13" Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Lisa gave the display a pass! Good job HP! :thumbsup:

But on the downside, wow jitter @6:00 seems kinda bad (looks even more wobbly than my DuoSense2 Z Canvas):

[​IMG]

Has anyone had a chance to test this with the SP5 pen, the new Surface Slim Pen, or the Raphael5?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2019
  2. MobileTechReview

MobileTechReview Scribbler - Standard Member

I tested it with the Surface Pro Pen and HP's tilt pen. Still jittery. HP, when considering improvements, doesn't seem to prioritize the finer points of pen performance. I'll nag them about it.

lovelaptops and Marty like this.
  3. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, Lisa. Now how about that 14" C940?

4. MobileTechReview

Wish I knew. Lenovo is very slow getting the C940 review loaners out to us reviewers.

5. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

@MobileTechReview - great job Lisa - as always. The HP x360 has become my travel and desktop companion. Now if only I could pin down my tablet for real note taking...

MobileTechReview and lovelaptops like this.
  6. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

@MobileTechReview Lisa,

Great review. Question: when you say the pen is jittery, either pen, are you suggesting it's not even ok for note-taking? I'm assuming, @dstrauss, you're suggesting the Spectre x360 is not ideal for note-taking due to its form factor, not problems writing, no?

In truth, the biggest disappointment from Lisa's review for me is the battery life - 7.5 hrs at best. When you said it was 2 hrs worse with the OLED screen (I think), we're you comparing it to the 4k or FHD IPS screen? Either way, it's a tough call for me:

Pros:
    - more compact, no bezel
    - Windows Precision track pad
    - OLED is nice
    (only the 1st worth much to me)

Cons:
    - meh batt life
    - significantly worse audio (from other reviews - Lisa?
    - prob. $300 more than older vers.

7. MobileTechReview

Jeff, as I said in my review, I think the pen is good enough for most note-takers. There are handwriting connoisseurs who might notice and care, but I think it's fine for most folks.

As for battery life, I meant OLED vs FHD. I am expecting the FHD to arrive in the next week or two for testing, so my statement is based on what HP reviews program folks tell me. I suspect the FHD might even go 3 hours longer, but I like to be conservative when I don't have it in hand to test myself.

lovelaptops likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If this gen is like the previous OLED which HP only released in the 15 inch size, then the FHD with a conventional LCD should give a substantial bump in battery life.

OLED has a lot of benefits but it also consumes a lot of power. That all being said and I'm sure Lisa can confirm, lowering the brightness can also extend the battery life quite a bit.

In our tests, running the display at about 30% on the brightness slider versus 70% adds over and hour and a half battery life on the sample we had.

lovelaptops likes this.
  9. lovelaptops

Thanks Lisa. My head is spinning. Finally, there appear to be 3 excellent devices in this class: 1) This Spectre, 2) Dell XPS 2 in 1; 3) Lenovo c940. For some reason the Spectre has a place in my heart, the Dell seems excellent, but I have deep distrust for Dell QC and support, and I have no feelings, one way or another, for the Lenovo, but man are the reviews signing its praises. Sight unseen I'd probably pick the Lenovo based on features, specs, reviews but the Spectre has been the one I've been eyeing for quite some time and the Dell on paper looks superb, and has the 16:10 aspect ratio.

One thing remains true, as it has for many years in consumer/prosumer tech: doing nothing is heavily rewarding as long as your current hardware meets your needs; it just gets better and cheaper if you wait. I'm especially partial to 1-2 year old products, purchased new, open box, refurbed or barely used, at about 50% discount to current models. This time I just have a hankering for latest/greatest, and my eyes are popping and lips smacking. And @dstrauss has had the Spectre x360 for weeks, and peace and contentment reign in the land :).

Thoughts, anyone?

10. lovelaptops

Thanks Lisa. Looks like I wasn't paying close enough attention when I saw your review - I wasn't; couldn't wait to see it, but was pressed for time. Oh well, looks like I have a 12 minute treat coming. After all, this isn't personal indulgence, it's all business :D.

Edit: One important question. At 11:18 you show the SSD speed benchmark and your comment was, in essence, fine, but not top of class. Fair enough, but one spec caught my eye: the RANDOM 4K Q1T1 read/write is 137/108 MB/s. The read speed is faster, by around 2x than anything I've ever seen, while the write is as good as I've ever seen. I've always read that this is the most meaningful measurement for noticeable responsiveness in everyday use. Yet you didn't comment about that in particular nor any particular sense of quickness using this machine. That aspect of performance is probably #1 for me, given that it is the most variable and potentially most noticeable in overall sense of quickness and on all other measurements all devices seem equivalent. Any comments @MobileTechReview , @dstrauss or anyone else?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019