13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

Very bad news, guys: I just got back from the event. The HP Envy 13 x2 and HP Envy 15 x2 will not be sold in Italy, so they were no available for test, but I used the HP Pavilion 10 x2 and it is Synaptics - the Dell Active Stylus is the only pen that works with it.
    HP Italy has not been able to tell me if the two Envys use this technology.
    My original Italian article: http://www.tabletpc.it/it/2014/10/14/hp-pavilion-10-x2-il-digitalizzatore-e-synaptics/

eaglestar, JoeS and Mesosphere like this.
  2. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Wow, synaptics. That is a surprise.

3. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

That is a surprise, but a very bad one! (thanks for info BTW) Synaptics is a highway to hell. I think Envy line will have Synaptics also, as styluses look the same and producing and selling two different pens with same jacket would not be very smart (but it is HP, so...).
    I just wonder, what was the CPU in Pavilion X2?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  4. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Thanks for the detective work! Did you happen to note the screen resolution of the x2? And do you happen to know whether the E330 price includes the keyboard?

5. bloodycape

bloodycape confused Senior Member

So, their business models will be using Atmel, and Wacom, while consumer models will be Synaptic? That's not going to confuse customers at all.

6. eaglestar

eaglestar Scribbler - Standard Member

Probably the Synaptic technology is much cheaper. But, I will get better results writing and drawing with my fingertips than using Synaptics stylus.

7. Giacomo UCDS

Giacomo UCDS Tablet PC addicted

Pavilion 10 x2 full specs:

• Intel Atom Z3745D or Atom Z3736F processors
    • 2 GB of RAM DDR3L. 1333 MHz
    • 32 GB eMMC
    • 10,1-inch IPS display (1280×800, 16:10, glossy)
    • Synaptics digitizer
    • WiFi 802.11b/g/n; Bluetooth 4.0
    • Full-size USB 3.0; miniHDMI, SD
    • dual Stereo speakers DTS
    • 2-cell, 35 Wh battery
    • 15W microUSB charger
    Price: 329 euros/dollars with keyboard and Office 365 Personal (1 year)

JoeS likes this.
  8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Bronsky let us know in another thread (which I can't remember the location of right now) that Wacom was making things difficult for MS with their Surface line; that MS *wanted* to use good digitizer technology but Wacom was being deliberately unhelpful. -And that this precipitated the decision to drop Wacom and go with N-Trig in their latest model. Wacom, apparently, didn't even want MS to use the "Wacom" name on their product. That explains a lot.

My long suspicion has always been that Wacom is entertaining fears of losing their captive artist market to alternative tablets which don't cost outrageous amounts of money. This kind of thing would certainly support that idea. And so, rather than sell decent Penabled OEM boards to their competitors, (or sell their own hardware for prices which don't aim to gouge creative people), they instead act like such snerks that other manufacturers look elsewhere for stylus technology.

On the one hand, I can't really blame Wacom. That's the world we live in; "compete or die". On the other hand...

For crying out loud! This is yet another stupid instance of humans keeping great technology in the cupboard while allowing greed and self-interest to limit the human race from its potential.

How the heck we're supposed to reach for the stars when we act like idiot apes (who aren't allowed to draw a straight line for less than $2000) is beyond me.

Star Trek? Not at this rate.

Bronsky, stoneseeker and michaelws like this.
  9. michaelws

michaelws Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

One usually ends up dealing with what one fears. Wacom is, by it's fear of competition, if that is the case, enabling other companies to come in and develop and innovate, and become true competitors.. They could have worked with MS but chose not to so the contract goes to N-Trig...giving N-Trig the monies to continue to develop their product.

I too am tired of paying such high rates for Wacom...and my experience with them over the charging, insurance issue around their charging port on the Companion really soured me. They are trying to make up for it now, on this single issue but the experience left me sincerely hoping that another company might having a competing product...that I would be willing to buy even if it wasn't as good as Wacom...just to throw my support for that needed competition.

There are some financially successful artists out there but the majority are hanging in the market by a thread...paycheck to paycheck. If there were affordable tools...well I could go on and on.

But the point is that Wacom should realize their position in the market right now...and make their stuff affordable. Huion is the company I am looking at rather than dropping three times the amount for a Cintiq 22...I can live without the few things that that extra 12 or 1300 dollars wold get me...mostly software development that I am sure Huion is working on.

A shame really...because I never doubted Wacom up until this last experience with the Companion...and now that seed of doubt can not be removed.

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  10. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

So long as profit and self-interest are the bottom line in our society we will not grow anywhere near our fullest potential, but it is a vicious cycle to leave. Large business and government models are only reflections of a human condition that runs so deep, it will take more than a policy change for us to evolve past that place.
    Mark, we should start a "Angry Philosopher-Artists" thread! haha It will be a hit!

Bronsky and thatcomicsguy like this.