13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So the initial report on the screen is disappointing. It has a linearity issue. In other words if you calibrate it at say 50% brightness it's calibrates quite well with low delta e and very good gamut. However if you go to say 30% brightness or 75% brightness it's way off in every dimension.

The good news is that HP thinks it's fixable with a software update, stay tuned.

If you leave the brightness alone and turn off auto-adjustment, it looks terrific and is one of the few laptop screens where you can actually see the improvement with HDR.

One other note, the fans stay quiet for the most part, but when the machine is stressed, in my case trying to convert a video file, the fans get not only quite loud, but do so at an especially annoying pitch. The closest analog I can think of is an electric razor held right against your ear.

Supposedly there is a firmware fix coming for that too.

Marty likes this.
  2. desertlap

Update: I have to give HP their due for a change. They have already released a patch to fix the issues I saw with non linearity of the display. The results are now equal or better than the new 15 inch which has already tested quite well.

They also will have a firmware update "very soon" that should mostly mitigate the fan noise. Related to that, it's also due to an old windows bug that has reappeared where the effects of selecting better performance actually sets the machine to maximum whereas selecting maximum performance actually runs the machine in what should be "better performance" mode. In other words they are flipped.

And BTW; given the above, battery life is very good. Easily enough to get me through a business day.

neongolden and Marty like this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

When setting mine up yesterday, it immediately went to a BIOS update, then installed Windows - no fan noise issues.

Folks, this computer is an eye opener. It's amazing what a difference a couple of years can make (wonder what 2021 will bring). I've uploaded some pictures, but bottom line the HP Spectre x360 is 1/2" wider; 1/2"shorter (front to back) and 2 ounces heavier (2lb 11oz vs 2lb 9oz) than the GB12 with its keyboard. And that screen is astounding (even better than the GB12 to my old eyes).

IMG_9285.jpg IMG_9286.jpg IMG_9287.jpg

4. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

How is the antiglare coating? Does it actually make it pleasant enough to draw on to where one might not be compelled to get a screen protector? Or is it modest to the extent that it doesn't really offer any texture for the pen?

If it's actually like the etched glass on a Wacom...

5. dstrauss

It does cut glare (compared to my GB12) but no real feel on the pen to me - but I am NOT an artist.

neongolden likes this.
  6. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Have you had a chance to test for low-end black crush?

@dstrauss could you take a quick look at Lagom's black level page and tell me which is the lowest visible square at 25%/50%/75%/100% brightness (maybe do a quick comparison to your GB12 too)?

One of the nice things about the Z Canvas is how nicely-calibrated the gamma curve is: even at 25% brightness, square 1 is still distinctly visible.

@desertlap have you noticed any vertical banding on a 5% gray window? How consistent is the whitepoint color temperature to D65, at various brightnesses?

Any other other artifacts you guys noticed, like red ghosted trails when scrolling text quickly (which appeared on some earlier Samsung OLEDs)?

If Samsung's latest panel has solved all these old problems, this really could be the prize tablet of 2019. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    neongolden likes this.
  7. desertlap

@Marty
    Still testing with the updated driver and firmware.

Tentatively though, once calibrated the gamma curve is at least as good as the Z canvas and with the fixed driver the white point color temperature only varies 1 or 2% across 90% of the brightness range ands only starts to vary a measurable amount at the extremes...<~9% or >90% settings.

No red ghosted trails yet observed either, but we hadn't really looked for those but will now.

The one negative about the display and I can already say is that out of the box the calibration is mediocre and you need to take the time to calibrate it to get the best results. And we did communicate that back to HP.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
    Marty and neongolden like this.
  8. dstrauss

OK - never have done this before, so take with a grain (or pound) of salt and adjust for old eyes, but here's what I see (table attached). GB12 is clearly better if looking for lightest squares visible.

Attached Files:

Marty and lovelaptops like this.
  9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Hey Dale,
    Would you mind fast-forwarding about 3 weeks and tell us how you will like it then? :p

JoeS likes this.
  10. dstrauss

No