13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I haven't found an Achilles heel except for the pen, and a Wacom Bamboo Ink pretty much solved that. I'd say it's just a notch below Surface Pen, and far above HP and Dell's in the box pens. The real advantage of the x360 is the small size and robust performance. Your FHD should add about 2 hours+ to run times from what I've read.It really is like a modern version of a MacBook Air 11. In the store, the FHD looks pretty good, but I guess I'm a display snob and 4k OLED is amazing. Don't know that it is $700-800 amazing though.

2. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Is it normal for a company to take longer than a month to ship a laptop with only one custom change? I only asked them to change the SSD. I ordered back in the middle of January and they still haven't begun building it. Yet HP keeps sending me congrats emails about me choosing my laptop and asking me to register it for the Care pack I purchased. This is my first time buying from HP and I'm getting a really bad feeling about them from my experience so far. I doubt even Apple would take this long to ship a custom laptop that's been out in the market for 4 months now.

3. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<..Is it normal for a company to take longer than a month to ship a laptop with only one custom change?..>>

It's possible. I seem to recall that it took something like 4 to 6 weeks for me to get my ZBook. In addition, if recent press reports are to be believed, the coronavirus outbreak in China is disrupting the availability of some parts like SSDs.

If things drag on for another couple of weeks, then definitely contact HP customer support.

Good luck...

4. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, I didn't even consider that as a reason . That makes complete sense and totally understandable. I feel bad complaining about it now. I just don't understand why HP keeps spamming me about my laptop that they haven't even put together yet. It seems like they should know.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@gman713 - HP is sloooooow on any customized unit. You just get put in line for a build, not as if they pull a built system and put in the SSD. In addition, I have been told repeatedly with my orders they are at the mercy of Intel for processor allocations as well.

gman713 likes this.
  6. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

Just FYI. I returned my Spectre way back in December as I was not pleased with the 16:9 aspect ratio on a 13.3 screen. Other than that everything was excellent. I know I am in Canada and only a regular consumer but the waiting time for my refund was nail biting. 14 days until I received notification of a refund from HP and then another 20 business days before my bank was credited.

Maybe it was just a Christmas rush thing but I have dealt with Microsoft and Dell for refunds and they were way faster. I will not buy direct from HP again.

Terry

lovelaptops likes this.
  7. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Did they charge you a 15% restocking fee? The HP customer service rep warned me they would charge me that because I requested a custom part . What's crazy is that I called them to cancel my order last week because it hasn't even started to be built but HP refused to cancel because they claim it's being built. I just checked today and it's still not built. Should I call again or am I locked in?

8. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Terry, you are so right to feel the way you do. I decided after a comparable experience with HP - not the first - that I too would never buy from HP again. I have read many similar accts on this forum. It means you can't get, eg, this device with LTE because they only sell it direct. It's too bad because they've really gotten their hdwe act together but in all matters of orders, cancelations, refunds it's like you said, frustrating and nail-biting. I had to make about 10 calls over 3 weeks to get my last pchse/refund.

Just to make matters worse, I got a great deal on this device from Best Buy ($500 off, 1day sale, (thanks @dstrauss) and it arrived unable to access its hard drive. Now fighting with BB because they say sale is over and done and they won't replace it "at that price!" Large corporations are [a necessary?] evil of life these days if you want to be a consumer of good stuff at affordable prices. I'm holding on to the gear I have for dear life!

Lilawyn likes this.
  9. tcassidy

tcassidy Pen Pal - Newbie

I even offered to purchase an LTE equipped one instead but that is not an option here.

Terry

10. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Well, finally got my $799 special DOA replaced by BB. So, for the first time I can get a feel for this machine, admittedly with base display and 8GB RAM (notice the former, big time, not yet the latter, I don't think.

So, only major issue thus far is the touchpad. I find that it sometimes scrolls smoothly in both directions, but in some apps/web pages the downward scroll (which I have set for traditional downward motion) is markedly slower and jerky. This makes the two biggest structural disadvantages of this device - 16X9 screen, narrow touchpad - that much worse. Too much scrolling, and uneven. Anyone have these issues?

Second question: has anyone spent much time futzing around with the "performance mode" HP setting? I've read that it raises the TDP to 28 watts but there is some ambiguity. Does it really do that? Does it make a difference?

Though I'm still loading/setting up this device and getting used to it, I can see why it is so appealing to folks: it's just so comfortable, responsive and lacking in no feature I can't live without. I will say that it's design makes tablet-form usage - generally not very useful in any convertible - worse than in at least two others I own. It is closes in a butterfly fashion and is especially awkward to hold in tablet format. (I know I'll get a lot of boos, but the Google Pixelbook remains the most perfect form factor, keyboard, and touchpad of any convertible I have ever used by far - too bad it's a freakin Chromebook!)

That's all for now...

wytn likes this.