13.3" and 15" Envy X2 with... (drumroll) Synaptics!

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by Marty, Sep 7, 2014.

1. dbo_texas

dbo_texas Pen Pal - Newbie

FYI if anyone following this thread in the US is considering buying the 13.3" Envy X2, Best Buy just dropped the price from $1099 to $899 (model 13-j002dx). This exact same configuration will cost you $1230 on HP's website. This is for the Core M-5Y70, 256GB SSD, 8GB memory, 1920x1080 FULL HD display, WLAN 2x2 configuration. It does NOT include the HP pen in this store boxed configuration (there is a version in the UK -model 13-j002tu- which ships with the pen but this US version does not. Also, HP has dropped the pen price from $60 to $45 as of a few days ago. I'm gonna get one for xmas. I was torn between this and the Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga which seems to be a little more powerful even though it uses the Haswell processors which are more powerful than the Core M Broadwell. Anyhow, Best Buy has a good return policy, so I figure there is little risk in buying this and trying it for a few weeks and then deciding if it is good enough for my use.

2. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

Alright, I've got the Dell Active Stylus 750-AAGN (what I was calling the A03, which technically isn't correct.) By far, I prefer the performance of this pen to the official HP stylus and the Dell A02. It has a much more controllable pressure sensitivity, although it's still not up to Wacom status. Otherwise, it performs just as well as far as hover tracking response, edge detection, and basically every other factor. After using it for a little while, I think this is as good as we're going to get with the Envy x2 15" (I'd love to be proven wrong), which means that it's awesome for taking notes and marking up schematics, but probably not awesome for artists.

3. klas

klas Pen Pal - Newbie

I just got 15" X2 and been having issue with being connected to my netgear r7000 router on 5ghz band. X2 just stops seeing the band after sometime and i have toggle radio on/off to get it to work again. Anyone else have this issue?

4. SleepyHeadde

SleepyHeadde Pen Pal - Newbie

I hope Dell's new stylus works as good on Pavilion X2 as it works on Envy X2. Was in dilemma of which stylus to get but your feedback has clear the doubt. Gotta order one from Dell's website now.

5. dbo_texas

dbo_texas Pen Pal - Newbie

Awesome news. I should be getting my X2 13.3" on Christmas. I'm getting the HP pen with it, but after reading your review I'm going to get the Dell pen too and compare them. Easy enough to return whichever one under performs. One question about the Dell 750-AAGN - will it stick to the right side of the tablet like the HP pen or will you just have to store it in the loop?

6. SchecterRocker

SchecterRocker Pen Pal - Newbie

I notice that every once in a while after waking the x2 15" from sleep, I have to toggle WiFi, but I'm not using the 5GHz band.

I think the best answer to your question is, both will have to be stored in the loop if you plan on moving around much. I wouldn't trust the official HP Stylus to for sure stay attached in a backpack or carrying case. It's definitely nice for desk use though.

7. klas

klas Pen Pal - Newbie

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

9. klas

klas Pen Pal - Newbie

Btw I have the new base X2 15" for a week or so, I also have Dell Venue 11 Pro (Atom version) and I am not sure I will keep it. First of all the screen is dimmer and less vibrant then Venue. Also build quality is subpar, uneven gaps, light leakage in the bottom of the screen, screen is slightly warped where the camera is. It's not that much faster with .8Ghz vs 1.4Ghz in Venue, but at least 1080p youtube clips are now playable in Chrome which I couldn't do before with Venue. Although both can play 4k video in IE on Youtube. I have an issue with wifi disconnection, but I noticed that there were newer firmware (although it's listed in September) which I upgraded as well as wifi driver, so we'll see if this resolves the issue. Overall, bigger screen, but otherwise not much different from a year old Venue.

10. DanielNTX

DanielNTX Scribbler - Standard Member

13" on sale at Best Buy for $799 today.