13" OLED Spectre on Ice

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by kurt corbin, Sep 30, 2019.

1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

@neongolden I'd check with a local photography club, possibly through the local library. That's how I first started myself and the folks were happy to help me. It was only when I was doing it often enough that I felt like I was annoying them, that I bit the bullet and bought one of my own.

also BTW: another reason to get a calibration tool is that all displays drift over time and a battery powered one is about 3 time worse in that regard

neongolden likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Yowza! :vbeek: That's base price for a Elitebook!? Come again....

Do the HP engineers have no love for the ZBook X2? Wasn't that their baby for 2-3 years of totally custom R&D?

I mean there's so much potential there: they could go slim-bezel and put the 15.6" OLED in the same footprint, or knock off the bezels entirely and do 13.3" OLED in an ultra-portable footprint, like this new Spectre.

Both those with EMR and Dreamcolor-certified would be an artist's dream.

neongolden likes this.
  3. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Starting day 4, no problems so far. Core Temp is showing a max of 72-78C on the four Cores, even when folded into tablet mode so I can take notes at my desk.

Totally unrelated, but great news to me (and I think all serious note takers) - OneNote 2016 has been resurrected by Microsoft; will be upgraded with all the new features in the UWP version, and has extended life through 2025!

https://www.onmsft.com/news/microso...new-features-and-extended-support-though-2025

4. dstrauss

I know it is only day 4, but the late 2019 X360 13 is a great device at a good value. Here's what I mean:
    • $1699 gets you i7-1065G7 Ice Lake with Iris Plus Graphics; 4k OLED; 16gb ram; 1tb SSD; mSDXC reader; two USB-C TB3; 1 USB-A; touch and pen in box
    • x360 vs Dell XPS 7390: for $1749 the Dell - no OLED (UHD 16:10 LCD); 8gb ram; 256gb SSD; no USB-A; little narrower but deeper - same weight; pen $30-extra (not bad); no mSDXC reader - you want 16gb ram (sorry, can only order 32gb at this level) and 1tb ssd another $900
    • x360 vs Lenovo Yoga C940: for $1755 from Lenovo - no OLED but 13.9" 4k, no mSDXC reader; pretty close!
    • x360 vs Apple MacBook Pro 13: for $1799 from Apple - Retina display; Core i5 with Iris Plus Graphics 655; 8gb ram; 256gb ssd; 4 USB-C/TB3 but no USB-A nor mSDXC reader; no touch or pen (no duh) you want 16gb ram and 1tb ssd another $650
    • x360 vs Surface Pro 7: for $1759 from MS: i7 10th gen; no OLED but 2K+; 16gb ram; 256gb ssd; keyboard and pen included; the only true tablet in this field - but here's where it gets tricky - you want 1tb - that's another $540

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    neongolden and JoeS like this.
  5. dstrauss

Ran iTunes streaming Lawrence of Arabia for about 45 minutes - steady, no jitters, no thermal or processor spikes. Only when you put your cursor in the video frame did it stutter - but all Windows devices do this (if they don't overheat or slow top a crawl). Very impressive (and yes, I know iTunes for Windows is a POS - but it is a good stress test of a Windows system because of that).

Marty likes this.
  6. kurt corbin

kurt corbin Scribbler - Standard Member

This is the one you got? At Best Buy? Are you sure it has an anti-glare display? Because for that config Best buy says, "BrightView glossy screen maintains the vivid colors in your photos and videos. 3840 x 2160 native resolution. AMOLED backlight." AMOLED backlight? Huh?

7. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

That's a very expensive way to back-light your LCD.. Or maybe it's a 1x1 active matrix? :D

8. neongolden

neongolden Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry to keep being a somewhat of a taker instead of a giver:

Am I right in that it's looking like this product is too new to get Black Friday deals? I'm not a pro-shopper. I tried a few coupons in HP's site but they aren't working. I was at Best Buy last night and unexpectedly failed to qualify for financing, so I have to either order it somewhere else or buy it all at once after a few more paychecks. I forgot to ask anything about Black Fri but since the clerk didn't volunteer anything and the prices were standard, I think I can assume the price wouldn't change as we approach the actual date... Tonight I'm going to try to buy it through HP with PayPal financing, but unfortunately it looks like they are short and it won't ship until early Dec. Perhaps the silver lining is it could increase the chances that I get one with no QA problems, as that guy on Digital Digest had an issue with the chassis popping. Some people reported trackpads that didn't feel firmly secured.

Also, I'm getting it with the Tilt Pen first... I might even try to use my VAIO pen that I still have. If neither of those feel right then I'll pick up the Raphael 5. I'm hoping they'll act the same as on Surface. I'm slightly worried simply because that standard HP Active Pen is indeed quite terrible -- even the cursor lag was pretty bad, like pre- Z Canvas levels of bad, but I think that was all the pen and not because the laptop has some sort of old/inferior Ntrig/MPP tech in it.

Still working out which stand to get, but I'll run it by you all. Thanks!

9. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

You might to try by phone when ordering from HP:

Say that you've heard HP is offering Black Friday deals on new 10th gen laptops and see if the agent can provide you a discount, if you make an order early.

In my experience, sales reps do have leeway, especially in creating new customer accounts and selling new flagship products. 5-10% discount is certainly within the realm of possibility, if it means a direct sale instead of a sale through Best Buy.

Also check with the sales rep that holiday returns apply, with free return shipping and no 15% restocking fee will apply (as that is mentioned on HP's site).

Lastly, if the deal offered is contingent of extra costs like a service plan, it might be wiser just to wait and keep checking forums for Black Friday deals. It's a buyer's market in November so, there's no need to jump into anything.

PS. BB reps tend to be a lot more lenient with payment, rainchecks, etc, if you mention you're interested in their Product Replacement Plan. I've looked into it myself and depending on your usage, having an extra 2 years of warranty, plus a guarantee of an "equal or better replacement" (or refund) is actually pretty attractive, especially if you're OCD about burn-in, screen defects, etc.

(Of course, verify the coverage and terms with the rep, as this was about a year ago when I was considering an SB2 purchase.)

Since it's based on the value of the item (which is much lower thankfully, than something like an MSP16), it's worth checking out imo, especially if it means you can get interest-free financing. ;)

neongolden and Steve S like this.
  10. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...You might to try by phone when ordering from HP...In my experience, sales reps do have leeway...>>

This is my experience, too. I always talk to a sales agent when I'm purchasing anything that's high dollar cost. On the last computer that I bought from HP, in addition to a sizeable company discount, the sales agent gave me an extra 5% "just because."

Can't beat that!

neongolden likes this.