13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I know this is old school photography but do you have an 18% gray card by some off chance?

Alternately since you have an iPad pro 11 and it's already very color accurate out of the box, you could display on both systems and use the iPad as reference
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?...470AF4D13AA01B5D7951D84B117C5A997&FORM=IQFRBA

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Always thought that was suspect; never found even terribly miscalibrated screens showed the "bullseyes" were way off, needed much adjustment. Somewhere I have a calibration device...

3. lovelaptops

Drag. And here I was ready to splurge on this and justify it by...well, never mind that. Still, I won't buy it until I find out if you still own/like it in 3-4 weeks. Oh well, time may wait for no one, but it sure takes its sweet time when you really want to buy a new toy :D.

4. desertlap

You know even as I was talking about it I realize how easy it is for me to take for granted the tools we have for stuff like this, having a color calibration device GREATLY simplifies it. We have the high end Spyder in the office, but even the lower end consumer model does a great job (and the one I have at home for my personal systems)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...de-20&linkId=40d97558cd1df5f236045ad3cf695ebb

neongolden and lovelaptops like this.
  5. lovelaptops

Yeah, that's the one I was referring to. I have owned this for years. If only I could find it since I moved - 18 months ago!!!

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

NOPE - that's 10% of the cost of my new system -

@lovelaptops - only three days in but I am enjoying it as much as the ThinkPad X1 Yoga - bite my tongue and knock on wood...

nnthemperor likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

@lovelaptops - only three days in but I am enjoying it as much as the ThinkPad X1 Yoga - bite my tongue and knock on wood...[/QUOTE]

That's what I was hoping to hear - and afraid of hearing!

8. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

On the topic of factory calibration, did HP mention if they were planning on producing "Dreamcolor" versions of these OLED panels, perhaps on something like a refreshed ZBook X2?

One of the things that surprised me about the end-user experience of the Z Canvas, was the superb out-of-box calibration made so much nicer to use over the long term. I often find myself using it as a reference display for calibrating other monitors.

Graphics control panel sliders are kludgy tools compared to a dedicated LUT programming at the factory. Whereas with other panels, I often find myself second-guessing the display accuracy, a good OOB calibration means only minor adjustments are necessary over the life of the device and I don't have to worry about my settings getting overridden by things like driver updates/OS refreshes etc.

Overall, I would say the value add of Dreamcolor and equivalent panel certification is immeasurable. I would 100% pay the premium for it, even with dedicated calibration tools.

neongolden likes this.
  9. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm so, so close to getting this... I want to actually get it from Best Buy, as they have a no-interest 18-month financing deal going on right now for the holiday season. I was even going to pay an extra $200-ish for 2-year Geek Squad protection.

I was debating either the Raphael 5 or the HP Tilt Pen... I hear the Tilt Pen is top tier Ntrig along with the Raphael 5 and latest Surface Pens, though there still aren't a lot of reviews to go by or any YT vids to my knowledge.

I would literally find someone in Austin to do me a favor and calibrate the screen for me, or pay them if it comes down to it. I'll ask around online and visit computer/photography stores.

Can any of you use some powers of divination on the Zbook X2? Because this device truly looks to me like it is as good as it gets for late 2019. I'll go one or two more days but I'm legit asking anyone to stop me if they feel strongly about it (lol).

When I think about using this Spectre in tablet mode, with a Tabmate, sitting on a nice portable stand with fixed positions that would also fit into my backpack, calibrated and with the right screen protector, I have to try not to think about it for the sake of my health LOL.

dstrauss likes this.
  10. desertlap

Definitely in the rumor category, but we've heard about an Elite Book that will compete with the MacBook Pro 16 coming mid 2020. Marquee feature will be first laptop display with 100% support for Adobe Wide Gamut RGB. Possibly a custom Samsung QLED screen as OLED hasn't reached that range of gamut yet.

I'm not too excited yet as I hear the base price will be north of $5k...

PS: Not sure how that will actually work since a percentage ( 8%) of that color space are imaginary colors...

Marty and neongolden like this.