistant from now on after going through the manual install procedure just once.

ikjadoon likes this.
  8. lovelaptops

Duh. Thanks much. I am still in the habit of using Programs and Features on the "old" Windows control panel (a vestige of W7), and it only shows a tiny fraction of all apps in the Windows 10 Windows Settings Apps and Features. Amazing how sloppy the OS is.

JoeS and ikjadoon like this.
  9. ikjadoon

I might try to force this, as I've been struggling with this wild bug. If you open this YouTube video on YouTube.com (not as an embed) with Chrome, is anyone getting weird yellow-ish playback instead of white?

This is what I see.

[​IMG]

I can't unsee it, now that I've seen it. It happens with or without a color profile and only affects the video (not the website).

Cheers! Happy to help. And, yes: if anyone had told me 7 years ago when Windows 8 launched that even in 2020 we'd have split Control Panel vs Settings, I would've laughed. They've left color management, mouse settings, File History, File Explorer settings, UAC settings, etc. all only in the Control Panel.

Microsoft truly is the Hooli of our days.

desertlap likes this.
  10. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Microsoft truly is the Hooli of our days.[/QUOTE]
    Great TV show reference !!!

ikjadoon likes this.