13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

You must be talking about this headline

Xerox gets $24 billion in financing commitments for HP buyout offer

Might be helpful if they cut down on the number of SKU's and conflicting systems both within and between their business and consumer divisions - I just hope it doesn't stifle innovations like the Spectre Folio, Dragonfly, and my favorite, the x360 Late 2019.

Seems like a pretty big pile of cash...

2. dstrauss

3. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

ikjadoon likes this.
  4. dstrauss

This is the "late 2019" model - the newest in the line up. I agree completely with the review, including the observation that they could have kept the same form factor and put in a 3:2 or at least 16:10 display, but then I have to remind myself that this is the consumer line (Spectre) not the business line (Elite), where Netflix binge watching seems to trump all other considerations. It is a little beast. In fact, for 2 more ounces than my GB12 (according to our office postage scale) it runs circles around most laptops. Besides, it is pretty cool to have a MacBook Air 11 size PC...:D

ikjadoon and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

I am now the confirmed (no going back) owner of the x360 Late 2019 laptop, and very happy with that. In fact, long time members of the tribe are probably marveling at the fact that he used the same laptop for 80 days and let the extended return period lapse. To continue to beat the dead horse, at 2 oz over the weight of the GB12, I have more than four times the computer in the same package (narrower but wider). The only thing missing is Wacom EMR - a big miss I have to admit - but then again absent the Surface Pen no Wacom AES nor N-Trig pen is anywhere near as good as EMR. In fact, I am using my Surface Pen with the HP despite the fact it skips every once in a while primarily because it FEELS better on the screen (a little more grip).

If only ALL the Windows OEM's would follow Lenovo with integrated stick pens in the device.

lovelaptops, Mesosphere and ikjadoon like this.
  6. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Hey Dale!

I've been thinking about possibly replacing my SB1 with the upcoming x360 15". Do you find the pen on the x360s to be "good enough"?

7. dstrauss

Yes, it is "good enough" but not as good as the Surface Pen or the Lenovo. The Surface Pen actually works on my 13" better to me, but can sometimes make little skips. The 15" with the 1650 TI graphics really looks like a killer, but I just fell in love with this tiny form factor - a MacBook Air 11 size PC.

Mesosphere likes this.
  8. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Thanks!

My needs/desires have drifted quite a bit since I was active around here. My handwritten one-note use is a fairly rare occurrence these days and my laptop generally doesn't get used much unless I'm traveling. But when I do travel it can be big chunks of time where I want something as close as a replacement to my home/office desktops as possible. My SB1 has been pretty good for that but I've often wished I had the 15" SB2, and my SB1 is getting pretty long in the tooth. Has anyone heard any meaningful rumors on the SB3?

9. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Great to hear from you again @Mesosphere! The best thing about TPCR: you're always welcome and you're never forgotten :).

IMHO (have owned both SBs, on my way to the winner of 4 years of @dstrauss's quest for the perfect device compromise that works well for 80 days without needing replacement, the main reason to get this (there are many others - ports, OLED or LTE, not both) is portability. You say you use a laptop mainly for travel, well, I'm tired of the weight and girth of the SB form factor. The Spectre x360 13 is extremely compact and thus feels far lighter than it is (over 1 lb lighter than the SB 15, 0.5 lbs less than SB 13) and once you switch (I've been using my wife's paper light LG Gram occasionally, and am hooked on portability) you can't go back. If you don't require detachable screen or 3:2 aspect ratio, in either 13" (late 2019) or 15" (due for refresh this spring, but current model no slouch, far, far cheaper than SB) this HP series is very tough to beat.

Sorry, I don't know about timing of SB replacement, but someone will (allow me to introduce you to @desertlap - the main difference between him and the rest of us is that he actually knows stuff, doesn't just have opinions! :D)

Mesosphere likes this.
  10. dstrauss

Unlike @desertlap, all I have are opinions and conjecture (read my signature) but I have real doubts about an SB3. Given the Surface Laptop 15", the Surface Pro seeming to reach its design limits, the desire to move into ARM, and the dynamic Neo/Duo, something is going to have to give in the product line. I feel MS could more easily add a solid keyboard alternative to the Surface Pro line as continuing to push the SB line down the road. Also, this has to be the year of TB3 for MS, right? :eek: so the need for Surface connect gluing together the SB is dying quickly.

As @lovelaptops pointed out, the 15" Spectre x360 looks to be a powerhouse (as long as 16gb of ram will fill the bill), and their are always sales on the XPS 15 and ThinkPad Carbon that make them more affordable alternatives to the SB2 - even MS' own Surface Laptop 15 looks good by comparison.

As for the comment that I have found the perfect compromise device - I still do a lot of note taking, so that part of the equation is still an open wound. I am using my iPad Pro 11 and realize I need the screen real estate, but long for an iPad Mini 5 size device - Panos, let's put the spurs to the Neo release...

Mesosphere and lovelaptops like this.