13"

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. gamefoo21

gamefoo21 Pen Pal - Newbie

110% AES v2!

Whether or not it's custom tuned to ignore normal stylus's like the ZBS360G5 is... we'll have to see.

2. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

We just got one in for certification testing. No results yet, but just looking at it, the display is gorgeous. I only wish it was 3:2 instead of 16:9 but the consumer market loves to watch videos on their laptops.

PS: I find it interesting that companies are now putting screen to body ratio specs in their listings. Competition can be a good thing.

Marty likes this.
  3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Agreed on the aspect ratio. And how many Apple users (who love watching videos too :p) complain about the black bars on 16:10 MacBooks or 4:3 iPads, anyways?

If you get the chance, please do some brightness vs. color-accuracy tests and also white uniformity and black crush testing, as this is one-of-a-kind OLED panel on the market right now.

4. desertlap

I intend to test it pretty extensively . In fact I plan to take it home with me tonight for some field testing :D

BTW: In the tech notes it supports HDR10. so it definitely is going all in for video
    PS: Apple users don't complain... to apple anyway, they just say "thank you Tim may I have another..."

5. desertlap

One other quick comment. The screen is really bright. Even in the brightest part of our office, the screen is almost too bright even at about 30% on the brightness bar. That compares to about 70% with the new surface Pro 7

Marty likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Another reason why I thought it was totally unnecessary of them to make even brighter QLED screens on the GB Ion/Flex.

Samsung, your OLED screens are great! Just use them! :p

7. desertlap

So the initial report on the screen is disappointing. It has a linearity issue. In other words if you calibrate it at say 50% brightness it's calibrates quite well with low delta e and very good gamut. However if you go to say 30% brightness or 75% brightness it's way off in every dimension.

The good news is that HP thinks it's fixable with a software update, stay tuned.

If you leave the brightness alone and turn off auto-adjustment, it looks terrific and is one of the few laptop screens where you can actually see the improvement with HDR.

One other note, the fans stay quiet for the most part, but when the machine is stressed, in my case trying to convert a video file, the fans get not only quite loud, but do so at an especially annoying pitch. The closest analog I can think of is an electric razor held right against your ear.

Supposedly there is a firmware fix coming for that too.

Marty likes this.
  8. desertlap

Update: I have to give HP their due for a change. They have already released a patch to fix the issues I saw with non linearity of the display. The results are now equal or better than the new 15 inch which has already tested quite well.

They also will have a firmware update "very soon" that should mostly mitigate the fan noise. Related to that, it's also due to an old windows bug that has reappeared where the effects of selecting better performance actually sets the machine to maximum whereas selecting maximum performance actually runs the machine in what should be "better performance" mode. In other words they are flipped.

And BTW; given the above, battery life is very good. Easily enough to get me through a business day.

neongolden and Marty like this.
  9. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

When setting mine up yesterday, it immediately went to a BIOS update, then installed Windows - no fan noise issues.

Folks, this computer is an eye opener. It's amazing what a difference a couple of years can make (wonder what 2021 will bring). I've uploaded some pictures, but bottom line the HP Spectre x360 is 1/2" wider; 1/2"shorter (front to back) and 2 ounces heavier (2lb 11oz vs 2lb 9oz) than the GB12 with its keyboard. And that screen is astounding (even better than the GB12 to my old eyes).

IMG_9285.jpg IMG_9286.jpg IMG_9287.jpg

10. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

How is the antiglare coating? Does it actually make it pleasant enough to draw on to where one might not be compelled to get a screen protector? Or is it modest to the extent that it doesn't really offer any texture for the pen?

If it's actually like the etched glass on a Wacom...