13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

The weight of the SB has been a non issue in my use, which is why I want to go bigger. With the way I use it I'm not frequently moving it around throughout the day, so I'd rather have higher horse power and more screen area. I was even considering a gaming laptop, but completely losing pen use and jumping up to nearly 10 lb is going to far I think (also battery life).

That 16GB memory cap, is a concern though.

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

This is going to REALLY sound weird, but have you considered the LG Gram 17? The price is outstanding; folks have reported taking it up to 40gb RAM (those 32gb simms are expensive) and 2TB of SSD. No touch/pen however, but that 17" screen is massive, still under 3#, and you could always go iPad for note taking - oops - I lost you there...

Please forgive my Apple suggestion - seriously consider looking at the upgraded Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga with 10th gen Intel - if you can live with 14" you get a full figured rig with a siloed pen...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    Mesosphere likes this.
  3. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an OLED Spectre on order with 256gb of storage and wondering if I'll have any issues replacing the SSD with my 2TB nvme SSD from my current 8th gen Razer Blade Stealth? Also, I currently use a Sonnet Breakaway Box 500 with an RTX 2070 and get great results and consistent connections with the egpu. Does anyone have good results with the new Spectre and egpu connection? Would performance be at least on par compared to a last generation Blade Stealth? I'm looking forward to the Spectre due to it's overall form and function compared to my more traditional laptop that has a terrible keyboard layout.

4. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One other caveat to the gram (which overall is a solid computer) is that the screen is only mediocre if you want to use it for things like photo editing. It has a gamut on the lower end compared say a MacBook Pro or Surface Pro and is a bit challenging to calibrate (wide swings in accuracy dependent on brightness settings)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  5. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

Trustedreviews just published a new review stating the 4K version has poor battery life at 4.5 hours in normal use. Would owners say that's accurate?

6. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

I'm sure I don't stress them the same way they do, but on a weekend at home, with mostly email, OneNote, Word, and surfing, I get 6 plus hours out of mine.

Marty likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Lisa's review got over 7 hrs from the OLED/4K display and last week reviewed the FHD IPS display and reiterated by saying she got, paraphrasing, 3 hrs more [than with 4K], over 10 hrs.

8. gman713

gman713 Pen Pal - Newbie

I can deal with that. I think my FHD 2019 Razer Blade Stealth gets about 7 hours as well .

9. desertlap

I haven't measured ours in the conventional sense, but I've used it as my work machine in what is a typical scenario for me.

Off the charger and out the door at 6:30 am. Used extensively throughout the day with a variety of apps including office and Acrobat. Sleeping it by closing the lid with each location move. Back home about 6:00 pm with about 20% showing as remaining on the battery.

This is almost identical to an i5 8GB Surface Pro 7 and slightly less than a Dell XPS 2 in 1 (1080p screen) which was showing 35% left and a Lenovo 940 also with a 1080p screen which was showing about 30%.

I did try out a 940 with the 4k display and it did not make it all the way through the day. However it was a very early sample of that model and my understanding is that there has been a bunch of software and firmware updates since which improves battery life.

FWIW: The only somewhat negative thing I've discovered is that the Spectre specifically with the 4k OLED display catches reflections a bit more than average, especially for example if the light source is at about a 30 degree angle directly behind me (like a bright desk lamp). It's not enough to bother me and/or a slight shift in position usually resolves it.

PS: Purely anecdotally, but I believe that 10th gen systems with the iris plus graphics are more affected by graphics intensive apps in a negative way aka lowered battery life compared to say the 8th gen systems. We've seen it with apps like Photoshop and Illustrator or CAD apps. The upside is that they are notably faster though.

10. desertlap

Laptop mag comparison between the 940 and Spectre X360. I think it's interesting generally since I think many new buyers will consider the two. However, I think it took a serious credibility shot when he talks about displays. They award it to the Lenovo even though their own tests give the Spectre the edge.

It "wins the eye test" ...Seriously???? :mad:

https://www.laptopmag.com/features/lenovo-yoga-c940-vs-hp-spectre-x360

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020