13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

My source on this is privy to the situation but I'm unable to say anymore as it would break my NDA....and as much as I love y'all I'm not breaking my NDA as my livelihood is bound to it...

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  2. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

But could you suggest why the CEO would very publicly associate Wacom with MS hardware, if they were indeed looking to break ties with MS at the time?

3. jnjroach

CEO and PR...kind of goes hand and hand.... honestly you can believe whatever you would like, I stand by my source.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Marty

And honestly, that's not really an answer. Ok, let's believe your source:

So the CEO advertises to the public, "Microsoft is our partner and the Surface Pro uses Wacom."

Then behind the scenes they tell MS, "We don't want to work with you anymore and remove all mention of Wacom in your advertising material."

What's the strategic advantage of this? Why would a company looking to break ties, draw attention to those ties in a public interview on a popular tech blog?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  5. jnjroach

Let take a quick step back to the SP1 launch, MS nor Wacom wouldn't confirm the digitizer until the Artist Outcry for a WINTAB driver, SP2 again we knew its was WACOM because we knew that the only change was the CPU and Chipset and MS was much more forthcoming with the info, around the same time WACOM launches its own line it doesn't sell well and shortly after MS removes mention of WACOM from their marketing material on the SP2.

Now the SP3 launches very publically with N-Trig and sells like hotcakes....WACOM CEO then calls MS out as a Hardware Partner?

6. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

I seem to get my hands on a review for a review unit ..
    though the source seems kind of ... meh ... but for the record ..

http://www.itwire.com/your-it-news/home-it/65831-envy-hp’s-x2-–-perhaps-on-the-surface

I'll quote these interesting facts from the review .. :

" The 13” has 400 nits brightness ... and the 15” has 200 nits "

his quote on the screen for multimedia

" the Surface was slightly ahead on visual quality but the HP beat it on screen size and impact. "

" the 13” has a 3-cell 33WHr battery and the 15” a 50WHr. In my limited trail 8 hours was about maximum. "

" Both come with BeatsAudio – the 13” has dual speakers and the 15” has quad. The dual speaker system was adequate for personal viewing and was slightly better than the Surface in terms of overall volume and clarity. "

as for the keyboard tho :

" it gives as good an experience as you can except from a Chiclet style keyboard. "

And the most important of all .. The stylus

" It also has an Active stylus (battery operated) but details are scant on that too. Let’s just say that you can write and draw on the screen and it comes with a trial version of Evernote. "

Quality

" Premium, over-engineered, build, and finish. It is HP!

It looks much bigger than the Surface Pro 3 – it is more an occasional tablet. The Beats Speaker Grill and bezel on either side make this a large device. "

Prices

" 13” $1399 8GB, 256GB SSD

15” $1299, 8GB, 500GB Hybrid "

A bummer, I suppose he's close to HP , yet he didn't get the stylus ..
    did hp want him to mention the battery pen ? Did he assume on something he isn't sure of ? We don't know ..

Is this totally a scam ? Impossible, he had photos of the device beside his personal surface pro 3 , yet I guess there's no way it's a wacom ..

7. Marty

I think you got the timeline wrong in the last bit:

Surface Pro: February, 2013
    Cintiq Companion: August, 2013
    Surface Pro 2: October, 2013
    CES 2014: January, 2014 (interview)
    Surface Pro 3: June 20, 2014

The interview was conducted 4-5 months after the launch of the CC and SP2 (well before the launch of the SP3). This would have been exactly the time when Wacom would have been noticing the SP2 outselling the CC (and accotelling MS to remove ad material).

According to your timeline, why would Wacom tell MS to pull ad material mentioning Wacom, while simultaneously stating in the interview that they were partners and that the SP has Wacom hardware?

So most of the evidence seems to be falling on the side of this being an active capacitive stylus. If it is Wacom, then it would have to be the rumored single-layer digitizer, which seems unlikely. Perhaps it's time to change title of this thread? Or should we wait for official specs?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  8. jnjroach

Sorry....my mistake on the timeline, I can't devulge any official statements. But it was between October 2013 and January 2014 that they were aske to remove the marketing material. I learned of it in March 2014 and told again in May 2014.

9. colorsdiary

colorsdiary Pen Pal - Newbie

It's too early to assume just yet , even though I brought the source I still question its honesty

First of all , he didn't bring too many photos which doesn't make sense
    Then, and specially for the pen, I noticed the last photo actually shows the pen ,
    Why did he say that he has no infos about it?

This review has gien me more questions than answers ,
    according to earlier hands-ons the 13"should be in some Stores starting from this tuesdy,
    If the time changed, Still it wait be too far away , let's just wait and see.

10. Marty

Don't worry about revealing anything about your source. I respect his/her privacy. My only concern is the plausibility of theories based off the info...

To be specific, the theory that I'm referring to is: "Wacom deliberately tried to hide info about the Wacom digitizer in the Surface Pro, in order to boost Cintiq Companion sales." It's something that everyone on this forum (except surfaceproartist) seem to be glad to leap on, ignoring the facts.

Why would Wacom ask MS to remove "Wacom" ad material between October-January, then re-affirm the partnership at the end of January?

Right now, I think that theory is complete bunk.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.